1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Dawn Beta Builds

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Dec 3, 2009.

1. chmoosi

chmoosi Warlord

Hey, two balance issues that I've noticed while playing the newest version:

there is an enormous difference between deity and immortal. For me, immortal is pretty easy and in many games I manage to get a HUGE tech lead against the other CIVs. In deity if I don't get slaugthered in the first 50 turns I'm really behind techwise and it seems very hard to beat.

Also, resources vs. tech trading is quite unbalanced. I just got joao to give me around 10000-15000 worth of beakers for stone and silver around after I just got education. I'm very behind in tech in this game so maybe that had something to do with it, but still.. a little bit unbalanced maybe ? :)

2. Stelmack

Stelmack Warlord

Already a known issue that is planned to be fixed.

3. konradcabral

konradcabral Prince

Big surprise when I came back at CFC and saw that AND is back!!!

I don't touch a Civ IV game for a year and a half, but when 1.76 is launched I'm sure I'll give it a try. I can't betatest now because I'm studying like a dog for my economics masters, but maybe in the winter break (aprox. 2 weaks from now).

Nice to come back and see all you old guys!

Cheers!

4. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Prince

Anyone else noticed that they can't found Kemetism? I've started 3 games now (advanced start; SVN build 495), and when I found ceremonial burial, I don't get it, and I don't see anyone else having it.

Choose religions OFF and Limited Religions OFF.

Anyone else can replicate?

5. PacMang

PacMang Chieftain

Yo! MIT just solved all of your AI problems!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111633-MIT-Teaches-Computer-to-Read-Conquer-the-Planet

They literally taught a computer how to read, gave it the game play manual for "Civilization" and then it proceeded to conquer the world.

This should be the new 'Ruthless AI' setting.

*Edit*

LOLOLOLOLO so I was reading the comments, people were all like thanks for Skynet, MIT, and someone replied, "I'm sure there's a Korean somewhere that can beat it..."

So true...

6. os79

os79 Deity

Grab Mysticism first, and change the civic to Prophet. Then go to Religion screen (F7 is the hotkey) and click on Kemetism there and convert.

7. os79

os79 Deity

Yeah, and there are a few other articles in Science news interwebs that indicate that stronger and faster computers are not so far in future. As Starks of "Game of Thrones" like to say, "Winter is coming." I would adapt this to say, "Transhuman Future is coming!"

8. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

Yes, please, we desperately need a better AI for Civ games! And especially Alpha Centauri!

I've played 2 games in beta 5, 800 turns total, one starting in Classical, the other in Industrial. The old religions (from techs already researched) never appeared! This is especially problematic for starts after Middle Ages, since it means no Religions will be present during the whole game, and religions are a very important part of the game!

Modern workboats are far too expensive compared to their ancient counterparts, and only get a few extra movement points. The biggest problem is that they replace work boats. This is also a problem for settlers : sometimes you just want to get that resource, you don't need a lot of fancy buildings to go with it... It seems to be a general problem : replacements are more expensive and rarely a lot better, like when in industrial age your guilds become obsolete, but you have to re-develop new corporations, which ALSO need a great person to found them. In Alpha Centauri, as you got better reactors, more expensive units got cheaper to produce, I wonder why the same game design hasn't been used in civ...

When hurrying from the domestic advisor, or going to a city view, the columns lose the sorting you select, it's annoying!

Dike and Construction firm bonuses aren't shown when hovering over city's :hammers:

You can't build a bakery with a modern granary, you'll have to scrap the modern granary, build a regular granary, build the bakery, then rebuild the modern granary.

9. c0dy

c0dy Chieftain

*Wrong thread*

10. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

Hamlets, Workshops and Farms can be built on tundra if a forest is present, cannot if it's plain tundra.

You cannot build a factory over a workshop.

My number of cities maintenance is negative.

Dreadnoughts have the same strength as Battlecruisers, but require Radio, have 2 less movement points, and cost 11% more. What's their point?

Corporation special buildings continue to work even when corporations are disabled.

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I was unable to reproduce this (admittedly in a C2C game where I just did an advanced start and used worldbuilder to give me the right terrain to test). I presume you DO have fresh water in the tiles concerned? (just asking the easy stuff first to get it out the way ;-)). Have a save game?

12. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

Yes, the tiles have Fresh Water. Look at tiles near Haithabu.

Also, Refrigeration says it allows to build Farms in Desert tiles, while it really doesn't.

Attached Files:

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Doesn't do it in C2C either. Common dll problem?

JosEPh

14. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I can't see any problem near Haithabu in your save game. Both the tundra tiles south and SE of Haithabu (that currently have hamlets) allow me to build farms. The only one that doesn't is the tile 2 to the NE, but that has no fresh water.

Regarding desert tiles and farms I have debugged the code and I know why it doesn't work, but it's unclear EXACTLY what the design intent was so not fixed yet pending a comment from Afforess. Basically Afforess added code to handle the <bAllowsDesertFarming> tag on technologies (TECH_REFRIGERATION has this). However, the farm improvement also has:
    Code:
    			<PrereqNatureYields>
    				<iYield>1</iYield>
    				<iYield>0</iYield>
    				<iYield>0</iYield>
    			</PrereqNatureYields>
    which is basically saying 'terrain that doesn't naturally produce at least one food cannot be farmed'. This isn't really consistent with the idea of farming desert!

Because of this it's unclear if the correct fix is:
    1. Remove the <PreReqNatureYield> conditions on farms; or
    2. Make the can-farm-deserts an absolute override in the DLL code
    Either is trivial to do, but which is right depends on the exact design intent...

Edit - spoken to Afforess (option (2)). Provided you have irrigation you can now build farms in the desert once you get refrigeration. DLL source pushed to SVN (rev 505 AND, 164 C2C [C2C also pushed DLL itself])

15. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

Ah, I thought Irrigation could be the answer!

You misunderstood me. The tundra tiles near Haithabu, I thought that forest allowed also Cottages in tundra tiles. Looks like that actually it's fresh water that allows Cottages, Workshops and Farms in tundra tiles. Is that working as expected? (There's also a display bug here: pre-chopping the forests - Farms and Workshops were not allowed IIRC.)

16. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yes. At least that's what the XML says (farms require fresh water, and it also enables cottages in flat terrain other than grasslands and plains, in which they are always allowed anyway)

17. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

I have an irrigated farm near a desert, but I still cannot build a farm in the desert...

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

You built the change I pushed to SVN yesterday to fix this?

19. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

I can't use SVN, it results in an install with missing files.

20. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Ok, for C2C you can get JUST the DLL from SVN and you'll be fine. For AND you'll need to wait for Afforess to make the next beta.