• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

A New Dawn Beta Builds

Just want to address the Nuclear Power Plant issue once more, Afforess.

Are you using the same type of XML tag for 'requires X toxic waste dumps' as the one used by the cathedrals/pantheons use for 'requires X temples', or did you come up with a new one? If you're using the same one as the cathedrals use, you'll only be able to build one Nuclear Power Plant, as the tag requires a separate increment of the prerequisite building for each instance of the 'advanced' building. In other words, building the Toxic Waste Dump would allow for only one Nuclear Power Plant if it's the same XML tag.

I won't be removing it; you can just turn it back on in the BUG Panel.
Whether to play with the date on or off is a play preference, not a mod issue. No need to change it - we can already make up our own mind as to what to do. And consider the silent majority, some of who won't know how to turn it back on.

Please don't mess with this.

Afforess, if you put the art folders together in a .fpk file with pak build it'll help with the download size and speed up the initial game start.

a small request, can you make a mod or a feature that allow us to disable my workers from building forts? i really dislike my workers building forts on resources... just feel very unrealistic.

Another Rife Feature Import, eh? Unfortuantly, I've maxed out the number of in-game settings for the moment, so no can do.

In the future though, I will add this.

Well, this is odd. I figured out how to get the installer to work for me.

Normally, I install to my gamepath, which is c:\Games (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind

The installer gives me an error every time.

I made a dummy path, with the full RoM in there.. C:\Program Files(x86)\etc... and it installs flawlessly. I just simply copy it over to my actual folder, and voila. This is a strange installer, heh.

Just want to address the Nuclear Power Plant issue once more, Afforess.

Are you using the same type of XML tag for 'requires X toxic waste dumps' as the one used by the cathedrals/pantheons use for 'requires X temples', or did you come up with a new one? If you're using the same one as the cathedrals use, you'll only be able to build one Nuclear Power Plant, as the tag requires a separate increment of the prerequisite building for each instance of the 'advanced' building. In other words, building the Toxic Waste Dump would allow for only one Nuclear Power Plant if it's the same XML tag.

True. However, I've added a boolean tag that lets me turn on or off scaling for prereqs if I want, so Nuclear Power Plants should only require 1 Toxic Waste Dump in Beta11...

Whether to play with the date on or off is a play preference, not a mod issue. No need to change it - we can already make up our own mind as to what to do. And consider the silent majority, some of who won't know how to turn it back on.

Please don't mess with this.

The silent majority is much less vocal than the very angry minority; until I get more complaints about this, I'm changing this. So if you want the date to be ON by default, speak now...

Afforess, if you put the art folders together in a .fpk file with pak build it'll help with the download size and speed up the initial game start.

IDK, I don't have as much art files as I do sound or movie files, which can't be compressed. And my installer already uses zlib compression (think 7z compression), so the savings would be negligible compared to the time it would take.

Not a bug, just something I am really happy with in beta10:lol:

Finally the bigger Font Size I changed in Civ4Theme_Common.thm can apply to my ROM+AND game:goodjob:

The silent majority is much less vocal than the very angry minority; until I get more complaints about this, I'm changing this. So if you want the date to be ON by default, speak now...

I actually like the date on. The previous two games I played, tech advancement moved very slowly, but in the one I just started it is going very fast. The main difference being that in the previous two games, I was in a strong position near advanced neighbors. Rather than feel the need to trade, I burned their cities, effectively creating a dark ages for civilization. As long as I was near the front, I was ok with tech stagnating.

In the last game I just started, I had almost no resources in my starting plot which stunted my growth, and I was stuck with a lot of jungle. Result? I traded tech with the tech leaders because I wasn't strong enough to fight, and I needed to play cooperatively or I was going to get marginalized. The difference is amazing when you trade with the 2-3 most advanced civs instead of destroy them.

I kind of like having the date approximation...it just lets me know how my world is doing relative to my last game.

About time topic:

Well, I'm tired of trying to figure out the dates and the above comments resonated with me. So I went into BUG option board and went to Clock tab. I found the checkbox that turned off dates if I checked it off. I liked it a lot.

So my next OS79 GameSpeed Turnincrement modmod will be exact replica of Zappara except for adding enough turns to bring the game up to 2200 CE, scaled to the Gamespeeds. Expect it to come out today later.

Afforess, please toss out my old GameSpeed Turnincrements modmod when you get my new version.

EVERYONE ELSE: PAY ATTENTION!!!

If you feel annoyed by the dates in your game and complain to me, my only answer will be silence :). No offense but I DO agree with Afforess about dates being illogical in this game. So if you want to be NOT annoyed, just go into BUG options and go to Clock tab and turn it off :).
Cheers!

Surely the answer here is to just set up approximates, and then let everyone adjust as suits themselves. The size of the map, how the game goes etc has a huge bearing on the accuracy of game date, so you are right in not even bothering about trying to get them exactly right. The only thing you could probably go for is turns vs finishing the tech tree, with any sort of reliability, and still, this will end up being map size dependent. Because I only play on giganitc/ eternity (and do actually like the date) I will post what balances (in terms of date accuracy) for this setting alone. Really (and of course don't bother:)) turns vs date vs technology level ratio's needs differnt scaling for each difficulty level+map size combination to have any hope for accuarcy, and even then random events in a game could skew it.

No wonder your tired of trying to scale game turns (the words chasing your tail come to mind;)) but all was not in vain, I leart a lot from examining your scaling (ie massive amount of turns at end scale of 2 months etc) which helped me develop my own.

ESC to exit any python screen that pops up. Or delete the full of resources mapscript.

OK, but are there plans to fix this bug?

Then simply don't automatic your workers.

Or you can keep a couple of non-automated workers around to build improvements and check the box that prevents workers from working on old improvements. Even without that feature, they might not build a fort on your farm if you've already improved the land.

How do you disable resource depletion? I thought I had deselected the module when installing but I had 2 stone, 1 clam and one fur resource depleted by turn 150 on marathon speed. It gets really annoying to have to go to the WB to add them back and I don't know how bad it is for the AI.

How do you disable resource depletion? I thought I had deselected the module when installing but I had 2 stone, 1 clam and one fur resource depleted by turn 150 on marathon speed. It gets really annoying to have to go to the WB to add them back and I don't know how bad it is for the AI.

I have had this also and definately no depletion installed. (beta10)
Code:
{Required Files} {Military Civics} {Beautification Project} {Castle Improvements} {Civic Flavors} {Ice Breaker} {Ideology Civics} Meteorology {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {War Prizes} Zoology Firestorm {The World's Fair} Arctic {Sea Monsters} {Larger Cities} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Event Images} Education Sports NIMBY {Civic Buildings & More Wonders} {Surround and Destroy} {No Storms} {Early Buildings} ANM Fortifications {Historical Wonders} {Mega Civ Patch} Domestic Withdraw Farming Guilds {Modern Corporations}

I am definitely in the "don't disable dates" camp. The vocal minority already know how to turn the date off, so please don't make unnecessary changes. I like having the date enabled.

Another Rife Feature Import, eh? Unfortuantly, I've maxed out the number of in-game settings for the moment, so no can do.

In the future though, I will add this.

True. However, I've added a boolean tag that lets me turn on or off scaling for prereqs if I want, so Nuclear Power Plants should only require 1 Toxic Waste Dump in Beta11...

I am definitely in the "don't disable dates" camp. The vocal minority already know how to turn the date off, so please don't make unnecessary changes. I like having the date enabled.

The problem is that turning the date off in BUG also turns off the Golden Age turns.

Date On.

JosEPh

Hey Afforess, get this lemon and make a lemonade. Build a mod that selects an pre-determined event in the game and name its year as 0. It can be the first discover of an important tech, or another thing, you name it.

Have you guys considered this suggestion of mine to solve the date question? This post got buried without response...

How soon before Beta11? I'm still trying to finish 1 game of Beta9. Might have to skip 10 altogether.

:crazyeye:

JosEPh

I have lost 3 of my main resources to depletion very fast playing marathon speed. Stone was the first to go, then I lost my hemp which I had only two turns prior built the plantation to use it and then my copper went. All this within the first 200 turns of the game I think.

Top Bottom