A New Dawn Beta Builds

There's issues with the advanced start option (rev 459):
- building a city, and buying techs, then "regenerating map" allows you to keep the techs you bought
- techs previously bought before the map was regenerated (e.g., ceremonial burial) which founded a religion in your empire gives you the tech, but you don't have the religion anymore (nor the option of researching the tech, so that religion is unavailable to you).

There's issues with the advanced start option (rev 459):
- building a city, and buying techs, then "regenerating map" allows you to keep the techs you bought
- techs previously bought before the map was regenerated (e.g., ceremonial burial) which founded a religion in your empire gives you the tech, but you don't have the religion anymore (nor the option of researching the tech, so that religion is unavailable to you).

Are you a software QA engineer in real life? ;-)

Are you a software QA engineer in real life? ;-)

HA! No. But thx :)
I figure if you guys spend as much time coding as you do, the least I can do is look for and report bugs :D

More issues with Advanced Start:
- Increasing culture of a city put a goodie hut within borders (giving me the goody hut gift). The gift was a new tech that allowed for Civic Prophets. <this next part has never happened before> I immediately got a popup that I can switch to prophets, nevermind, or look at the big picture. Clicking "look at the big picture" gave me access to the civics menu; I choose Prophets and began a revolution. This is all while I still in the advanced start editor mode!
- Then the other reported bug occurred. I regenerated the map and found (once I started the game), that I was in anarchy on the first turn, and had adopted Prophets by the second turn -- even though I had "regenerated the map" (effectively wiping my advanced start) between adopting prophets and starting the game.

hey guys,

thanks you - i can confirm the memory problems is gone.

ive played 400 turns so far with exactly the same settings i played with when i got the mafs, and now its seems fine.

one thing i noticed are the peaks - for some reason - now with usable mountains if i wanna see how much value i get from a peak terrain - it does not show up on all of the peaks, and in those the icons does appear - i only saw it after i got the peak tech (mountaineering in and -mine is with horseback riding).
i hope i explained my self right - on the map - i cant see icons of hammers or gold on peaks,
onlt after im able to walk on peaks -and even that wont show the peaks values on all the peaks on the map.

it wasnt like this on the lastet revision...

:)

im so happy that you fixed the maf problem - thanks.

Yup, memory allocation failure gone. Played the very same layout over 1k turns now. And turn speed is awesome, even with 14civs plus BarbWorld.

So I founded a religion, chose one, then it asked me to choose another one which was odd.

Knowing full well the rammifications of having two religions claim the same location as holy (Israel/Palestine anyone?) I was of course hesitant. After realizing there was no 'cancel' or 'back' button, and that I couldn't even access the regular menu, I chose a second. Then it popped up again. Chose a 3rd, 4th, then I closed the game coz it was apparently bugged.

This hasn't happened before so it was probably a fluke, but as this is a BETA I figured this was information you gents ought to have.

So I founded a religion, chose one, then it asked me to choose another one which was odd.

Knowing full well the rammifications of having two religions claim the same location as holy (Israel/Palestine anyone?) I was of course hesitant. After realizing there was no 'cancel' or 'back' button, and that I couldn't even access the regular menu, I chose a second. Then it popped up again. Chose a 3rd, 4th, then I closed the game coz it was apparently bugged.

This hasn't happened before so it was probably a fluke, but as this is a BETA I figured this was information you gents ought to have.

Hrggg... memory straining to remember what causes this. iirc there's a choose religion option in the general game options screen or custom game setup screen, and another one in the BUG options screen. Having both of them on let you do that. But I think Civ5 hadn't yet been announced the last time I saw this happen. Check and see what's enabled on your game? Also this seems a bit more hyper than that, might be the same bug, might not be.

Looking forward to testing the speed improvements. Increased turn times as the world develops really is the single biggest issue with big mods such as this (due to the engine, not the modmakers!) so they are always very welcome.

One question: why was Cure for Cancer removed in Beta 2? Overpowered?

One thing that bothers me for a while now, perhaps anyone knows an answer.

Occasionally my civ4.ini is reset to a "default" one with many options removed. If I'm lucky the backup is still intact and I just restore this one, but sometimes I have to move in another backup stored elsewhere because of this behavior. Does anyone else has this problem or heard of it ?

One thing that bothers me for a while now, perhaps anyone knows an answer.

Occasionally my civ4.ini is reset to a "default" one with many options removed. If I'm lucky the backup is still intact and I just restore this one, but sometimes I have to move in another backup stored elsewhere because of this behavior. Does anyone else has this problem or heard of it ?

I have this problem all the time. There is no fix for it that I see. What I do is Task manager and cancel the game from loading, then go to the ini and fix it myself. Then in-game, select your custom Profile in the options.

You probably could prevent your civ4.ini being changed by simply setting it to read-only. Rightlick->Properties-> Tick "read-only".

Looking forward to testing the speed improvements. Increased turn times as the world develops really is the single biggest issue with big mods such as this (due to the engine, not the modmakers!) so they are always very welcome.

One question: why was Cure for Cancer removed in Beta 2? Overpowered?

It's a project, not a wonder. Being left in as a wonder was a bug from 1.75. ;)

This is the old bug with "Choose religions". It appears it has not been fixed yet. Did you also have on "Limited religions"? I can't remember if it (the bug) requires both to be selected or not.

hi,

i think the ai pays too much gold for techs...

maybe its possible to make the ai not to pay tons of gold for a single tech...i just got payed 3000 gold for a regular tech, and i keep get crazy offers.

maybe make the ai pay half as much, and not all of its treasury....

hey guys,

thanks you - i can confirm the memory problems is gone.

ive played 400 turns so far with exactly the same settings i played with when i got the mafs, and now its seems fine.

one thing i noticed are the peaks - for some reason - now with usable mountains if i wanna see how much value i get from a peak terrain - it does not show up on all of the peaks, and in those the icons does appear - i only saw it after i got the peak tech (mountaineering in and -mine is with horseback riding).
i hope i explained my self right - on the map - i cant see icons of hammers or gold on peaks,
onlt after im able to walk on peaks -and even that wont show the peaks values on all the peaks on the map.

it wasnt like this on the lastet revision...

:)

im so happy that you fixed the maf problem - thanks.

It's deliberate and was fixed in the last couple of days. You can't work peaks within your city cross until you figure out how to move through peaks. Kinda makes sense wouldn't you say?

hi,

i think the ai pays too much gold for techs...

maybe its possible to make the ai not to pay tons of gold for a single tech...i just got payed 3000 gold for a regular tech, and i keep get crazy offers.

maybe make the ai pay half as much, and not all of its treasury....

Shut up about that! The AI is great savior when it offers over 9000 gold for a single technology when I have more than four to spare. I say it balances out considering that the AI pretty much NEVER trades technologies with me unless I have it 1 turn away from completing, or it's centuries overdue.

Does anyone else find that with the civic changes, Despotism is very underwhelming compared to Monarchy, which you can reach almost as quickly? Even when I get bronze working first, I find myself getting Monarchy as soon as possible because it's just so much better.

Does anyone else find that with the civic changes, Despotism is very underwhelming compared to Monarchy, which you can reach almost as quickly? Even when I get bronze working first, I find myself getting Monarchy as soon as possible because it's just so much better.

What part of Despotism do you dislike compared to what of Monarchy do you like?

What part of Despotism do you dislike compared to what of Monarchy do you like?

Despotism still has a high maintenance level, and high levels of unhappiness, with few, if any redeeming elements. Given the extremely close proximity between the two civ choices, Despotism is almost totally useless. Very rarely do I ever use it as a temporary stepping stone between Chiefdom and Monarchy; and only if the difficulty level is high enough that I need just one or two less unhappinesses in my cities.

Top Bottom