A New Dawn Beta Builds

I maybe found a bug.
Wanted to start a custom game with ROM_EARTH3 map and the game won't start at all.
It stucks on initializing waited 20 minutes in the hope it would start sometime but it wouldn't...

Does anyone else find that with the civic changes, Despotism is very underwhelming compared to Monarchy, which you can reach almost as quickly? Even when I get bronze working first, I find myself getting Monarchy as soon as possible because it's just so much better.

Despotism still has a high maintenance level, and high levels of unhappiness, with few, if any redeeming elements. Given the extremely close proximity between the two civ choices, Despotism is almost totally useless. Very rarely do I ever use it as a temporary stepping stone between Chiefdom and Monarchy; and only if the difficulty level is high enough that I need just one or two less unhappinesses in my cities.

The 30% more food needed for city growth is also a big deterrent from despotism in itself, especially if I'm still in tribalism when I get bronze working.

Concur with above...I'm rushing to monarchy every game now to get over the 3 city limit and avoid despotism every time. The food penalty (slowing growth) is really rough for an expansionist strategy.

It's deliberate and was fixed in the last couple of days. You can't work peaks within your city cross until you figure out how to move through peaks. Kinda makes sense wouldn't you say?

yeah its not bad at all, needs getting used to. i just thought its some bug.

thanks.

Shut up about that! The AI is great savior when it offers over 9000 gold for a single technology when I have more than four to spare. I say it balances out considering that the AI pretty much NEVER trades technologies with me unless I have it 1 turn away from completing, or it's centuries overdue.

well maybe make it optional, its a matter of taste i guess.

There's issues with the advanced start option (rev 459):
- building a city, and buying techs, then "regenerating map" allows you to keep the techs you bought
- techs previously bought before the map was regenerated (e.g., ceremonial burial) which founded a religion in your empire gives you the tech, but you don't have the religion anymore (nor the option of researching the tech, so that religion is unavailable to you).

Ok - update. I want to do some more testing, but I don't think this can be replicated. I think this only occurs if you get a religion from a tech from a goodiehut (e.g., culture expand), and then regenerate map. When I "bought" a bunch of techs on advanced start, they did correctly reset when I regenerated the map.

What part of Despotism do you dislike compared to what of Monarchy do you like?

Pretty much exactly what AndarielHalo said.

The only advantage of despotism over monarchy seems to be for early military rushes, but Monarchy's bonuses are just so good for growth that I find it's well worth the added military maintenance, even when rushing.

The 30% more food needed for city growth is also a big deterrent from despotism in itself, especially if I'm still in tribalism when I get bronze working.

Afforess, may I make a feature request?

I would like a config option which allows a limit to be put on the max number of cities that can be built by each player in the game, e.g. no more than 10 cities per player. Although on larger maps this could well result in every player ending up with 10 cities, I think it could have positive speed benefits by preventing the AI from doing it's usual trick of founding useless cities in every little remaining nook and cranny of unclaimed territory on the map and slowing down the game without showing any real benefit to the player experience. It would also effectively put a cap on the amount of units that the AI can churn out within the period of the game, again increasing performance somewhat. If the city cap was player customisable in a config file (or in the AND options screen in game) it would allow flexibility to scale the city limit based on map size.

I don't know how difficult this would be to code, but based on some of the other remarkable options you have introduced I can't see it being too hard for you. :)

Munger,

hi, you can do this now if you like,
it require a bit work but not to problematic -
in the cciv4civicinfo.xml file - you got a tag that limits cities per player - its the first civic i think,
just set the number you want - and copy paste it to each and every civic in the file.
this will give you the limit you want.

its a really really simple thing to do - you can use notepad+ or winmerge they are both free.
have fun.

*Slaps forehead* Duh, of course! :rolleyes:

Thanks Keldath. I've now made this change and will test it out. Cheers. :goodjob:

Oh, one other thing completely unrelated... the new Walker Mech unit seems to have no details whatsoever in the Civilopedia and the unit pic shows up as a pink square. Could anyone confirm this (it may just be my own setup)? Thanks.

Munger,

hi, you can do this now if you like,
it require a bit work but not to problematic -
in the cciv4civicinfo.xml file - you got a tag that limits cities per player - its the first civic i think,
just set the number you want - and copy paste it to each and every civic in the file.
this will give you the limit you want.

its a really really simple thing to do - you can use notepad+ or winmerge they are both free.
have fun.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I frequently play on advanced start, and having a limited # of cities has been very frustrating :)

I noticed that the behavior when stack attacking another stack (without the game option enabled) is now different. After one battle the whole stack goes into "wait for next turn" mode and I have to reselect/wake the stack for the next attack. In the previous versions the stack stayed active minus the unit that ran the last attack (or including it if moves remained).

This seems more tedious to do, so is there a reason for this change ?

(Rev 460 is my current version)

I noticed that the behavior when stack attacking another stack (without the game option enabled) is now different. After one battle the whole stack goes into "wait for next turn" mode and I have to reselect/wake the stack for the next attack. In the previous versions the stack stayed active minus the unit that ran the last attack (or including it if moves remained).

This seems more tedious to do, so is there a reason for this change ?

(Rev 460 is my current version)

It's probably a side effect of the fix to the endless-AI-turn hang, which slightly changed how unit stack orders are processed. I'll try to find time to look at it, but I'm kinda backed up right now so it'll be mid-week next week before I am likely to get to it.

I don't know what you did to the AI, but its giving me a hell of a time on Noble. Good job.

Has something been introduced in 1.76 that affects when a settler can settle? For some reason every once and a while I lose the build city option from my settlers. Is it because of a new game condition? They are always well more than 3 space from another city, and I never experienced that in 1.75.

Thanks!

@Breaker29,
Check the Civic Chiefdom. There lies your answer.

JosEPh ;)

I love a new dawn, first time in a while playing ROM, with a new 2500k at 3.5GHZ and the integrated graphics. I am playing with 10 civs on a medium pan-gay and round times are barely noticeable, thats at SETI program time.
Plus the whole game is very smooth, I never notice any lag no matter how big the city or how many units I am picking. All savegame and startup load times are about 5 seconds. (SSD)
I ran across 2 MAFs,but that is probably because of win7 32bit, does civ4 use more than 2GB in a 64bit windows? Curiosly both MAFs were during my turn, I always had those during waiting for round.
I had 7 or 8 crashes due to the intel graphics driver, it showed me a window with APPCRASH and some cryptic numbers, this has not happened since I switched to fullscreen native resolution.
I found a bug with limited religions, when I got to chose mine, I was asked unlimited times, I only got out of this dialog by hammering escape after chosing one bringing up the game menu, after closing that the dialog was gone.
Oh and at one time one AI was sending 40 missionaries across my zone back to its homeland from what I am guessing was an overkill of conversion.
Can't wait to try a bigger map and test round times at the end and overclock!

We've fixed the problem with the saves in multiplayer.
The client versions were a little different than the host versions but now there are multiple OOS Errors around the ages 1600-1650 and we couldn't get rid off it.
In former versions after reloading the save OOS were gone but in version 1.76b2 there is no way to leave them behind...

Top Bottom