AND 1.76b4
Some problems in school building.
At the first line: 10% science
Actual: -17.4 science

AND 1.76b4
Some problems in school building.
At the first line: 10% science
Actual: -17.4 science

I think thats because as soon as a school is build the monasteries (which give research bonuses) are disabled.

I keep getting this error when i installed Beta 3, and now with Beta 4 also, i did a complete, re-install of 1.75, then 1.75c, then beta4, and this occurred?? I already have d/l'ed three times, same results.

I keep getting this error when i installed Beta 3, and now with Beta 4 also, i did a complete, re-install of 1.75, then 1.75c, then beta4, and this occurred?? I already have d/l'ed three times, same results.:mad:

Strategy

Try instal without patch C. I Installed beta4 last night and forgot to instal patch c and I didint get any errors

Strategy

Try instal without patch C. I Installed beta4 last night and forgot to instal patch c and I didint get any errors

OK tried it, didnt work, but then i thought, i remember AND put a folder inside a folder, and sure enough there was Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn (folder inside the Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn folder) so i cut that out and pasted it over the original Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn, at least the BUG screen shows up correctly, now:whew::crazyeye:

Hey Afforess, I'm really enjoying the 1.76 betas - great work! Just one question (hopefully I haven't missed it being answered elsewhere...), is there a way I can disable the fixed borders feature in 1.76? I have scoured the game options and BUG options menu over and over and can't seem to find any setting to disable this one.

Isn't the Fixed Borders now tied to Civics? Iirc it is.

JosEPh :)

Yup, pretty sure it is.

BTW - Afforess and Koshling I just have to say I am supremely impressed with the speed improvements in 1.76. I used to pretty much give up once I hit the modern era simply due to the grindingly long turn times, but I am currently in an epic game on a standard map in the transhuman era with around 100 large cities between about 10 civs and the turn times are probably no more than 5-10 seconds in length. As a result I may actually complete a mastery victory for the first time in AND! Thank heavens you came back to the mod as in my opinion this is the single best improvement to it ever. A great achievement!

Isn't the Fixed Borders now tied to Civics? Iirc it is.

JosEPh :)

I understand that fixed borders is now tied to civic choices (autocratic vs democratic governments) but hopefully there is still a way to disable this feature?

Almost every other feature can be turned on or off to suite gameplay, it would be a shame if this feature wasn't toggle-able, considering this feature is quite a change from the core CivIV border mechanics.

Many mods have modifications that are hard-wired according to the modder's preferences. Notice that Afforess hard-wire extremely few modifications as contrasted to other modders, so I guess you can consider this Fixed Borders thing as Afforess thing, y'know?

BTW, yes I have SVN access. But wanted to be sure. Sure, will change the Spearmen reqs to add obsidian, and hunt down xml tag that have something with Barracks and animals and change it too.

Probably a no brainer but is there any reason to use the highest compression when building the installer for SVN builds for self use ?

First off great job on the decreasing end of turn time!

I have played thru this beta over the weekend (I play epic so it goes faster); I went ahead and wrote down issues as I came across them - they are in no particular order;

1) I dislike the commando promotion for a certain early horse unit; all the enemy does is go deep in my territory and capture workers; extremely cheap and annoying

2) Though this is not new to this version I would like to take the opportunity to ask why when enabling auto build, the AI has such an aversion to building health buildings (notably Aqueduct). Even if the city has rampant unhealthyness, has built everything, the AI prefers to build tech / wealth as opposed to building aqueducts etc.

3) I am no longer able to found corporations

4) Due to the above I went into the world editor to create my corporation, only to find that I cannot spread it by building corporate executives. I like to have CONTROL over which cities I spread my corporations to (I like to create mining inc for new cities)

5) Whats up with the free market civic nerf? No extra trade routes, no bonus trade route yield. Compare it to guilds (extra trade route all cities AND 50% trade route yield). Needless to say I never switched to free market when it became available.

6) Ancient era is imbalanced even with the idea of increasing swordsman to 7 (with athletics) and archers to 4 (mathematics). Axemen get left behind and archers are suddenly op with relation to every other unit (minus the swordsman).

7) War elephant is currently too weak (see above) - also pikemen come very early in the game so I think the elephant needs a slight buff

8) Heroic Epic has exceedingly high XP requirements in order to build. I can never build it even throughout the classical era. Its requirement REALLY needs to go down a couple of notches

9) I would suggest reducing research cost of chariotry to 60 (down from 100). Chariots were already available with The Wheel tech in BTS.

10) I have removed the bonus against mounted units from Javelineers completely in order to give slight breathing space for chariots (this combined with the above tech reduction cost finally starts to make war chariots feasable as an early war unit)

11) Colloseum needs to give a +1 happy on top of its current happiness bonus to help offset the difficulty level modifications which reduced happiness. Usually when a colloseam is built in the classical era, it does not even give 1 happiness unless the city is already mega huge.

12) Fixed borders MUST be made optional again. By making it mandatory all culture related strategy has been obliterated in its entirety;

A) Sistine chapel, Artist Guilds and special religious buildings (that require music - eg Hindu Mandir) that give 50% culture bonus are now all useless

B) Pacifism is now partially pointless (coz it gives 100% culture bonus)

In my previous games if I felt unthreatned, I used to build a basic army and then go pacifism for about some 50 turns or so AND combine my pacifism with all the aforementioned tactics (sistine chapel, temples, monastaries and artist guilds galore). I was pushing borders to such an extent it was not even funny and I really loved it...

14) Pyramids giving a free graveyard instead of irrigation canals simply does not make it worth building anymore (minus the engineer GP points).

15) Abstract t idea here (coz it would require finding an appropriate 3D model) but it would be nice for the future era to have a colony pod (think alpha centauri) which would basically be the upgrade for the pioneer. I dont have a tech suggestion for as to when it should be available.

16) Machine gun unites upgrades to / gets obsolete to anti air guns - this must be a mistake as machine guns have a niche with their defense against mounted, gunpowder and melee units; anti aircraft gun has none of these bonuses AND is weaker in strength

17) There seems to be an issue with war weariness; I had someone declare war on me and within the first turn I was already getting -7 happiness in some of my cities (they captured a city, maybe thats why?)

12) Fixed borders MUST be made optional again. By making it mandatory all culture related strategy has been obliterated in its entirety;

A) Sistine chapel, Artist Guilds and special religious buildings (that require music - eg Hindu Mandir) that give 50% culture bonus are now all useless

In my previous games if I felt unthreatned, I used to build a basic army and then go pacifism for about some 50 turns or so AND combine my pacifism with all the aforementioned tactics (sistine chapel, temples, monastaries and artist guilds galore). I was pushing borders to such an extent it was not even funny and I really loved it...

Making fixed borders optional is only a partial solution anyway - if it's not balanced right for those that want it in the game it needs to be. So, avoiding the question of whether or not fixed borders should be optional or not (please let's keep THAT debate separate) what needs to be done to tweak it for balance purposes?

Here are two suggestions:

1) Introduce a third state between normal borers and fixed borders(call it resistant borders or something). This would work like normal borders with the exception of introducing some hysteresis in the ownership calculation that favors the current owner (so instead of just having to be the highest culture in that tile to gain control [or whatever the exact calculation is right now] you would need to be higher by some percentage threshold than the current oner to wrest control). This could be genarlised to a sliding scale of 'border elasticity' which could then potentially be influenced by civis, buildings (adding % say), etc.

2) Modify the civics so that fixed bordrers becomes MUCH rarer (maybe only a couple of civics would offer it, so it's hard to stay with a fixed border option for large traunches of the game). Many of those that currently have fixed borders maybe would get the new 'resistant borders' perhaps. If we went for th generalised slidign scale approach you could even have civic choices that DE-stabilize your border control (negative elasticity changes)

Anyway, the idea would be for civic choices to have an effect on the elasticity of the borders without it being quite so absolute (in most cases) as the current fixed borders are...?​

beta 4 bug report

Entering civilopedia trough main menu entrance, choosing corporations and taking mouse cursor on CEO (Unique unit) makes game crash. It can be reproduced, tried several times and always get crash.

beta 4 bug report

Entering civilopedia trough main menu entrance, choosing corporations and taking mouse cursor on CEO (Unique unit) makes game crash. It can be reproduced, tried several times and always get crash.

It's been reported by a few people. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it and pin it down later this afternoon

First off great job on the decreasing end of turn time!

I have played thru this beta over the weekend (I play epic so it goes faster); I went ahead and wrote down issues as I came across them - they are in no particular order;

1) I dislike the commando promotion for a certain early horse unit; all the enemy does is go deep in my territory and capture workers; extremely cheap and annoying

2) Though this is not new to this version I would like to take the opportunity to ask why when enabling auto build, the AI has such an aversion to building health buildings (notably Aqueduct). Even if the city has rampant unhealthyness, has built everything, the AI prefers to build tech / wealth as opposed to building aqueducts etc.

3) I am no longer able to found corporations

4) Due to the above I went into the world editor to create my corporation, only to find that I cannot spread it by building corporate executives. I like to have CONTROL over which cities I spread my corporations to (I like to create mining inc for new cities)

5) Whats up with the free market civic nerf? No extra trade routes, no bonus trade route yield. Compare it to guilds (extra trade route all cities AND 50% trade route yield). Needless to say I never switched to free market when it became available.

6) Ancient era is imbalanced even with the idea of increasing swordsman to 7 (with athletics) and archers to 4 (mathematics). Axemen get left behind and archers are suddenly op with relation to every other unit (minus the swordsman).

7) War elephant is currently too weak (see above) - also pikemen come very early in the game so I think the elephant needs a slight buff

8) Heroic Epic has exceedingly high XP requirements in order to build. I can never build it even throughout the classical era. Its requirement REALLY needs to go down a couple of notches

9) I would suggest reducing research cost of chariotry to 60 (down from 100). Chariots were already available with The Wheel tech in BTS.

10) I have removed the bonus against mounted units from Javelineers completely in order to give slight breathing space for chariots (this combined with the above tech reduction cost finally starts to make them feasable as an early war unit)

11) Colloseum needs to give a +1 happy on top of its current happiness bonus to help offset the difficulty level modifications which reduced happiness. Usually when a colloseam is built in the classical era, it does not even give 1 happiness unless the city is already mega huge.

14) Pyramids giving a free graveyard instead of irrigation canals simply does not make it worth building anymore (minus the engineer GP points).

15) Abstract t idea here (coz it would require finding an appropriate 3D model) but it would be nice for the future era to have a colony pod (think alpha centauri) which would basically be the upgrade for the pioneer. I dont have a tech suggestion for as to when it should be available.

16) Machine gun unites upgrades to / gets obsolete to anti air guns - this must be a mistake as machine guns have a niche with their defense against mounted, gunpowder and melee units; anti aircraft gun has none of these bonuses AND is weaker in strength

17) There seems to be an issue with war weariness; I had someone declare war on me and within the first turn I was already getting -7 happiness in some of my cities (they captured a city, maybe thats why?)

1.) Sounds like it's working as intended then.

2.) If your city is still growing, health is a waste, so I agree with the AI on this one.

3.) Turn off Realistic Corporations.

4.) See 3.

5.) It didn't get nerfed. It's the only civic that gives extra commerce to the cottage line. I'll bump up the commerce a tiny bit, but I think it's fine.

6.) I fail to see how this is a problem. Axemen get left behind because they are inferior.

7.) They now get +1 str with Siege Warfare and Armored Calvary, for a total of 10 str.

8.) It's a Heroic epic. It's not to be easy to build.

9.) Reduced.

10.) Done.

11.) Nope - But I will bump it from 10% Happy to 15% happy per citizen

12.) Not happening. Only early civics (Monarchy and older) and Fascist give fixed borders. Once you get out of the early eras, borders will become influenced by culture. You just need to play longer.

14.) Graveyards are pretty nice - It's staying.

15.) ...Not really into more content.

16.) Now upgrades to SAM unit.

17.) IDK without more specifics.

Making fixed borders optional is only a partial solution anyway - if it's not balanced right for those that want it in the game it needs to be. So, avoiding the question of whether or not fixed borders should be optional or not (please let's keep THAT debate separate) what needs to be done to tweak it for balance purposes?

Here are two suggestions:

1) Introduce a third state between normal borers and fixed borders(call it resistant borders or something). This would work like normal borders with the exception of introducing some hysteresis in the ownership calculation that favors the current owner (so instead of just having to be the highest culture in that tile to gain control [or whatever the exact calculation is right now] you would need to be higher by some percentage threshold than the current oner to wrest control). This could be genarlised to a sliding scale of 'border elasticity' which could then potentially be influenced by civis, buildings (adding % say), etc.

2) Modify the civics so that fixed bordrers becomes MUCH rarer (maybe only a couple of civics would offer it, so it's hard to stay with a fixed border option for large traunches of the game). Many of those that currently have fixed borders maybe would get the new 'resistant borders' perhaps. If we went for th generalised slidign scale approach you could even have civic choices that DE-stabilize your border control (negative elasticity changes)

Anyway, the idea would be for civic choices to have an effect on the elasticity of the borders without it being quite so absolute (in most cases) as the current fixed borders are...?

1.) Sounds a bit too complex - I want to keep it simple.

2.) Only 3 civics give fixed borders. Despotism, Monarchy, and Fascism. How on earth is that too many?

On the first page it says that Vassalage and Parliament have been removed as Civic options yet when I go to the Civic window, it still shows them in the list. I ran the 1.75->1.76B4 installer yesterday and was wondering what might be causing this?

Top Bottom