A Not So Modest Proposal Regarding Buildings, Resources and Units

Info files are only loaded once at startup of the game.
I'd not bind the entire XML file but each entry in it could be bound to one. In that case it would exist more than once in memory afterwards and the right one is swapped in on game start or load depending on the selected options.
It'd be somewhat streamlined from the perspective of the xml programming, yes. But yeah, setting something like that up would be the kind of skill and knowledge its going to take years from now to have developed for me. I get the idea, but how to store and hold the two definitions at once, with the same primary key tag while keeping the rest of the coding referring to the correct one is what would really throw me. WAY beyond my beginner's skills.

It'd be somewhat streamlined from the perspective of the xml programming, yes. But yeah, setting something like that up would be the kind of skill and knowledge its going to take years from now to have developed for me. I get the idea, but how to store and hold the two definitions at once, with the same primary key tag while keeping the rest of the coding referring to the correct one is what would really throw me. WAY beyond my beginner's skills.
Well, if it is something we have good use for I will implement it.

Absolutely would be useful!!!

It would help tremendously in being able to subdivide the combat mod into various options and would also assist in this case here with Praetyre's Project Hades. It'd give us a LOT of maneuverability we don't currently possess in designing various options where players are polarized on what syle of game they prefer. This includes things like Heroes as well.

Currently we can give a module that players can turn off but most players, not being modders or wanting to learn the first thing on file manipulation, will never utilize the module loading to provide themselves with the options they have. Such a mechanism would make it much easier for us to design gameoptions that allow that kind of control for a player at the startup of a game.

Hydro funneling everything thru 2 or 3 buildings to get the Rest of the buildings IS the problem. Then later Obsoleting the Unlocking building exacerbates the problem. Not every building in this game should be dependent upon Barter and Trade Posts.

Now throw in the additional problem of the prereqs. Seriously? up to 7 AND/OR prereqs for a building? That's overly complicated and takes away from the game play. I as a player now have to acquire up to 7 other "resources" or "conditions" to get this building? No thank you, too complicated and too demanding.

Loosen the Barter/Trade post/Storage Pit/Granary strangle hold on the buildings.

JosEPh

I would normally agree but this actually helps us in the long run get ready for off world colonies where buildings cannot be made on those colonies until the right conditions are met. Otherwise one could build random buildings on the Moon or Mars.

I would normally agree but this actually helps us in the long run get ready for off world colonies where buildings cannot be made on those colonies until the right conditions are met. Otherwise one could build random buildings on the Moon or Mars.

We can easily add a MapTypes tag on building prereqs

We can easily add a MapTypes tag on building prereqs

Yeah, AIAndy said it would be possible to add a GOM_MAP to the Constructconditions, so adding a MapTypes tag or what have you should not be an issue. If that is the only reason why everything is being funneled through a couple buildings, then I think that some of those prereqs should be removed.

Look Hydro I can see what you're wanting to accomplish and so far I've eventually come over to you're way of thinking on many things, "After" some compromising from you and much "kicking and screaming" from me.

There was once a time in RoM when you (plural) (I) got things going just right and the Mod flowed and each turn was things clicking and falling into place. I have not felt that way for sometime now with C2C.

It's more and more tedium. For ex. I've got an AI on my border with 129 units sitting in his border city just waiting for me to flinch. But instead of building up my forces and duking it out with him, I'm trying to see what's left in the build que to quell the rising :yuck: or Crime or pollution or Unhappiness, or whatever. I can't get focused caused I'm getting pulled in too many directions.

Does this make any sense to you, do you see my frustration? Am I reaching a saturation point? Should I be reaching a saturation point? Shouldn't I instead see the challenge and embrace it? Why Does it "bother" me? It is after all you alls work and effort and ideas. I'm just an old critic who's lost something he can't quite put his finger on to pin it down. And just out to make your life harder I guess?

JosEPh

How come you cannot make forces? Most units do not require buildings. Sure siege, cannons, mounted, canine, ships and thief units do but that was already in place long before I did the recent tweaks. Also much of the training places were left alone. Thus if you a warmonger you don't have to worry as much about your buildings.

As for the :mad:, :yuck: and crime there has been for a very long time a majority of people saying there was just too much :), :health: and :gold:. I would say the latest civic changes has changed it a lot more. Especially in the way of gold.

I like you and do listen but you seem to be becoming the "boy who cried wolf". From my experiences in games it not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. :deadhorse:

@Joe... that sounds a bit like we might have buildings and units costing just a bit more than they should still which my last few plays seemed to indicate. But I admit its definitely a challenge that way and perhaps one to 'embrace'. I'm not sure yet cuz I haven't been able to play through much in a while now.

How come you cannot make forces? Most units do not require buildings. Sure siege, cannons, mounted, canine, ships and thief units do but that was already in place long before I did the recent tweaks. Also much of the training places were left alone. Thus if you a warmonger you don't have to worry as much about your buildings.

As for the :mad:, :yuck: and crime there has been for a very long time a majority of people saying there was just too much :), :health: and :gold:. I would say the latest civic changes has changed it a lot more. Especially in the way of gold.

I like you and do listen but you seem to be becoming the "boy who cried wolf". From my experiences in games it not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. :deadhorse:

I can and do make forces. Cause if you had an aggressive AI with 129 units in his border city and you have border cities across from him whats keeping him from attacking? My number of units around that area! When the fight does occur it will be massive.

Maybe to you it's "crying wolf" but not from my viewpoint. And how can you "not worry about your buildings" if you're warmonger (and this mod makes you one)? Are you saying the mod will play it self when you go to war? I don't think so. (Epiphany!) Oh but I forget you automate Every thing! And I Do Not. No wonder we can't see things the same. :eek: You Macro and I Micro. Well I guess I need to chuck all my play experience and learn the ways of the Macro then. Foolish person that I am. :lol:

JosEPh :)

Look Hydro I can see what you're wanting to accomplish and so far I've eventually come over to you're way of thinking on many things, "After" some compromising from you and much "kicking and screaming" from me.

There was once a time in RoM when you (plural) (I) got things going just right and the Mod flowed and each turn was things clicking and falling into place. I have not felt that way for sometime now with C2C.

It's more and more tedium. For ex. I've got an AI on my border with 129 units sitting in his border city just waiting for me to flinch. But instead of building up my forces and duking it out with him, I'm trying to see what's left in the build que to quell the rising :yuck: or Crime or pollution or Unhappiness, or whatever. I can't get focused caused I'm getting pulled in too many directions.

Does this make any sense to you, do you see my frustration? Am I reaching a saturation point? Should I be reaching a saturation point? Shouldn't I instead see the challenge and embrace it? Why Does it "bother" me? It is after all you alls work and effort and ideas. I'm just an old critic who's lost something he can't quite put his finger on to pin it down. And just out to make your life harder I guess?

JosEPh
Well, that sounds like you have to make a decision what you focus on instead of just doing everything at once. If everything just flows where is the strategy?

Joe has a point about the new building prerequisite lines, They are a bit over-detailed in my opinion, especially in later eras. I don't think that quite such a multiplicity of upgrade OR paths is really necessary, given the other challenges the mod presents. It takes away somewhat from the fun to have to micromanage so much in this one aspect of the game.

However, I do think that a good strategy would be to ignore some of these negatives, so long as overall you are in the green for your :gold: levels. Build up a military and crush your enemy, and if you have Unhealth, ignore it for a while so long as you can keep your Treasury OK. Then after the war spend some resources on internal improvements to help the situation. But there is most certainly an issue I believe with the sheer immensity of prerequisites in Praetyre's suggestions.

Well, that sounds like you have to make a decision what you focus on instead of just doing everything at once. If everything just flows where is the strategy?

You have that backwards AIAndy.

When the "Flow" clicks that's when all your strategys are doing what you wanted. A plan coming together.

JosEPh

is anyone is planning to remove stone as separate resource? it seems as logical to remove it, or make it something like gem. a mountain or peak in a city borders should give an option to build quarry in the city that provide stone resource.

is anyone is planning to remove stone as separate resource? it seems as logical to remove it, or make it something like gem. a mountain or peak in a city borders should give an option to build quarry in the city that provide stone resource.

Not all stone is useful stone. For instance some are brittle and can crumble. Stone resource is like Prime Timber or Fine Clay. It is the good quality stuff that can used for construction.

Please consider removing the barter/tradepost prereq for Fletcher's hut. This is a must have early city bldg and having to wait x number of turns to build one of the Posts before you can build fletcher and then bld a decent archer can be devastating to player and AI.

JosEPh

Personaly barter/trading post requirements are stupid.

Why i should have barter/trading post before i can build ex tablet maker???
What is the logic of that?

Please explain me why i cant produce something localy without barter/trading post?

Top Bottom