A patch will NOT fix this game. Ever.

Dearmad

Dead weight
We know this, Fanatics... A patch didn't fix civ v. It took a few full sized expansion packs to get there.

The sad truth is the depth of AI problems, game balance problems (religion, districts), and UI problems, and outright game design problems makes this abundantly... depressingly clear.

So adjust your expectations to match the established pattern and truth put down by civ v, and actually civ iv before that. Settle in, and prepare your wallets for maybe this coming December when the game will finally get the amount of changes it requires in order to... Well, for me, be worth the time to play.

Argue and rail all you want, but I will stand by this prediction.

I play it modded and I think it's much closer to very good than you say. The tactical AI is the main hurdle left to fix. That part is admitedly not very good, although honestly if they just taught it to beeline cities more often and changed a few game rules around it would flow fine.

I remember Civ 5 patches that improved AI. It did take years for it to be in the current state, though. It just seems to me, from that experience, Civ 6 devs should be able to transition those lessons to the new iteration. I'm not understanding why, for example, Civ BE AI was so, so bad, even when Civ 5 AI was improving. I'm not understanding why this wasn't a primary focus in Civ 6 development, from the past troubles.

The AI "can play the game". It just doesn't play well, competitively, with humans. It really should.

I know what will fix it, making more whiny-ass posts. A bloo bloo civ6 sucks abloo. We get it already, honest. Go back to suckling 4's teats and spare everybody the god damn bellyaching, jesus.

Moderator Action: If you cannot post in a civil and constructive manner, please refrain from posting.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think anyone with a functional brain would even anticipate that patch will fix major issues?
I would be happy and gladly donate some money if they fix last build bug or ESCaping from citizen screen into settings menu.

And i know this is a lot to expect, i understand that resources are tight and technology simply isn't there yet but fingers crossed! ...and if i can be completely honest, in my wildest dreams i dream about numbers, and numbers updating in real time, not next turn, and other stuff about the game, but this forums are family friendly, i can't speak about other stuff i would like patches fix.

Such a shame, really loved the game at first and had insanely high hopes for it. But as the time moved on and "patches" came, wow, a slap in the face. They make a 70 million sales and can't allocate 2 programmers to fix basic issues? Lame. Game is ok, but it's kinda meh when you realize that you simply can't lose vs AI. It's not possible to lose after you set your empire in motion.

p.s. make whining great again

It's funny how people are complaining that the game is really bad and it won't be fixed any time soon etc etc etc. Maybe that's true. For the base game. But the mods already fixed all your problems, so let me ask you: Do you prefer a bad game with the knowledge that this is how the programmers made it, or a good game with the knowledge players had to tweak the game into a good game themselves? Because I choose the second over the first any day.

A patch was never going to fix Civ V, yet it's ended up being widely hailed as the best of the series.

A patch was never going to fix Civ IV, yet it's still remembered as one of the best turn based strategy games of it's time, and held by many as the best of the series.

But no, of course Civ VI can never be "fixed". We knows this because reasons.

That said, you're not wrong. It will take expansions, and we'll be lucky if it doesn't take patches after that (...looking at you Beyond the Sword).

It's funny how people are complaining that the game is really bad and it won't be fixed any time soon etc etc etc. Maybe that's true. For the base game. But the mods already fixed all your problems, so let me ask you: Do you prefer a bad game with the knowledge that this is how the programmers made it, or a good game with the knowledge players had to tweak the game into a good game themselves? Because I choose the second over the first any day.

Why should we pay $80 for a game, and then have to finish the game and fix it ourselves?

That's what I call being fools.

Why should we pay $80 for a game, and then have to finish the game and fix it ourselves?

I don't understand this train of thought. The ability to mod the game is part of the package. The developers built the game in such a way that we were able to start modding it almost from day one. That is part of the game. I will never understand the mentality that mods are not considered part of the product. To be honest, I'd rather a somewhat flawed, moddable game like civ to a perfectly polished, completely opaque one.

I do hope we get a formal SDK at some point so we can really dig in, but what we have now, at least for adjusting balance, is IMO very good.

I don't understand this train of thought. The ability to mod the game is part of the package. The developers built the game in such a way that we were able to start modding it almost from day one. That is part of the game.

Modding the game is one thing. Having to fix it first is a problem.

As soon as you start saying "you need AI+ mod to make the game playable" you got a huge problem.

Because otherwise you don't pay 80 dollars and don't get to play the game at all. It's a shame that we have to fix it ourselves, yes, but would you rather play an awesome game that you had to partly make yourself, or play other games?

Though, I guess, your 7k posts on this site tell enough: You would much rather need to fix the game yourself than not play it at all. So really, enjoy what you have, instead of complaining about how you got there and how it wasn't handed to you on a silver platter.

If a game can be fixed with a mod, it can be fixed with a patch. It's a question of whether or not Firaxis has the same priorities and mindset as the modders.

Supposing that Firaxis is just in another place and they can't/won't fix the game the way popular mods do, then just play with the mods. A mod is essentially an "optional patch". And if that optional patch does indeed give you more enjoyment from a game like the Vox Populi or Fall from Heaven mods for the past two iterations did, then "a patch has fixed the game".

Here's a thought, go out and make the perfect game and put it out on Steam, that will fix the problem
Indeed, customers should not be allowed to critizise something they paid money for unless they are able to make something better themselves.

Let's make away with game/movie/book reviewers while we're at it

There's a strong argument to be had that the $60 sale price for a AAA game is unsustainable due to the high development costs and risk, but raising the sales price directly would negatively impact sales. The companies have a two fold issue where they are selling the games at too low a cost to profit from and they can't innovate too much without undertaking too much risk.

As a result they keep the initial sales price where it is to avoid losing sales, but they charge for additional content later. Since at this point people already own the game, they are going to be more likely to pay this, so it doesn't hurt sales. In order to solve for the innovation, companies allow the players to undertake the more risky and extreme changes to the content themselves while the company provides a stable and safe base game intended to be appealing to a broad base of players.

If you want to see this in action. Look at xcom, another Firaxis title. This is what the development team had to say about the Long War mod for their game.
"We're basically a 20-hour tutorial for Long War, and that's okay."
Interestingly, Firaxis didn't really take any of those highly-praised features provided by the mod into their sequel xcom 2. They once again just provided a stable base game. Perhaps they deemed it too risky or costly to implement the features created by the modders.

Now here's the interesting part. On the official site for XCOM 2 is "Long War 2"
Firaxis has hired the modding team and is working in tandem with them to create some sort of official expansion to the game.

Like it or not, Modders are considered an essential part of Gaming and companies are fully aware of this. We might not be aware of it but AAA games may be dying. We think they will always exist and we take them for granted, but this crazy behavior we see from big companies. That's how companies are adapting to keep AAA games alive.

Now, if we don't like this system. We can do something about it because we know how it works. Simply, don't buy the game when its released. Every new release will be full of bugs. Every new release will be missing features which will be sold down the road. Every new release will eventually be overhauled by talented modders. Since we know this all we have to do is wait. Just wait for the price to go down and buy he whole thing as a bundle, and immediately install the best, most recommended mods on it. Then we are getting exactly what we want immediately with no consequences.

Top Bottom