A Place In The Sun

Thank you based SouthernKing.

Claiming Central America, Bogota (capital), Maracaibo, Orinoco, Ecuador, Lima, Cusco, and Altiplano as the Bolivarian Republic of Gran Colombia.

Will write and post more later.

I'll throw my hat into the ring once again.

Capital: Kumasi, Gold Coast
Other territories: Dahomey, Ivory Coast, Yoruba, Calabar, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Hauta Volta
Government: Monarchy, ruled by an Asantehene, controlling an organized bureaucracy
History: "A gold nugget persuades the same in every language, the threat of a bullet can never hurt though." Asantehene Osei Tutu Kwame, upon his co-opting the Fulani Muslims in northern Guinea, 1826

Once a tributary state, founded in the 1670's, the Ashanti humbled under the rule of various chieftains and kings until 1701, when independence was declared. Realizing the weaknesses that allowed for his small state to declare independence unmolested, Asantehene Osei Kofi Tutu began a program of rapid centralization and expansion. Rapidly, he conquered the surrounding states, or co-opted them, creating a small polity in southern Gold Coast by his death in 1717. His successors only took his lessons to heart, and continued to expand rapidly, overtaking old, decentralized, and weak polities and states.

By mid-century, contact and trade with the Europeans on the coasts had matured, and arms were being imported by the thousands to feed to ever growing Ashanti military. Based around guns, along with fierce discipline, very few were able to stand an Ashanti volley and come out on top.

While rapid expansion continued in all directions, co-opting the fractured and decentralize West African landscape under Ashanti control, various centralization programs were put in place to efficiently organize the growing kingdom. Having united the Gold Coast, and moving into other regions, governance without reliance on the shaky allegiance of local elites became a challenge, which was met with an ever growing bureaucracy. Able to directly minister and keep conquered regions under the thumb of the Asantehene, further expansion became less troublesome as it moved further and further away from the capital in Kumasi.

Trade in gold from the mines in the coast and the mountains to the west allowed for the Ashanti state to put further resources into growing industry within the Kingdom, specifically arms manufacture. Having reverse engineered European guns, the Ashanti began to mass produce the weapons, adding their own indigenous design elements to better suit fighting in conditions of heavy rain, such as during the monsoon season.

By 1831, the Kingdom of Ashanti was an empire in all but name, having expanded both east and west, pushing the frontiers of what it considered organized states, the most recent addition having been the pacification of the Fulani Muslims in Guinea, along with the final subjugation of people in Calabar. A growing economy, a threatening military, and an organized government, it seemed like very little could stand in the way of the Kingdom of Ashanti, should it want to continue growing. A mere 130 years old, the Kingdom is still young in the eyes of the world, and has not had to deal with any serious internal political rebellions or calamities, and subjugated peoples are more or less content under Ashanti rule. What the future brings, of course, is a mystery. Will the year 1831 prove decisive? Will the Ashanti continue growing or deal with the empire they've already created? Is it time for the Kingdom of Ashanti to place itself with the other great West African empires, and claim its place in the sun?

Map on front page updated

The map at the moment contains a number of NPCs (they're the ones with fewer than eight provinces). You can take control of them and expand them to eight provinces if you wish.

Ways to end an IOT early

1. Ask GM when is update.

I'm typing up the date (geddit?) right now in between gaps of assignments, engineering labs, political activism, drawing, and chatting with love interest. Should be up soon-ish ie in a couple of days.

See? Proof

Ahem. It's Gran Colombia, not Grand Colombia. Damn gringos imposing their language on us.

I see China, by going with the flow, is high in industrial strength. :D

This is the relative economic strength of nations in 1831

RE: update, I'm going to need to tweak some stuff relating to unit costs, and I need to write something up regarding claiming unclaimed provinces because I seemed to have totally forgotten about them, but otherwise update is almost ready.

I'm only 40 IP down below first? Better break out the bond system.

Top Bottom