A Place In The Sun

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Tee Kay, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Rule Changes

Various Costs

• IC Cost: Base IC cost is a country's Base IC/number of provinces. This is multipied by a tech modifier (ie it goes up with technology) to get the final IC cost, rounds to the nearest whole number.
    • Units Cost: Infantry costs (10-Stability) x tech modifier, to the nearest whole number (minimum cost is 3). Cavalry/naval (advanced) units costs 50% more.
    • Upkeep Cost: Upkeep costs (number of provinces - Stability) x tech modifier, to the nearest whole number (minimum cost is 2).
    • Technology Cost: Next technology level costs twice the highest available IC of the turn it becomes available. So for example all level 2 techs costs 124 IC to research (2x62, China's available IC). The cost drops in proportion to the number of countries that have researched it (ie if half the countries have researched a level its cost drops by half)
    • Espionage missions: each cost 2x the cost of cavalry/naval units

Expansion

• Expanding into gray regions: move an army or fleet into the territory you want to annex. Each turn you have a 50% chance of integrating the province into your country.
    • Expanding into NPC-controlled regions: declare war

Update coming tonight

2. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I call it pregaming.

3. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Update 1 - AD 1831

Lima, Lower Peru
    Republic of Gran Colombia

There was a performance at the Opera House. European visitors were always amazed to find out that Lima had an opera house, and that was the point. Gran Colombia was going to be as advanced and cultured as the foremost European countries. It was no poor, provincial, half-civilised backwater. No, even a provincial capital like Lima boosted an Opera House!

The play promised "novel and radical entertainment". Its creator was a favourite of the Vice-President himself, although it was rumoured, sotto voce, that this was the only reason that any of his plays got on stage, for they were all quite dreadful. Still, the theater was packed. No expenses were spared, it must be good.

It began. Half an hour later the theater was empty. It was a three-hour play. The audience had walked out.

"Too silly for words!" muttered a man to his mistress. "Otherworldly beings? Give me a break. From Gluahiri?? I know my astronomy, it's not even a real planet!"

Spoiler Map :

Spoiler Stats :

Spoiler Tech :

Order Lock in three days (72 hours from now)
    There's a list of NPCs on the front page
    List of espionage actions will be up in a few hours

4. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I laughed. Sorry for the earlier ruckus.

5. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

So how can we know how many naval und infantry units we have (once we do have units)

6. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Post your spending orders here or in a PM

They'll be shown on the map, Diplomacy-style.

7. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

So we currently have no units and thus no capability to expand?

8. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Shensi will be the primal interest of the Inner Dominion as of this turn; we must set efforts to ensure the unity of China through reuniting Shensi will all parts, for we must flow with unity. Hainan, Hong Kong, Tibet, Sinkiang, Tsinghai and Ningsia will all join Shensi eventually in being of unity with the Inner Dominion, for Yunan as well will be of the oneness. This is our legal claimant in the following years that are hence forth coming for the oneness of China and through the peace which will enlighten this world.

9. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Aye.

But you can build units! But I'm going to be mean and say you can't move it until next turn though :3

10. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Can we buy units and use them to expand in the same turn?

EDIT: Ninja'd

11. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

To: France, Rome, Poland and Bohemia
    We must protect the Peace and Liberties of the European Nations. To this effect we propose mutual Non-Aggression Pacts, Free Trade Agreements and Defensive Alliances, with each Nation respecting the others' Claims and Rights, and that these be reaffirmed every 4 Years in Congresses, to be held within Participant Nations.
    Do you all agree to these Points?

To: The Rest of the World
    It would be appreciated if Hamburg would not fall under the influence of a non-Germanic Power.

12. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

To: Germany

That is what we would have proposed, so we accept.

13. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Rome accepts

14. Amesjay

Amesjay Warlord

To: The East India Trading Company

We currently seek the return of the lands that were taken from us to be given back to the control of the Maratha Empire. Primarily we wish to negotiate for the transfer of Malwa and Deccan. We also wish to hear your thoughts on the possibility of at least restoring the independence of all the territories in the Indian subcontinent under your control.

15. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Holy—did you go in and manually optimize those flags??

Either way, TK for sexiest mapmaker in all of forever.

16. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

"A Call for Paved Roads"

Kumasi - "It's all mud out there, I can barely make it a mile from my home without my wheels getting dug into the ground!" one Asanteman said. Another, a trader exclaimed "I regularly cart goods from here west to Bechem, and I can say without a doubt that when you leave Kumasi, the going is terrible." Even a general in our Asantehene military said "I could cut the travel time in half, no, a two thirds, if we got some proper roads and infrastructure outside of Kumasi. The Asateman we bring from our capital to expand our great kingdom would be able to travel back periodically and visit their homes in the city, and more importantly, I would be able to travel back and visit my home in the city more often if we had better roads. It would be in everyone's interest to pave over the mud paths and clear ways through the forest!"

The guild of merchants and industries agrees with the desire to expand infrastructure beyond the capital. Their spokesman talked with our reporters today, and outlined the proposal they handed into the city government. They advocated for the construction of two interstate turnpikes, connecting west out of Kumasi to the state of the Ivory Coast, and one East to Dahomey. These turnpikes would be paved over in stone, connecting old mud and earth trails previously used. They argue that this would greatly benefit the economy, allowing for quicker transportation of goods and raw materials in and out of the city, furthering economic integration of the outer regions. A group of concerned citizens, belonging to the Club for the Greatness of Ashanti, have signed onto the proposal as well. They cite having read about lands in Europe, and Asia, where the roads don't end at the city limits. They desire to see that happen in the Kingdom of Ashanti, so that we may continue our expansion throughout Western Africa at a far quicker pace.

Our reporters probed the city government, and the provincial government as to their opinion on these proposals, but got very little response. "The government, under the wise leadership of Asantehene, will consider the proposal like we do with all other proposals, and judge its merits in regards to all other options on the table." Historically, little has been done in regards to expanding infrastructure with rather apathetic responses from city elders. Several times in the past decade or has the idea of expanding the paved roads out of Kumasi been brought up, but each time has been passed over in favor of various other expenditures seen as more prudent. In the past, cost has been the major concern in paving the earth paths outside of the city, especially in regards to the maintenance. There have been doubts as to the ability of stone paths to survive the monsoon season, fear that the excess water would erode the stone quickly, or that it would sink back into the mud making sections impassable. Upkeep as well has been cited as reason to avoid paved roads, as an earthen path is far easier to create and fix compared to one set in stone. As this proposal gains recognition, we are likely to see these debates crop up again from those who oppose paved road expansion.

But, the merchants are hopeful this time around. "With the end to the Moslem rebellion in Guinea, the government should be free from foreign affairs to look inwards once again at domestic concerns. We are very positive they will accept our proposal to pave the roads out of Kumasi, we have a very strong argument and a lot of backing this time around. 1831 is the year for this to happen!"

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Rule Clarification

Units bought and placed on the map this turn will only be available for attack/defence/movement next turn

Oh yeah, and when you buy units tell me where you want to put it or I'll just put it randomly.

Inactive players will have their countries NPC'd until further notice.

Most of them, yeah.

18. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

OOC: "Where do we go sir?"

"Coast guard unit in Wisconsin."

19. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I may or may not actually do this.

20. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince King

Iran creates two new units of military, hoping to expand further into Asia later on. Iran declared that Tabriz, Kazakhstan, Azerbajistan and Balkhash to be rightfully Iranian, though if not kept under check rumors state they might expand into Georgia.

OOC: Here is my proper app.
    Religion: Shi'a Islam
    Government: Absolutist Monarchy
    History: Until 1760 it is much like IRL Iran, but once the Ottomans fell, Iran expanded into areas which were rightfully Iranian, such as Baghdad and Mosul.