A question for the Christians here

Originally posted by Shadylookin
Baptist. as for what makes us different perhaps something to do with john the baptist not really sure i usually just day dream about all the evil things i plan on doing for the week in church so i don't really catch all the messages.
I go to an independant Baptist church. Baptist got their name because they preached againest "Baby Baptism " and called it the mark of the MOTHER OF HARLOTS mention in Relelation. This teaching went over like a lead balloon during the dark ages.( so they were hated for their Baptism teachings) Also these churches was againest a government head(united) church( separation of church and state) and becuase of these they were called "heretics" in history. The last man to be burned in England was a baptist preacher who preached againest "Baby Baptism " claiming you must be born again before baptism mean anything. After King James saw the preacher burned in 1612 he forbid burning anyone to death again . But this man's children came over to the new world (america) and started Baptists church which finnally ended up starting in North Carolina and grow north into Virginia . it was the Virginia's churches(most baptist then) that ask for the governemnt to stay out of religion and influenced the Bill of Right's first amendment. ( for even at that time they were state churches )

Of course this doesn't make Baptist any better or greater than other churches and today most churches doesn't practice Baby baptism and are againest Governments churches also. ( I'm christian first, Baptist second , American third)

"The baptist are the only body of known christians that have never symbolized with Rome." - Isaac Newton

I was Baptized and raised as a Catholic, and still consider myself one. But I'm not practicing

Roman Catholic. Although I wasn't raised as one. We're the old fashioned ones. Before all these blow-in showed up (splitters!!).

As long as you're a good person, real differences are hard to find. A rose by any other name....

Thanks for the question, Hitro.

I'm Baptist. More specifically, I relate more to the fundamental beliefs of Southern Baptists.

All have sinned. None is worthy of salvation. There is only one way to salvation through Jesus Christ because of His death, burial, and resurrection as the one time final sacrifice for all sins. You are saved by grace through faith. Not by works. Baptism occurs after salvation, is not required to be saved, and is a natural outward testimonial expression of your faith in God. Although works do not save you, the way you live your life is an outward expression of your love for Christ (fruit). Those who claim to be Christians, but bare no fruit, are probably not Christians.

These are some of the basic tenants of the Baptist faith. Most Christians would agree with these basic things.

--CK

Originally posted by cgannon64
I'm a Catholic. What makes it special? Its the oldest, most original denomination of Christianity.

I beg to differ. Orthodoxism is just as old. But neither is the oldest of all.

Originally posted by Speedo
United Methodist.

It is the church I was raised in, however more and more of the things coming out of the church leadership are turning me away (for example, last year one of the leader of our conference made a statement to the effect that ALL war veterans -he was specifically asked about WW2 though- were going to hell because God hates war). There are rumors about that some very unpleasant things will be coming out of the General Conference next spring, and if they are true I will probably remove my membership. It doesn't help that after having an excellent pastor for 8 years, our current one is well... not that great.

I'm leaning towards going Baptist, but I disagree with them on many issues.

What issues are you against the Baptists on?

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
I'm Baptist. More specifically, I relate more to the fundamental beliefs of Southern Baptists.

All have sinned. None is worthy of salvation. There is only one way to salvation through Jesus Christ because of His death, burial, and resurrection as the one time final sacrifice for all sins. You are saved by grace through faith. Not by works. Baptism occurs after salvation, is not required to be saved, and is a natural outward testimonial expression of your faith in God. Although works do not save you, the way you live your life is an outward expression of your love for Christ (fruit). Those who claim to be Christians, but bare no fruit, are probably not Christians.

These are some of the basic tenants of the Baptist faith. Most Christians would agree with these basic things.

--CK

I agree with that 110% :goodjob:

Whats your views on homosexuality?

Originally posted by Aphex_Twin

Glad that you explane some matters Aphex!;)

Ortodox christian here also. Our chrismas and ester are at diferent date that others chri. it's due to Julian calendar which is two weeks difference than standard Gregorian.

Our priest must be married to serv the pray in church as a Priest which is different than Roman Catolic (don't know for Protestants).

Otherwice is all same or simular to Catolics, as I know.

Oh, yes we don't think that those old ("evil") guy who sit at Vatican is represent or leader of all Christians.

Originally posted by cgannon64
'm Catholic. What makes it special? Its the oldest, most original denomination of Christianity.

Not really. The first christians were not catholics.

Originally posted by Inter32

Not really. The first christians were not catholics.

Since Peter was the first pope I beg to differ.

Very conservative Church of England.

Originally posted by Aphex_Twin
This is true. A fairly obscure church in Ethiopia is the oldest formal church body in existance. It is though to have been founded by a royal eunuch as described in Acts chapter 8.

J

Originally posted by luiz
Since Peter was the first pope I beg to differ.

He never became a Catholic Pope.

Catholisism (wrong spelling) was established in Trentino Alto Adige (Italy) in the XIV century.

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken

I'm not falling for that troll line.

Here, fishy, fishy.

Im not trolling. I wanted to know your honest opinion. Seems childish for me for people to want conflict. I mean, if you don't want to say it aloud, you can always seen a PM. I wanted to hear what you think about something that is acting as a divicave agent in the Christian world.

@ Simon Darkshade; Isn't a very conservative Church of England just a Catholic? ;)

@Alone; About the different dates, no biggie we're both wrong.:) Still its the thought that counts.

Originally posted by archer_007

Try 4th Century and you will have it right.

Nope. I'm talking about the Concilio di Trento not when christianism became rome's official religion.

The Council of Trento was in th XVI century (I put he wrong century) in 1545

Top Bottom