1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A small reason not to move starting settler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by KerThud, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Wodan

Wodan Deity

2. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

This is a good discussion...many valid points. I'm gonna toss another point of consideration into the original question, of whether to take a turn to move your settler.

If you start with mysticism, and want to found a religion, that turn you take moving your settler could potentially be the difference (one less turn of research) of founding the early religion or not. Just another consideration...

3. Jantis

Jantis Chieftain

You're right. We just disagree on what our preferred method of playing is. There certainly is potential value in both approaches, and it really boils down into each person trying it for themselves and see which way Lady Luck tends to bless them.

I admit that I've moved my starting position before, and had varied success. It just seems... for me... that I just haven't seen enough of an overall benefit to moving. Sometimes it is obvious when your starting position is great or not-so-great, but most likely the largest majority of the time it's a toss-up.

But some of the most humor I've gotten from this board is when folks seem adamant that their way is the only (effective) way. I don't see either of us are saying that, just that we prefer different benefits in our playstyle. And that's what this game seems to really encourage - differing playstyles.

/salute Wodan

It's nice to be able to disagree without seeing any fires started. ;)

P.S. Nuke toting monkeys will solve any problems. :goodjob:

4. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Yep, definitely true.

Of course, if that's your goal, then you have a lot of other constraints, too. e.g., you can't build a worker (you need to grow to pop 2 asap to get added beakers).

Wodan

5. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Heh. Absolutely. Actually, I consider myself still learning this game. That, to me, is what makes CIV much better than CIII as well as many other games. There appears to be endless variety of strategies. None better than the other. They all have pros and cons.

What I enjoy the most is exploring a new strategy. I don't really get a kick out of perfecting one method of play and then playing that game over and over and over. Blech. Even simply changing Leaders but keeping the same strategy, fundamentally is kind of boring.

Wodan

6. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Warlord

Absolutely. Different goal, different set of criteria...and a different analysis (and different conclusion) from the same information.

Like you just said...many options, and the beauty of this game.

7. PugFugly

PugFugly Chieftain

But you CAN build a workboat, if you are Isabella.

8. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Or British.