about your star sign

I'm proud of my indecisiveness. But also a little ashamed about it.

I always had to laugh at our daily paper's section. Listed every sign each day and had a rating between 1-10 of how good your day was going to be. I never saw a rating for any of the signs lower than a 6 over a few years where I checked periodically. What are the odds of that. No one ever had a bad day. Incredible I tell you.

My friend's mom used to be in charge of coming up with the horoscope for a local weekly paper. As far as I could tell her only qualifications were that she could read and write and knew what horoscopes were generally supposed to be like. From what my friend told me she copied some stuff from other horoscopes and made up the rest.

I'm ashamed to say I used to think astrology was valid.

Thank goodness I grew out of it. But in case anyone's curious, I'm a Gemini.

My star sign is the constellation of the big bear
Ursa Major is not part of the zodiac.

This fine fellow was one of my best friends in college. I haven't seen him in a long time, but he is doing quite well with his astrology business.

https://www.forrestastrology.com/blogs/astrology
What a lot of drivel.

I'm reminded of awhile back when CBC hired a journalism school grad named Aleksandra Sagan (no relation to Carl, thank goodness), who used astrologers and children's fairy tales as sources for her ridiculously inept articles about eclipses and trying to explain the Goldilocks Zone concept (she couldn't even manage to retell the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears correctly).

Thank goodness they fired her and hired someone with real science credentials.

Capricorns age backwards.
I was born a very old man. As a child, I would read the encyclopedia. Now, I'm completely immature. :banana:

My star sign is the constellation of the big bear
Regrettably mainstream is that Sumerian system...

Ursa Major is not part of the zodiac.

Why should I comply to that Zodiac ?... that Sumerian system.... which was BTW edited to step up from a 10 star sign system to a 12 star sign system.
Which did fit the 12 x the lunar month is a sun year better,
and also made it possible to incorporate Libra, the biblical Tree of Good and Evil, and have a story about Wisdom obtained by eating and a woman causing that including something bad (in Sumerian myth, the sickness of Enki) and as woman by eating obtaining the qualities for love and sex (and temptation).
A kind of major editing at the roots of the Sumerian myths.

And this original Sumerian editing did mess up exactly my Zodiac sign Scorpio....
Because in the 10 sign Zodiac there was the Serpent (or also Scorpio) and the Serpent was splitted in Scorpio (later Adam), Virgo (later Eve, or Ninhursag/Inanna) and Libra

It must be the fate of Scorpio to get edited, because Mars is my Zodiac planet and when Pluto was discovered, Pluto was added to Scorpio and I had suddenly two planets !

So I feel much more comfortable with Ursa Major
A star sign of which I can at least imagine that the Neanderthaler already had it or the Shamans all over Eurasia in pre ancient times.

Last edited:
So I checked today. Much to my surprise, not everyone is going to have a great day. There was actually a 5 given out. Stop the presses. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But generally, EVERYONE has a good day.

To get the advantage, check the day's rating: 10 is the easiest day, 0 the most challenging.

Aries (March 21-April 19) -- Today is an 8 -- Pass along what you're learning. Friends are a
big help over the next few days. Share resources and information. Together you can move mountains.

Taurus (April 20-May 20) -- Today is an 8 -- Review instructions, and discuss the plan. Career
responsibilities have your focus, and there's an inspection or presentation ahead. Prepare to deliver.

Gemini (May 21-June 20) -- Today is an 8 -- The next two days are good for travel.
Avoid extravagant promises. Have fun without overspending.
Adapt to the news. A little insight changes your thinking.

Cancer (June 21-July 22) -- Today is a 7 -- Pay bills and manage money over the next few days.
Financial changes necessitate budget revisions. Stick to basic objectives, and rearrange what you've got.

Leo (July 23-Aug. 22) -- Today is a 7 -- Conversations with your partner get results today and tomorrow.
Don't waste time on gossip or idle chatter. Avoid misunderstandings, and it could get romantic.

Virgo (Aug. 23-Sept. 22) -- Today is an 8 -- The next two days could get especially busy.
Don't try a new trick now. Stick to practiced routines and techniques. Physical action is required.

Libra (Sept. 23-Oct. 22) -- Today is a 7 -- Prioritize love and romance through tomorrow.
Don't get casual about keeping your promises. Honest interactions inspire optimism and trust. Grow closer to someone special.

Scorpio (Oct. 23-Nov. 21) -- Today is an 8 -- Consider long-term domestic plans for a few days.
What changes would you like to make at home? Discuss possibilities and then commit to a vision.

Sagittarius (Nov. 22-Dec. 21) -- Today is an 8 -- Craft your message and edit each word carefully.
Communications go further over the next few days. Prepare and issue statements and information. Share your view.

Capricorn (Dec. 22-Jan. 19) -- Today is a 9 -- Dedicate efforts to increase cash flow over the next two days.
Make an amazing discovery. New information threatens an assumption. Keep an open mind.

Aquarius (Jan. 20-Feb. 18) -- Today is a 9 -- You're especially charming and brilliant today and tomorrow.
Ruminate on a personal vision. You're closer to achieving it than you thought. Take small steps.

Pisces (Feb. 19-March 20) -- Today is a 5 -- Relax and meditate to decompress from pressure over deadlines.
Get imaginative and speculate on what could be possible. An epiphany could reveal a hidden truth.

Why should I comply to that Zodiac ?... that Sumerian system.... which was BTW edited to step up from a 10 star sign system to a 12 star sign system.
Which did fit the 12 x the lunar month is a sun year better,
and also made it possible to incorporate Libra, the biblical Tree of Good and Evil, and have a story about Wisdom obtained by eating and a woman causing that including something bad (in Sumerian myth, the sickness of Enki) and as woman by eating obtaining the qualities for love and sex (and temptation).
A kind of major editing at the roots of the Sumerian myths.

And this original Sumerian editing did mess up exactly my Zodiac sign Scorpio....
Because in the 10 sign Zodiac there was the Serpent (or also Scorpio) and the Serpent was splitted in Scorpio (later Adam), Virgo (later Eve, or Ninhursag/Inanna) and Libra

It must be the fate of Scorpio to get edited, because Mars is my Zodiac planet and when Pluto was discovered, Pluto was added to Scorpio and I had suddenly two planets !

So I feel much more comfortable with Ursa Major
A star sign of which I can at least imagine that the Neanderthaler already had it or the Shamans all over Eurasia in pre ancient times.
Scorpio is not a serpent. You may be thinking of Ophiuchus, which some consider to be the 13th constellation of the zodiac (though you'll never find it in the astrology section of the newspaper).

If it doesn't explain anything, it does create new neuropathways which are less malign in their character than they would otherwise be.

The way I see it, occultism (which includes astrology) is a coping mechanism against extreme stress that would otherwise result in full-blown psychotic experiences. It sacralizes psychotic experiences and give you the tools to prevent psychosis in the future by (indirectly) telling about their causes.

I use astrology and tarot as an alternative to pharmacological psychiatry.

Last edited:
Scorpio is not a serpent. You may be thinking of Ophiuchus, which some consider to be the 13th constellation of the zodiac (though you'll never find it in the astrology section of the newspaper).

I am not thinking at all
I am stating historical facts
About Serpent being a star sign before Scorpio, Virgo and Libra were there as a star sign.

This fine fellow was one of my best friends in college. I haven't seen him in a long time, but he is doing quite well with his astrology business.

https://www.forrestastrology.com/blogs/astrology

On one hand good for him for finding a niche and using it to make money. On the other hand deceiving people and profiting off the gullibility of others is not really a move that should be commended.

On one hand good for him for finding a niche and using it to make money. On the other hand deceiving people and profiting off the gullibility of others is not really a move that should be commended.
i am not particularly familiar with his approach, but he is quite sincere in his belief that what he teaches is helpful and important. The size and scope of his following tells me that he has found a significant group of people who also find his efforts personally rewarding. The very clear human need to feel part of something larger than ourselves (family, sports team fan, drinking group, church, political party, clubs, internet forums, race, activist movement, etc.) is obviously in play here: I'm Virgo, yeah for me! If a group affiliation prevents clear thinking in other areas, then perhaps it is problematic, but humans are quite capable of holding multiple contradictory positions at the same time. is it possible that believing in astrology can lead a person to live an better, happier, more contented life?

he is quite sincere in his belief that what he teaches is helpful and important.

I suppose we can assume he's just a poor misguided fellow who doesn't know any better, and in the end it's just fools who are paying for these services so who cares.. but still, when the gullibility of others is exploited, it just doesn't sit well with me. A decent subset of these people are probably elderly who just don't know any better.

It's also worth mentioning that if he didn't come across as sincere he wouldn't make much money. Most snake oil salesmen who are successful at what they do come across as sincere. You can't sell people magic if you yourself don't come across as a person who believes in that magic.

is it possible that believing in astrology can lead a person to live an better, happier, more contented life?

I wouldn't doubt that it's possible, much in the same way that I could improve someone's life by selling them a good luck charm that's just some Polish guy's cut off foot. If someone really believes that this item will give them good luck, then their life will probably improve in some way, whether the item gives them actual good luck or not. In the end though, I'm still a scheming bastard for selling the foot in the first place and exploiting people who believe things like this.

If you take the astrological advice in a moderate way
consider it as something to consider, spend some time on it, some attention

it perhaps opens your eyes for opportunities you would not have seen without giving it some attention,
it perhaps gives you a moment of self-reflection you would have missed otherwise

Perhaps it is only a good replacement for what a friend, a colleague, the taxidriver, could have caused as well,
and perhaps anonimity or a position that makes sharing of certain advice needs difficult
from ancient oracle times up to now
astrology a valuable element in society

I like - from an artistic pov, not as 'knowledge' - the astrological charts. Used often in art, eg painting (occult or not) and some literature (Pessoa).

Here is an awesome print by Grandville, where an insect draws one such chart :)
@AdrienIer

Last edited:
If you take the astrological advice in a moderate way
consider it as something to consider, spend some time on it, some attention

it perhaps opens your eyes for opportunities you would not have seen without giving it some attention,
it perhaps gives you a moment of self-reflection you would have missed otherwise

Perhaps it is only a good replacement for what a friend, a colleague, the taxidriver, could have caused as well,
and perhaps anonimity or a position that makes sharing of certain advice needs difficult
from ancient oracle times up to now
astrology a valuable element in society

I feel like there are better alternatives than believing in astrology to achieve the same, or better, results. Such as mindful meditation.

Top Bottom