1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Addons] Additional Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by ambrox62, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I dunno, doesn't look like Neuschwanstein to me.

2. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

oops, you're right. I'm not very familiar with the castle. I'll try to be a bit more careful next time. :blush:

3. Triver

Triver Prince

Ambrox. You can add my models.

4. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

5. Triver

Triver Prince

MMM... I think your problemm isn't in models... Problem is in FXSXML files.

6. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

I don't know where is the problem exactly.
    I know that custom 3D building arts don't work in CiV
    I strongly suspect this is intentional by 2K

7. Pouakai

8. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

I've just updated post #1 with a fresh upcoming list of ancient wonders

9. Pouakai

Awesome. How about the Trojan Wall, or Abu Simbel?

10. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

Also the Colosseum and the Parthenon will be into the list for sure.

Abu Simbel may be an interesting choice. The issue is the lack of religions in CiV. In ancient times they were fundamental.
    Trojan Wall is debatable as wonder. I would prefer Trojan Horse instead, but is very unlikely. May be at the end of the wonders batch.

11. Pouakai

It's still magificent in the modern day without the religious significance, and you have a god-fearing isabella who is going to hit you with her cross, Ramesses who says he's a god, and Pachacuti who is the son of the sun god or something, so I don't think we need to worry about religion not being a feature.

12. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

Tower of Babel Wonder - version 2 - Mar 5, 2011

You may download it HERE or using CiV mod browser

Changelog
    -----------
    V.2 - Wonder effect and cost aligned to latest patch
    V.2 - Splash screen slightly reworked

Screenshots
    Spoiler :

13. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

14. Describer

Describer Chieftain

In my humble opinion, Babel tower's bonus should be scientific one. Because according to biblical accounts not only were they striving to know for sure if there's a god living in the sky, but also wanted to secure themselves from repeating of great flood. Also, you can say that King Nemvrod, who begun building it, was one of first atheist rulers in history, ancient Lenin so to say.

15. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

All opinions are useful and respectable; none is humble :)

There are several and different speculations about who really Nimrod was. Also is uncertain if he really started the Tower building. The Tower itself should be consider a metaphor.
    In fact, according to the biblical account, the Tower was the reason of confusion of the human languages. People spread themselves everywhere after the "God punishment", and it sounds to me as culture's spreading more than science's acquirement.

16. Describer

Describer Chieftain

"God punishment" was aftermath, a reaction of 3rd, hostile party :) Original purprose of tower is debatable, but one builds something to achieve something, not to provoke 3rd party into intrusion and then experiencing unintended consequences.

17. Pouakai

Does the Tower of Babel effect stack with Ankgor Wat / Landed Elite / Krepost?

18. ambrox62

ambrox62 Emperor

Yes, it "should".
    Please, give me feedback if not

19. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

@ambrox62

I recently read somewhere on these forums (will look for it) that there is a cap on how much the rate of cultural border expansion can be increased. If I remember correctly it's 85%. I'm very unfamiliar with xml and lua (though still in the process of learning) so I haven't been able to confirm this. If this is the case then I'm not sure if the Tower of Babylon's effect is the best for obtaining the desired results. I know I am the one who initially requested this effect but I'd like to propose a change that still compliments Angkor Wat though is markedly distinct.

Effect: +4:c5culture: in capital, +1:c5culture: in all other cities (or just the +1:c5culture: in every city)

This way it still functions kind of like a mini Angkor Wat but is also diferentiated from it by it's (minor) helpfulness with policy acquisition for expanding empires. It also compliments the liberty policy tree like Machu Pichu does the commerce policy tree. Lastly, the effects are more easily felt in the early game as opposed to the mid to late eras giving it that real 'ancient wonder' feel (thus preseving some of Angkor Wat's 'uniqueness'.)

What do you think?

20. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

In regards to Moai statues, it seems to work a bit too much like the Seaport currently. I would suggest something along the lines of Civ4, where it simply provided 1 production for every water worked water tile.

Also, would much appreciate wonders that give something other than Great Artist points (the 2 new ones are great in that regard). Getting swamped in GAs with just the seven ancient wonders mod installed :)