1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AG9 - OCC Conquest (Monarch)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Aggie, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

The city, just before going into revolt. Note that we just grew to size 11. We would do fine in despotism at size 12... As soon as we have a market we have more hapiness. I don't like the idea of the Hanging Gardens, because we should build military instead...

The empire:

2. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

How many units we have? Post a F1 screen also? During my turns we were almost at the max limit thus the suggestion for HG.

Looks like happiness isn't an issue, and just realized Monarchy can have 3 MP (almost never revolted to it).

3. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

F1:

F3: look at our army comapred to the Krauts :)

4. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Nice. We're sure gonna :hammer: them all.

5. 6thGenTexan

6thGenTexan Chieftain

To go with the information provided by Aggie, We are at war with India and they want Philosophy for peace. We are up at least one tech on everyone. Once out of Anarchy, we will research Currency @ max. We have nobody guarding our western flank. That is were all new troops will go. We have 4 horsemen who can terrorize the Incans for a while. Eleven swords will position themselves to wipe out the Sumerians when the time comes.

END TURN

550BC-1 I missed two horses in Sumeria. They will join the four against the Incas when all are healed.

India demands Philo for Peace. Monarchy starts.

530BC-2 Start Currency at max until we run out of money. Best production at size 11 is 18spt and 3fpt to get size 12 in 6 turns. Have to run a blockade on a Sumerian settler heading to our gems. Last turn healing horsemen near the Incas.

India moves two archers to our western border.

490BC-4 I do not know how I lost a turn? Nothing important happened. Four swords stationed near Isin and seven more to move on Ur. The Sumerian settler is hounded by 3 horsemen and our colony guarding spear. Time to begin the end of the Incas. We capture a slave, pillage some spices and destroy Vilcas. MM Mecca every turn to make wasted shields more food.

Sumer settles with our gems just outside their border. Another pair heads north from Ur to be blocked by our swords. Another Indian Archer arrives. The Greeks decide to move closer to us with another pair.

470BC-5 Four horse only kill one spear in Cori.... losing an elite.

450BC-6 Kill the first 2 Indian archers and pillage the Incan horses.

The Greeks have pushed back our borders with their settlements.

430BC-7 Retreat horses from Cori. Move other to pillage near Cuzco.

410BC-8 Kill two more Indian archers. We hit size 12.

Incans has for peace, we could get Cori, but are declined and they lose an archer to our healing horses.

390BC-9 Kill an Indian spear and promote a horse to Elite. He is covered by our home guard spear but is in range of 2 archers. Move to pillage the Incan iron.

The spear dies but saves our elite horse.

370BC-10 Kill another Indian spear and an Incan archer. The iron is pillaged cutting off Huamanga from Cuzco. Get 35g and Map Making for Philo from Sumer. Get 72 for Philo and peace from India…. there was only a wounded archer anywhere near us.

We have 3 horses healing near Cori and two more moving on Huamanga. We have four swords ready to go against Isin in 5 turns. Two horses are near Akshak which can be fortified with our recovering horses in Mecca. Seven swords are playing tag with the settler pair north of Ur. When the Sumerians and Incas are gone, we need to go all out against Greece.

At size 12, we may want to sell the granary and build the Library. We are burning a lot of gold trying to research. Currency will in 9 at –26 with only 109 in the bank. Sumerian lands will give us 2 more lux to multiply with the market.

The Game

6. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

Good doing.

Grimjack

7. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Note that Constantinople will riot next trun. We probably still had war hapiness from India.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: hire a taxman and we are making exactly 20spt.

We didn't establish any embassies? And at peace with India? Hmm, I had hoped to ally Greece against India. I hope they are going to war themselves anyway.

IBT Horse->Hanging Gardens due in 15. Our unit support is already 2/3 of our total income.

(1)350BC: vet horse 3/4 vet spear and promotes. Elite horse 2/3 kills reg spear and autorazes Huamanga.

Oh I sell the granary.

Change the taxman to scientist and sci can lower to 80 still in 8 turn, and we gain 1 more gold (or to be more precise, lose one less).

(2)330BC: healing.

(3)310BC: ZZZ

(4)290BC: I disband our own workers and a reg warrior. We've got enough slave.

IBT Germany is at war with Sumeria! [dance]

(5)270BC:

Reg horse 1/3 kills reg spear.
    reg horse 3/3 kills reg spear, we capture Corihuayrachina. There is nothing to sell, so I abandon it.
    Elite horse kills archer.

Our treasure is low, and really cannot make any research.

What, abandoning the city makes people unhappy! Now we have to increase lux to 20%! but we can fire the scientist. Net result is we lose one scientist and -3gpt. But we'll complete HG one turn earlier.

So remember do not capture and abandon cities. It's not worth the happiness penalty.

I have to shut off research completely and we are making a pathetic +2gpt.

Oh crap, I just find out we can build MoM instead, so switch to it and due in 6 turns. Hey, I don't understand why a nicer wonder costs less..

I find a barb camp - oh yeah, shouldn't forget THIS way of making money..

(6)250BC: get 25g from camp. Now we can make two more turns of research..another barb camp in sight. :D it's weird to get scientific funding from barbs..

(7)230BC: get another 25g from barbs. Get one more and we could finish Currency!

(8)210BC: elite horse kills a reg warrior.

IBT Greece demands CoL, I show the middle finger, and he declares!

(9)190BC: vet sword redlines but kills a Greek vet warrior. India and Sumeria have Currency now, so we can finish it this turn by min sci. i should have saved the gold..and India now also has CoL.

I really think we should ally India against Greece, but we don't have the money to establish Embassy.

I see massive uprise of barbs..because India entered Middle Ages. Oh yeah, maybe we can extort Sumeria to get his free tech. :satan:

kill a reg hoplite in Mycenae.

(10)170BC: We enter Middle Ages and Sumeria has Feudalism. Set min research to Monotheism.

Elite horse 4/3 kills reg spear. another elite horse loses to reg spear taking no damage. 3rd elite horse retreats. Oh well, Cuzco, the last Inca city under attack, is still building ToA..but I'll have to wait for reinforcement to take it.

IBT we build MoM. Set to market due in 4 after MM. Germany builds ToA. Greece builds HG.

(11)150BC: I decide to attack Cuzco with one healthy horse and we succeed!

Inca is gone.

We are making +2gpt even with min sci. lux to 0 and we have faces of 4/4/4, but we can add another MP. Things will get better when the penalty goes away.

We kill another hoplite and raze Mycenae, but our horse redlined.

IBT greek archer kills our horse.

(12)130BC: We kill the Greek archer, and then declare on Sumeria.

(13)110BC: lose one horse and raze arkshak.

(14)90BC: movement.

IBT marker->sword.

(15)70BC: Our income jumped to 17gpt! [party]

Lose one sword and raze Isin.

Greece also gets Feudalism. Didn't realize it is also scientific? Good thing they don't have iron. Greek cities are all big due to the pyramids..

Horse takes out a barb camp and finds a settler..there is another one east to Ur also.

I establish embassy in India. He doesn't know Germany yet. I suggest we ally with him against Greece as soon as we can afford (not yet).

Summary:
    We built a wonder, market, entered middle ages, killed Inca and am at war with Greece. I disbanded 3 units and didn't build any military.

to next leader:

The plan is to take out Ur and leave Zabalam to Sumeria (and probably we want to let the Sumerian settlers settle and take out the cities too), to see if we can get Feudalism. Then we should turn all forces to Greece.

Hey, probably it was good that I didn't take out Sumeria earlier.

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Delhi:

10. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

OUch, having India with Great Wall would not be a good thing.
    There is not much we can do about that now. Better them than Greece anyway.

I will see if I can manage to play tonight after I do the finishing touches on LK65.

Grimjack

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We should take out the ivory city asap. Greece isn't building Zeus yet, but it could cascade at any time, and things will get ugly if we have to fight AC.

EDIT: Also we should MM to get max commerce. I forgot to do that after market was done.

12. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Very good job microbe :)

ROSTER:
    Aggie
    6thgentexan
    Microbe
    Grimjack-------->up
    Ankka----------->on deck

13. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Nice work microbe. :)

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

The funny thing is, India, a religious tribe, is impressed with our culture! :lol:

And I wonder how long has Delhi been building the wonder with 3spt..

15. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

And how long are they going to take until it's finished :groucho:

16. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I doubt they'll get it before we march into there. :D

17. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

Ag9- The turnover. The plot thickens.

70BC Too bad we cannot afford to buy in the Indians against Greece. This will get bloody fast.

50Bc I note we need to raze Pharsalos ( The ivory town) as it is built on top of the Ivory. I will pillage the road at once though.

30Bc fend off a greek archer landing from a galley. It costs us two swordsmen, but we raze Ur, and the Oracle. guess they were not so good, or they would have moved out when they foresaw our firs coming.

IBT: Sumeria comes, and wants us to pay for peace. We laugh at them.

10BC I start to move troops down towards German lands. We need to take out Bremen ASAP, ptherwise Germany will have both horses and iron.

10AD Chase down the two Sumerian Settlers. I have gotten what I wanted out of the Sumerians, and thus I get the last thing we can get. I get Feudalism from them for peace. Too bad you cannot capture techs by killing the last city of a civ.

IBT: Germany sends two stacks of archers northwards. Looks like they are on a sneak attack vector.

30AD

50AD

IBT: Delhi completes the Great Wall.

70AD Horsemen are in position for striking at Germany. I will wait a couple of turns for the swordsmen to regroup.

90Ad Ourt swordsmen wave at the german archers as we pass each other in no mans land between Sumer and Germany.

110Ad Six horsemen are good enough odds for taking on a Greek city, and Pharsalos lies in ruins. We lost none due to the nimble commanders who retreated to fight another day.
    I fight off another marine invasion. I need to raise lux tax, since I use the units inside our city to strike a warrior.

IBT: Germany and Sumeria is at war. :evil: Greek archers destroy an exposed horseman.

130AD Troops are into position for war upon Germany. I start to collect another stack of troops that can deal with the Greeks nearby.

150AD Declare war on the German empire. They have grown fat and complacent.

IBT: Lose a couple of captured workers heading homeward to archers from the shadows. Zambalam expands its cultural borders, and shrinks to size 2. Looks like Sumer is about to expand.
    Greeks are starting to show up in force now, I will see if our newfangled medievals are up to the task of making them regret their choices in life.
    I discover that regular archers do not attack elite swordsmen on the flat ground. That knowledge can be useful.

170 An approaching indian settler is making eyes on our gems/iron, and it is time to play interference.

IBT: Greece pulls in 8 archers underneath a Hoplite. It is perhaps time to speak a bit with them.

190Ad Our elite troops makes mincemeat out of Bremens defenders, and the main force will continue southwards.

I sign peace with Greece for Literature, 94 gold and 34 gpt. We could probably deal with their archer stacks, but I would much rather go to war against India now, with Greece on our side.

I spend some money building an Embassy in Greece. Athens is size 12, 20 spt. They have no clowns, and run 40% science. They own no strategic resources, but have two luxes.
    They have 14 turns on great library.
    Hmm, my plan backfired. They say the will NEVER go to war against India. Sigh.
    I will let next player, or group decide if we want war with India sooner rather than later, and leave them in peace for now.

IBT: Greeks start Great Lighthouse.

210AD Move troops into position.

IBT: German counters strike out one swordsman.

230AD Munich is razed without losses. I build up a wall of units, preventing passage between the two halves of our continent. ( It is not completely closed, if it is completely closed, the AI will take offense. )

IBT: Germany offer straight peace. I decline, and lose a swordsman and a horse for my troubles. But the germans destroy the Sumerians. I will need to reposition our forces to save our iron, as it is likely the germans will send their archers northwards now.

250AD I set our city on Catapult. A couple of those will help immensely.
    We could get peace with germany if we wanted. We have enough forces down south to maybe take another city, if we do not lose to much while travelling to that city.
    There are a lot of Greek archers trying to travel south. I think we might want them to do so, as a sneak attack upon Germany would be the only reason to travel in that direction.

Our economy is rather good, and I can see us building a library and trying for Chivalry by ourselves.

I would also like to see a war against India, with greeks on our side. We could use a couple of cats to soften up the wall protected Indian cities though.

Onwards ho.

Grimjack

18. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Looking good! I assume that we have a good chance to get Greece on our side after we delcare war on India. It's almost impossible to get MA's vs a civ you are at peace with.

ROSTER:
    Aggie------------> on deck
    6thgentexan
    Microbe
    Grimjack
    Ankka----------->up

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

1. Very good to get Feudalism as planned! :goodjob:

2. Yes Sumeria and Germany were at war during my turns. ;)

3. I agree we need to hit India first before Greece. Greece has NO horses/iron, and India could be difficult to deal with if it gets its UU.

4. On the other hand, we are not in a hurry to attack Germany as they are backward. But we can take them down to one non-costal city and gift them into Middle Ages hoping them would get Monotheism so we could trade for it.

5. India and Greece might have ongoing trades. We could pillage the road in India to cut it. We probably should sign RoP with Greece to deploy our horses before declare.

20. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Looking good! :)

I'll get to it hopefully today after school... anything special I should remember?