1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AG9 - OCC Conquest (Monarch)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Aggie, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

I followed in Microbe's turns, in leaving SUmer alone, and then saw no reason to not bind up ourself in a deal.

In fact, I thnk we should prepare to strike Sumer out if they still have not roaded any iron.
    If we go low food, we can get a swordsman/horseman every other turn. Having four swordsmen and two horsemen ought to be enough to start razing their cities.

Grimjack

2. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

We have some 5 swords and 2 horses there... 5 horses are near the German border.

3. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

ROSTER:
    Aggie--------------->on deck
    6thgentexan
    Microbe
    Grimjack
    Ankka
    Stuck as a Mac--->up

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We indeed should be prepared before attack, but I'm not too worried about RNG here - our unit upkeep is high and losing some units isn't always a bad thing. ;)

And don't worry - I think I already messed up when I didn't take out Sumeria when I could.

5. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Hey everybody. This is going to sound really weird, but my director extended the run of my show. Appearantly it went well...
    Anyway, I'm going to have to drop from both AG5 and AG9 because this will take another week, followed by my AP World Exam, followed by my Band Trip to Florida. [sarcasm]Three cheers for over acheving[/sarcasm]...
    Sorry to have to do this.
    SaaM

6. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Good for you! and bad for Aggie. :D

Congratulations on the successful play!

7. barbslinger

barbslinger Gun blast'n shot drinker

If Aggie gives me the thumbs up I'll play tonight.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

You mixed AG5 with this one..

9. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I guess we have to do with 5...

ROSTER:
    Aggie------------->up
    6thgentexan------>on deck
    Microbe
    Grimjack
    Ankka

10. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Turn 1 (875 BC) I move troops out of Sumeria. I don't want to ROP rape when declaring war. The horses from Germany go to Sumeria as well.

Turn 2 (850 BC) I honorably declare war and take a worker. Swords move to Kish. 3 vet horses and two elite ones raze Lagash. We had 3 retreats and two kills while taking out two Enkidu Warriors. One of the vets preomotes.

IT: Sumeria finishes the Oracle in Ur. That Oracle will probably tell them that they're doomed :evil:

Turn 3 (825 BC) Three swords kill two Enkidu Warriors and we raze Kish. One sword was sacrificed. 6 other swords move to Umma, but that trip will take another 75 years. The horses need rest.

IT: We discover Writing and are the first. I now start the Philo run. In 9 turns at 90% science (-20 gpt).

Turn 4 (800 BC) More troop movement and rest.

Turn 5 (775 AD) The swords are 25 years earlier than expected. Three swords manage take kill two Enkidu warriors and an archer. Umma is razed. The horses are healthy again and travel to Bad-tibira.
    Luxury has to go to 20%, since the city grew to size 10. But we are busy hooking up the gems.

Turn 6 (750 AD) The swords rest, the horses continue the trip.

Turn 7 (730 AD) The horses knock on the door of Bad-tibira.

Turn 8 (710 AD) Two horses are needed to kill an Enkidu, but we raze Bad-tibira.
    Gems colony is created with Enkidu slaves. Lux back to 10%. I've trained a number of swords, but now switch to horses. Looking at our UU to wich it upgrades.

Turn 9 (690 AD) Swords move to the capital and Erech. The horses go to Sumer.

Turn 10 (670 AD) Two sword kill two Enkidus and we raze Erech. Two horses are needed to kill an archer in the open. Luckily the first horse retreated.

I decide to make peace with Sumeria. They give me their two remaining cities, Construction, monarchy and 104 gold. Now we only have to wait 20 turns for... :hammer:

I abandon the two cities. This is not something our people like, but lux tax stays at 10%.

Turn 11 (650 AD) Troops move south or are healing... Science to 80%, Philo in 1.

IT: We get Philo at first, CoL is the free tech. Next up is Republic on 10% science.

Turn 12-15 (630-570 BC) More troop movement, healing.

I suggest that we now try to take out the Inca tribe. But giving the Germans a beating is also a good idea. Sumeria soon has three cities again, but they are crippled and should be easy to take out next time. I couldn't let the two techs and gold go to waste. Come to think of it...we have monarchy and could switch governement! :wallbash: I do it now... there, done. Unlucky, we draw two turns as religious civ.

570 BC save

11. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I must say that I prefer to build horses now. Especially considering the time it needs to reach the cities we want to raze.

ROSTER:
    Aggie
    6thgentexan------>up
    Microbe------------->on deck
    Grimjack
    Ankka

12. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

Yes, I agree, the swords are mainly for homeland defense, and taking out nearby cities. For all practical purposes we will likely never need more than 4-6 footmen, if even that.

Also, perhaps plan for a rotation of our horses once our UU comes into play, or should we build the UU, and spend our horses taking the :hammer: to Incans and Germans ?

Grimjack

13. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I'm certain that we seriously can hurt the Germans, Sumerians and Incans before our UU comes into play :) I would use the UU mainly for mopping up the three civs closest to us and then for the wars vs Greece and India.

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Aggie, I think we should revolt to Monarch and not bother researching Republic at all.

Republic is great but it probably will take too long and it really isn't better than Monarch in this case considering the free unit support.

EDIT: just saw you mentioned it in the end. Sorry.

15. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Yes, we could switch to currency. A marketplace is never bad. We also can go for literature, but I feel it's not worth it to go for the Great Library. Essential buildings in my view are marketplace, library and nothing else (maybe a cathedral, but do get get this far?) :)

16. 6thGenTexan

6thGenTexan Chieftain

I've got it. I do not see the need for the library. The only tech we want in the next age is for our UU. The horses will continue to bother the Germans and Incans. The swords can be used as lookouts for any settlers moving closer to our home. New horses will prepare for the elimination the Sumerians and start pushing back Greek and Indian exploring.

In battle, do you see any problem with capturing a town, selling off all improvements, then abandoning at the end of the turn? This is in the grey area, but I would take the extra gold for the sales.

6gntxn

17. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

6thgentaxan: I agree with selling off the improvements. I didn't do it, because the towns had none. As long as we have only one town at the end of the turn it's OK. For example: I got two cities from Sumeria only to abandon them.

I also agree that we probably don't need the library.

18. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

What does our city look like now, shield and gold wise? Happiness? How many units do we have? If we don't need to build more units immediately, I suggest going for Hanging Gardens. The extra happiness would be good.

19. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

I'll post a sceenie in a minute...or two...

20. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

True, extra happiness would propably be the best now, as our city is quite big compared to our happiness & lux's...