Resource icon

AI+ v13.1

Hello everyone!
I have often noticed that you can rush some AI cities in the early game if you build 4-5 galleys, which is easy with the right policy card (even on Demi-God). So I would like to see that the AI uses at least 1 or 2 naval units to protect their coastal cities. Maybe by increasing the MaxNumber of naval units for city defense operations?

Another thing I have noticed is that in the vanilla file of Leaders.xml there are some entries with "YEILD_PRODUCTION". It is probably misspelled by Firaxis, but I could not find any fix in AI+. So maybe it could prevent some bugs if you corrected this typo in your mod?

Regarding city states I would suggest to put encampments and walls in their favored list items, if this is possible. Their most important task should be surviving instead of building civilian districts (I am not even sure if campuses, holy sites or theaters help them at all, if city states follow other game rules than major civs).

By the way I have started to create a balancing mod myself to improve the AI a few months ago. In a few weeks I should be uploading it on steam. One of my ideas is to nerf ranged units, because the AI does not handle them as well as human players.
Especially siege units should be nerfed in my opinion, but I do not know how well the AI uses ranged siege units in your games. In my games with AI+ the AI builds almost no siege units, so I am not sure if it is only me. Only once I have seen a bombard attacking a city state, but then it retreated again.

First, let me say that I know the Civ6 AI is incompetent. I commend the OP for trying to solve this problem with limited access to resources.

I used the AI+ mod in an AI battle royale. 8 civs. After 11 hours and 2100 turns, the year is 2847 AD. And no one is fighting.

I've forced each Civ to declare war on each other. Yet after a few turns, they all make peace with each other.

Rome has the most territory and cities, yet refuses to destroy the smaller, weaker civs around it.

Was Civ6 made by SJWs or hippies because the game sure feels like it.

Looks like I'll be headed back to Civ5 Vox Populi.

in my last games with ai+, I often see the AI not moving is huge armies and fleet, or not attacking my close-by units, even when in range of shoot :/
in the Unit_operations Log, there is a lot of "can't start" lines , most often with the move_to commands
(last game, 4k "cant start" lines, on 28k lines, so thats minimum 15% of the ai commands that don't succeed)

If I had to try a wild guess, I would say that the AI gives a move_to command, and if you block his unit, he won't change the order and the unit will stay stucked until the situation change.
It would be good if the AI would be able to change those orders, attacking the units that block him when possible.

It appears quite often too that the range units into fortification wont' shoot at you.
Let me know if you're inerested in my logs.

Cheers, and thank you for your work

is this AI as/more stable than the vanilla one? having fewer cons is more important than more pros for me.

I believe it's still better than Firaxis AI (it also doesn't always negate AI changes in the base game), but if you're not certain you can also go for Civ Flavour Deity, which I have found to do WONDERS for the AI.

@Siesta Guru Will you update this mod for the expansion or will you not buy the expansion?

Heya, I'll probably update the mod for the expansion, but it might take some time to get something decent. I only very rarely still play the game myself, so I don't even really know what current AI issues are.

Perhaps I might just try to do a quick fix for anything gamebreaking and leave it at that, it doesn't really look like they gave us any real new tools, so I don't imagine proper improvements are possible anyway.

Heya, I'll probably update the mod for the expansion, but it might take some time to get something decent. I only very rarely still play the game myself, so I don't even really know what current AI issues are.

Perhaps I might just try to do a quick fix for anything gamebreaking and leave it at that, it doesn't really look like they gave us any real new tools, so I don't imagine proper improvements are possible anyway.

Would love to see a bit lower agression on the city states (one of the most frequently mentioned frustrations about the AI right now) and maybe slightly reduced early game agressiveness and willingnness to declare joint wars.

For the rest the AI just seems to be getting better and better in the game itself as well. You might be out of a job soon if they continue like this. :p

(oh and you should REALLY play R&F. It's absolutely freaking super mega amazing)

I certainly hope that this mod is being worked on to be updated to the R&F update. Finally a decent update that makes Civ fun again and this is a must have mod. The balance of the game is gone without it. I dont know why but they AI will declare wars even if it loses, joint wars at that. PLEASE UPDATE THIS MOD! thanks :D

Would love to see a bit lower agression on the city states (one of the most frequently mentioned frustrations about the AI right now) and maybe slightly reduced early game agressiveness and willingnness to declare joint wars.

For the rest the AI just seems to be getting better and better in the game itself as well. You might be out of a job soon if they continue like this. :p

(oh and you should REALLY play R&F. It's absolutely freaking super mega amazing)

For the issue regarding city states, there is a mod called "Tougher city states" that makes them a lot harder to conquer. This should deter any AI from attacking them unprepared (it's probably on the other extreme - they don't really get attacked anymore), but do check it out.

Was the amount of city state attacks actually appropriate with AI+ before? I recall having a lot of issues with that during development because there's no good 'slider' that allows me to control city state attacks separate from normal attacks.

Was the amount of city state attacks actually appropriate with AI+ before? I recall having a lot of issues with that during development because there's no good 'slider' that allows me to control city state attacks separate from normal attacks.

Can’t recall. Have not played enough. My experience with R&F is that city states dont stay independant for long. 50% of them dont survive first 2 era’s on immortal. After that agression reduces considerably. Only played one full game so far

Can’t recall. Have not played enough. My experience with R&F is that city states dont stay independant for long. 50% of them dont survive first 2 era’s on immortal. After that agression reduces considerably. Only played one full game so far

they are basically free loot early on, but once the risk of resistance and warmongering get too high, the AI decided to never touch them again.

they are basically free loot early on, but once the risk of resistance and warmongering get too high, the AI decided to never touch them again.

This is my exact experience. Overal there are more wars in later era`s and the diplomatic AI is way less irrational. Which is a real improvement by firaxis. On my first full game i got away with warmongering quite well in 3th and 4th era.
I shoul have been the new h*tler. But relations got back to normal besides the civs i captured cities from. They did not hate me but were somewhat angry (yellow unhappy face instead of red). Kept repeating they lost cities every x turns or so. They could not live with their loss.

Heya, so here's what I have so far for the next release. If anyone could help out with some testing that would be awesome, games take long.

Changes:
- Made fully compatible with the expansion (and it should still work if you don't have it)
- Added unique behavior (build preferences etc.) to all the expansion and DLC leaders
- Deepened the uniqueness of unique behavior, militaristic civs are now more likely to attack, industrial civs will now prioritize techs like apprenticeship, etc.
- Reduced early city state rushes by making city states build more units early
- Tuned aggression a little. Average aggression should be about the same, but there should be some more focused aggression (when a civ feels strong, militaristic civs, more lategame wars)
- Reduced late game settling somewhat
- Did some changes that hopefully reduce civs eagerness to make peace

Attachments

• AI+ v12.0 beta.rar
    27.1 KB · Views: 107
Oh yeah, so maybe this is something you guys could help out with a bit too. When it comes to giving leaders their own specific behaviors I'm not always really sure what to do. I'm trying to give each of them a bit of a mix of behaviors appropriate either because of their civs playstyle or for historical flavor reasons. But for a lot of leaders I'm not really sure what way to go.

Basically I've made a couple of behavioral categories, then assign each leader some of these based on what I feel is appropriate.
These are the categories I use:

Main categories:

Militaristic - Build more units, attack more often, etc.
Scientific - Build more campuses, focus on research orientated techs etc.
Industrious - Build more mines, industrial districts, etc.
Economic - Get more trade routes and gold
Religious - Holy sites everywhere
Cultural - Tourism and culture gains are the best
Expansionist - More cities
Growth-focussed - Bigger cities

Minor categories:

Naval - Builds more naval units and harbors and will favor settling on coast
Defensive - Builds more defensive structures, less likely to attack
Wonderbuilder - Builds more wonders
Diplomatic - focuses on envoys a bit more and is more likely to get into friendships/alliances
Horseman - Prefers building cavalry, builds stables (others build barracks), likes to settle near horses
Spy - Builds more spies, prioritizes spy-supporting stuff
Semi-militaristic, semi-religious, semi-cultural - Weaker versions of their respective categories. These leaders will not necessarily focus on these as the main victory condition

The leaders currently have these categories associated with them, with main categories bolded for clarity.

Alexander: extremely-militaristic, expansion, scientific
Amanitore: military, industrial, growth, semi-religious
Catherine de Medici: cultural, defensive, semi-religious, wonder, diplomat, spy
Chandragupta: military, growth, religious, horseman
Cleopatra: economic, semi-militaristic, semi-religious, semi-cultural
Cyrus: military, econ, expansion, semi-cultural, diplomat
Barbarossa: scientific, industrial, military
Gandhi: growth, religious, defensive, semi-cultural, diplomat, horseman
Genghis Khan: extremely-militaristic, expansion, semi-religious, horseman
Gitarja: religious, growth, naval
Gorgo: extremely-militaristic, cultural
Gilgamesh: military, science, horseman
Hardrada: military, religious, naval
Hojo: industrial, religious, semi-militaristic, naval, defensive , spy
Jadwiga: cultural, religious, semi-militaristic, horseman
Jayavarman: religious, growth, industrial, wonder
John Curtin: cultural, semi-militaristic, diplomat, naval
Lautaro: military, semi-cultural, semi-religious
Montezuma: extremely-militaristic, expansion, religious, spy
Mvemba: expansion, growth, cultural
Pedro: cultural, expansion, naval, semi-religious
Pericles: cultural, semi-militaristic, defensive, semi-religious,
Peter: econ, expansion, cultural, semi-militaristic, semi-religious, diplomat, horseman
Philip 2: military, econ, expansion, religious, naval, semi-cultural
Poundmaker: econ, expansionist, semi-militaristic, diplomat
Qin Shi Huang: industrial, defensive, semi-cultural, wonder
Robert the bruce: scientific, industrial, semi-militaristic, spy
Saladin: scientific, semi-militaristic, semi-religious, horseman
Seondeok: scientific, semi-religious, defensive
Shaka: extremely-militaristic, industrial
Tamar: religious, defensive, semi-cultural
Roosevelt: scientific, cultural, industrial, semi-militaristic, horseman, spy
Tomyris: military, expansion, religious, diplomat, horseman
Trajan: military, econ, industrial, semi-religious
Victoria: econ, expansion, naval, semi-militaristic, semi-cultural,spy
Wilhelmina: growth, econ, naval, diplomat, spy

So there were a couple of problem cases when I tried to apply these personalities. Some leaders have a game/history presence that's either too focussed (they just did war) or with too little of a focus (they did everything) or I just have no idea because I don't know them.
So some leaders ended up with either too few relevant traits or too many. I haven't got the slightest clue what traits fit Lautaro best besides 'military', while for Peter the Great, there's few traits that don't seem relevant.
Some combinations of traits are also a bit too common and that's kindda boring. Military+expansion in particular is a bit too common.

So it'd be great if you could have a look at this list and make some suggestions.
The ones I feel least happy about are: Amanitore (???), Cleopatra (doesn't really capture it), Cyrus (too stretched out), Gitarja (???), Gorgo (too boring), Hojo (too stretched out), John Curtin (???), Lautaro (???), Peter (too stretched out), Philip 2 (too stretched out), Seondeok (???), Shaka (might need something), Tamar (???), Roosevelt (???), Victoria (too stretched out)

New categories are welcome too if they can be applied to multiple civs and can be translated well to different in-game behavior

Last edited:
Hey SG. Just my 2 cents on Hojo Tokimune.

I would put him under semi-militirsitc/defensive, Religious, Industrious, Naval

While the samurai class was on the rise, they weren't large in number and Hojo is most known for repelling the first mongol invasion with a mere 10,000 defenders (aided by a typhoon that during the mongol retreat). He then built up Japan's western coast defenses in anticipation for a 2nd larger invasion. Bolstering the samurai, building forts and high stone walls at potential landing points which were invaluable in repelling the mongols once again (thanks in part to yet another typhoon, the fabled kamikaze).

Hojo himself was devout Buddhist and is known for spreading zen Buddhism in Japan, especially in the years between invasion, which became ingrained in the samurai bushido code. Zen became the most practiced form of Buddhism over Pure Land Buddhism. In the same era several forms of the religion began to sprout including nichiren. While shinto was still the dominant religion of the time, it was slowly being melded with Buddhist teachings into what would be called Shinbutsu Shugo.

Though they weren't much of a naval power until the industrial era, it makes sense for them being an island civ. As far as scientific and industrial go, it really depends on the era. They were very hermetic and lacked the trade and influence to be a scientific and industrial powerhouse until the meiji era and more so after WW2. I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to change AI behavior based on era, so it would be a gut call whether to categorize them that way. I put industrious as their UB is an industry building.

If there's any way to represent there history as a closed-off country through behavior that would be ideal. (like an anti-diplomacy trait)

That makes a lot of sense Atmaboy, thanks! I'll change it to what you recommended. I had originally put scientific on him because of modern Japan + the electronics factory in civ, but you're right that this is probably the best one to lose. Replacing it with defensive (+a religious upgrade) makes for a much more coherent personality. And yeah unfortunately changing behavior through the eras on a civ level is not possible. There's quite a few other civs where I would've liked to do something with that, either for flavor reasons or for timed attacks etc. I can do either civ based changes, or era based changes, but not both simultaneously.
I think I might be able to make him less likely to engage in diplomacy and trades, though won't make it into a category if there's no other leaders that fit the bill.
One bit of a remaining concern for Hojo for me is his agenda Bushido, suggesting he also loves culture. I kind of want to add that, but feel like he'd just try to do too many things again. He'd want to get holy sites (religious), theatres (culture), harbors (naval), industrial zones (industrial) plus some units, ships and walls.

Edit:
Edited the list up there with some changes. Also added the horseman and spymaster minor categories. Unfortunately the latter mostly seems relevant for some of the leaders that were already among the more interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom