Alarming silence of Firaxis

I'm not suggesting you have a cracked version of the game, that was a different part of my post. To my understanding, you quit the game because of bugs. I have not quit a game of BtS for that reason, ever. I have never even seen half of the bugs that people post on these forums...I often wonder where all these mysterious problems are coming from. My game runs smoothly with no problems at all.

*response to bolded text by T.A

YEs fine and dandy...once you except your playing a mini me version of civ3 correct? ;)

IM not tryin to say I know it all but what proportion runs "smoothly with no problems at all"? ahem, I mean that ain't what a civ3 player would call insignifigant or small? :)

Does your Xpience include churning mods that add everything exept Sluggish play with long turn delay?

Serious, Mybe post a youtube turn of 31 civs on a Huge map late game to end the debate? ...ok even 16 civs? ...how bout just a huge map late game.

Heres a performance example on a bulked up mod (FAR Horizons aka the biggest, with 4era custum soundtrack) played on a map bigger then civ3 huge and past 350 turns.

IM just tryin to explain what some have come to expect in performance if you can show similar results I will be humbled my good man. (truly your honesty is much respected from my side)

[

Serious, Mybe post a youtube turn of 31 civs on a Huge map late game to end the debate? ...ok even 16 civs? ...how bout just a huge map late game.
Where have you been? There are plenty of mods let you play with 34+ civ on superhuge maps (more civs than civ3) if that's what someone wants. The only limit you got to watch out for the 2gb 32bit limit which can be increased. (BTS has made some improvements) If that's not enough then there is Galciv2 which you can play on a map with 700+ habitable planets and will get even bigger with the new expansion. Civ3 was great in it's day but now is showing it's age.
Of course A 7 year old game should have no problem running fast on a modern day PC. It's a no brainer that a modern day PC will run 7 year old first person shooter extremely fast compare to recent FPS.

Where have you been? there are plenty of mods let you play with 34+ civ on superhuge maps (more civs than civ3) if that's what someone wants. The only limit you got to watch out for the 2gb 32bit limit which can be increased. (BTS has made some improvements) If that's not enough then there is Galciv2 which you can play on a map with 700+ habitable planets and will get even bigger with the new expansion. Civ3 was great in it's day but now is showing it's age.

DUde I do appreciate that flawed 32 build you found out about. That explains a lot. STill, IM invitin him to post a decent map turn to show us what "smooth Civ 4 looks like, mybe to prove that theory wrong if he goes dares to play big enough,,, er, half of what civ3 handle easily (in # of civs or maps size)
I knew 31+ its possable otherwise I wouldn't of asked to see it, smooth however? like you say not so easy is it?

Just tryin to to prove my top line of my last post, plain and simple.
Of course, it wouldn't be decent of me to ask such a thing if I didn't show my ends first, yes?

btw THats to be most fair, thats a random turn I posted(not staged). I could have waited for one with less AI vs AI conflict and posted a 30 sec vid but then wheres the show ;)
My fav part is the 6 navel bombarments US drops on my door all in less then 5 seconds!

Well years ago Civ3 didn't run so fast with these oversize huge maps with 31civ (including those WW2 mods) which was the reason I didn't play them. (5-20 minutes between turns .. no thanks) I'm not a fan of "bigger is better" myself.

Hey Smidlee is Vista able to handle more of a bridge from an earlier analogy (I believe it was yours) that you used?
It's my understanding that with Vista 64bit you can allocate the whole 4gb of memory for a 32bit program instead of the 2gb user/ 2gb Window kernel split . Unfortunately I was one of those who got stuck with 32bit Vista (new pc) so I haven't tried this first hand.

Well years ago Civ3 didn't run so fast with these oversize huge maps with 31civ (including those WW2 mods) which was the reason I didn't play them. (5-20 minutes between turns .. no thanks) I'm not a fan of "bigger is better" myself.

HEY Ive aways said IM waiting for CIv4 to evole the way CIv3 has. THe reality is we are in the now and Bigger has only become better for civ3

CIvs a world sized game you need a epic feel to makew you think your goin up against entire world sized armys and stuff. Like IF your told anther civ has joined against you that should mean more then 6 cities.
I could go on but look how many world Ive written already.

You see I didn't mind making moves for that many units back in the day It was being drawn away from my attention span by long ass turns that ruined the day. ONce that was cured I could stay in the grove so to speak and big did become better

the whole point is if someone say CIv4 performs flawless that means they are like you and feel small is best, if they felt large was best they would not being sayin what antilogic is, period ;)

btw Atilogic is a stand up member know doubt. I mean no offence to his person..only his prefs :lol:

*response to bolded text by T.A IM not tryin to say I know it all but what proportion runs "smoothly with no problems at all"? ahem, I mean that ain't what a civ3 player would call insignifigant or small? :)

Does your Xpience include churning mods that add everything exept Sluggish play with long turn delay?

the whole point is if someone say CIv4 performs flawless that means they are like you and feel small is best, if they felt large was best they would not being sayin what antilogic is, period ;)

So.. let me get this straight. Because BTS does not run well on some user built mods that are extreme, we are blaming Firaxis for a buggy game?

The way I read Antilogic's post was that the normal, non modded game, worked well for him, and he did not have any of the reported bugs that others are having.

While I have not played extensively, I too have not seen these bugs (except for some of the minor ones that Bhuric has already fixed) - definitely nothing that would cause me to stop playing.

Granted I don't play MP, so I have not had to deal with any of the sync issues others have discussed (which should be fixed IMHO).

Ignorant to suggest that those of us with problems are playing cracked versions and not all that helpful. Is anything going to be done about the problems with animations or is this only a problem with XP gamers and so not important?

I wonder if they will have problems with the new console version they are bringing out soon or if thats why we have nothing but silence, they are busy rigorously testing and debugging that version lol.

I don't run any mods with BTS and I am not noticing any *major* bugs that would prevent me from finishing a game other than the multiplayer sync bug which is a huge failing of Firaxis. Geez, there testers couldn't even start 1 game in multiplayer???

Anyways, before I rant on that too much, I have played huge, marathon games with the maximum # of civ's (unmodded) and performance is fine for me. I don't have to wait much at all. (Unfortunately I don't have a save anymore for the last huge marathon game I played and am currently playing a standard map game)

I used to try and play huge games in Civ3 Conquests with max # of civ's (unmodded) on a new PC (Custom Built, very powerful back then anyways...) and was unable to finish a huge game because it was too slow. Sooo, I would be inclined to say that the performance of Civ 4 is probably a little better than the performance of where Civ 3 was back when the Civ3 expansions were coming out.

It is ridiculous to gripe about the performance of Civ 4 directly against Civ 3. That would be like comparing the performance of Windows XP against Windows Vista. It makes for an interesting discussion but in the end, if you add new code (i.e. functionality, smarter AI, etc...) the software gets slower. Its the laws of software development.

Ignorant to suggest that those of us with problems are playing cracked versions and not all that helpful.
Just to be clear, since this discussion started with my post: I do not believe that the problems I listed are due to cracked versions alone. The problem is that I have come across a lot of posters who had those problems and it turned out or I highly suspect that they use cracked programs. This now poses the problem to distinguish between those that have the same problems with legit copies of the game and those that use cracks. This also makes it easy for developers to attribute these problems completely to cracked versions if they want to since its impossible to prove on the web that posters don't use cracked versions (for all I know everyone and no one who posted in this thread so far does - I highly suspect neither of those two is correct though :mischief:)

The animation problems are probably due to conflicts between the code and some graphics cards (or their drivers more likely) - which should be addressed by the developers but even if they did (do ;)) you'll always find some cards that won't work properly. This is hard to track down for at least two reasons:
1) the multitude of cards out there makes it a daunting task to ensure compatibility with all of those and I am glad that they at least made sure that you can disable some stuff in the game files so that this does at least not crash the game (I know this is not a satisfactory answer). And for the record it is not an XP problem - I know three extremely different machines all running XP and all running the games without Animation bugs - so I would argue it is not XP but rather some other problem (of course three is a sample size that is much too low to argue that with certainty, but I also am sure that most people playing Civ4 run XP and that most of them don't have that problem).
2) the ineptitude of the Take2 Tech Support which unfortunately does not seem to even read emails send to them makes it hard to be sure that such bug reports including the necessary hardware information actually reach developers - the tech support section on this site (which Firaxis links to instead of the tech support offered by Take2 (and for good reason - see above :gripe:)) is not really suitable for this since only few people actually post complete records of their hardware and drivers.

To be honest, even today with Civ 3 you can have long turn times. SOE (Storm over Europe) has turn times of about 18 minutes today. That´s why it is not published at present. That mod starts with more than 8.000 named units on the map. And at some time when there are reached about 12000+ units sometimes mysterious crashes did happen. We called that effect "MUA" (maximum units allowed), but may be we even run with Civ 3 in the limitations of 32-bit machines, Smidlee did post. Another Civ 3 mod, TCW II (The Cold War II) by El Justo was retransferred from a 362x 362 map to a 180 x 180 map as present turn times of about 8 minutes were considered too long.

But it seems, Civ 3, with all of its setbacks, was the last "classic civ-game" that was produced. In former games of the civ series, there was always a possibility to transfer the graphics of the older version to the newer version without big problems. Here Civ 4 broke with that tradition. And for me (subjective standing point) these 3d graphics of Civ 4 are ugly as hell and a possibilty to transfer the thousands of well made and -in my eyes- much better looking civ 3 units would have been more than needed. And in my eyes much worse, these ugly 3d graphics make no sense for gameplay and additionally sometimes confuse me.

The new civ games are getting a more and more cartoonish styling, what I really don´t like. This started after Civ 2 (which tried to be more historical)with some units in Civ 3 (tank, transport) and became much worse with Civ 4 and the statement of Firaxis senior producer Barry Caudill, that they found with Civ Revolution "the essence of civ which can make its way even to to a pc version" (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6070857&postcount=1) is really alarming in my eyes about the future of the civ series.
In my eyes some of these 3d graphics in Civ Revolution look like an exploded toilett brush and the leaders are even much more cartoonish. May be a possible Civ 5 will look like "Mickey Mouse Complete". I see no real chance to replace these -in my eyes-more than ugly 3d graphics in Civ 4.

And it seems Firaxis in new versions of the civ series always cuts out the features I did like. The Civ 2 feature to easily do events was cut out in civ 3 and the same for the handling of helicopters, caravans and spies. The idea to be more historical of Civ 2 was abandoned as cartoonish graphics were introduced with Civ 3 (and this was badly maximised with Civ 4). What I mostly liked in Civ 3, the units graphics, was cut out in Civ 4, the same with the idea how artillery should work (what Firaxis was only able to solve properly for sea artillery in Civ 3). I liked to have seawarfare and instead of improving it, it was simplified. The statement that "sea is only another kind of desert" doesn´t make any hope for getting things better in the future. Hey Firaxis do you know, that more than 80 % of the world is sea and sea isn´t an other kind of a desert?

In the earlier versions of the Civ series (Civ 2 and Civ 3) a lot of these shortcomings could be corrected by modding. The shortcoming of the 3d engine in Civ 4 (and as brickheaded as Firaxis is in this point, in future versions too) can´t be corrected with modding. So for me it´s not alarming, that there is no new patch for Civ 4 BTS, as Civ 4 -in my eyes- is unhealable spoiled with that 3d engine. With the statements of Firaxis senior producer Barry Caudill above, Firaxis still is thinking about a new version of Civ and it seems Civ 4 will dissapear out of the head of that software company much more quickly as all other versions, that did preceed it. Alarming in my eyes is -with the statements of Barry Caudill above - that there won´t be any more satisfying versions of Civ for me. This means, I have to stay with Civ 3 and Civ 2 ToT, until another company tries to fill that gap.

I agree with much of what you've written. In particular, how much the 3D graphics detract from what I consider is the Civ experience. I really don't care whether sheep are moving about or pigs are oinking or whether I can view my cities from different angles. What I care about is gameplay. In my view, so much time and effort was spent on developing and integrating the 3D graphics that most other aspects of the game have suffered. Your point about artillery is illustrative. The whole point of artillery is that you don't have to bring it in close to do damage. Yet one can no longer fire more than one space. There are lots of little annoyances too. For example, in Civ3 you could locate any visible city in the world by using the SHIFT+L command. Now you've got to scour the whole map in search of cities. Also, the forced centering on the active unit is very annoying. Why can't I just stay where I am on the map. If I want to center on the active unit, I'll hit "C." That reminds me: In Civ3, if you want to center on your home city, all you have to do is hit "H." Why was that little convenience so hard to carry over into Civ4? And I, too, find it much harder to discern what's going on visually.

Again, I think it all goes back to the focus on 3D. I'd guess Firaxis felt they couldn't put out another 2D game for fear of being labeled behind the times. But, for me, Civ has never been about graphics as much as strategy. All that being said, I'm not saying Civ4 is a bad game by any means. I play it and enjoy it very much. It just seems that a lot of the collective gameplay wisdom and innovations which evolved over time were lost in Civ4 in the name of creating a 3D game.

JFCNYPD, I agree about that the rookie artillery should be able to fire from 2 tiles distance, I also add that the expert ones should be able to shoot from 3 tiles distance,anyway that's OT indeed ;)

What you guys are talking is form over function. If, for you personally, form has little value, that's understandable. However, it is inarguable that to attract the new generation of gamers, particularly kids and teenager, any new civ game absolutely has to have better graphics than were seen in Civ2 or Civ3.

There's no reason we can't have both form and function.

Wodan

^^ Limited time and resources? If you don't have time to do both a good form and a good function ( using your wording ) , you have to choose... and clearly the Civ IV team choosed good graphics over good game mechanics ( not my words: I read Soren's blog a while ago, when he was discussing why the SMAC unit workshop system was not in Civ IV..... one word, just one word: graphics (in his opinion ( that I respect .... goood game making is hard ) the SMAC workshop would prevent good looking units, due to dificulty to make them out of Lego-type graphic blocks ).... Form over function QED ).

I agree that the civ community needs fresh blood ( how many of us came from civ II or SMAC ? ), but a game with some logical flaws in his core system and with a sometimes hard management ( I really miss the city search funtion of civ III, especially when in war ( "the enemy is near XYZ" ... Where the hell is that? scroll, scroll , zoom in, zoom out, F1 , search again..... ) ) may not atract a lot of people, in spite of the shiny graphics ( even AOE3 beats Civ IV to the points in there )... people come to civ games searching for a strategy game, not for eyecandy (a little of it can't hurt, but it is not the most important stuff ). Let's hope that BtS may be developed to his full potential and that the still hypotetical Civ V will have a more well thinked structure ( and please remove all forms ( direct and especially the indirect ) of anti human bias out of the game, please..... )

There's no reason we can't have both form and function.

Then why don't we have both?

The point is we have more form and less function in Civ4. If Civ continues to add form and lose function, it won't attract new customers anyway.

I agree with much of what you've written. In particular, how much the 3D graphics detract from what I consider is the Civ experience. I really don't care whether sheep are moving about or pigs are oinking or whether I can view my cities from different angles. What I care about is gameplay. In my view, so much time and effort was spent on developing and integrating the 3D graphics that most other aspects of the game have suffered. Your point about artillery is illustrative. The whole point of artillery is that you don't have to bring it in close to do damage. Yet one can no longer fire more than one space. There are lots of little annoyances too. For example, in Civ3 you could locate any visible city in the world by using the SHIFT+L command. Now you've got to scour the whole map in search of cities. Also, the forced centering on the active unit is very annoying. Why can't I just stay where I am on the map. If I want to center on the active unit, I'll hit "C." That reminds me: In Civ3, if you want to center on your home city, all you have to do is hit "H." Why was that little convenience so hard to carry over into Civ4? And I, too, find it much harder to discern what's going on visually.

Again, I think it all goes back to the focus on 3D. I'd guess Firaxis felt they couldn't put out another 2D game for fear of being labeled behind the times. But, for me, Civ has never been about graphics as much as strategy. All that being said, I'm not saying Civ4 is a bad game by any means. I play it and enjoy it very much. It just seems that a lot of the collective gameplay wisdom and innovations which evolved over time were lost in Civ4 in the name of creating a 3D game.

Er . . . how precisely did Civ IV being a 3D game prevent any of those things? Given that Civ IV removed the major and poorly designed inconveniences of pollution striking a tile and an entire city being unable to build because 3 of its population are unhappy (not to mention having an intelligently designed combat system), I'll forgive them a few minor inconveniences.

Incidentally, go to your options and click "no unit cycling."

Er . . . how precisely did Civ IV being a 3D game prevent any of those things?

You've proven the point. Saying that the focus on 3D likely caused the omissions is the most benign explanation. What's yours? A conscious decision by Friaxis to make the game less full-featured (e.g., ranged artillery) and convenient (e.g., finding cities)?

The point is we have more form and less function in Civ4. If Civ continues to add form and lose function, it won't attract new customers anyway.

I don't agree at all. How much "function" there is in Civ IV is completely a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, we've got at least as much "function" in Civ IV as we did in III, if not more. The only area that "form" interfered with "function", imo, is with the system requirements for larger maps. But in terms of actual gameplay, I don't think it suffered at all. The artillery example you list is a design choice. I'd agree with the ability to search for a city - while you can view a city by using the F1 screen, sometimes I want to know where the city actually is on the map, and it can be hard to scroll around and find it.

Bh

Top Bottom