ALC Game 21: Zulus/Shaka

Well I'd stick with Bureaucracy because it keeps both Moscow and Babylon happy with you.

Otherwise, Representation+Mercantilism... because that will slow the tech rate for others, and you still get America's Trade routes (I would consider changing to Theocracy too if you can get a GA to do it in, you are Shaka, why are you building buildings instead of 2 promotion units)

I still think a Diplomatic victory by means of capitulated vassals only is perfectly in line with Shaka (you force them all to bow the knee). So essentially a 'Diplomation' Victory.

Basically I'd go Korea then France (once you have Rifles, don't wait for Cannons) in Representation, Bureaucracy, Caste, Mercantilism, Theocracy

I would definitely take the deal, Replacable Parts helps you towards Rifling and a faster attack on France. (PS Actually Deficit Research ie 100% science and Then go for the upgrade money at 100% gold) [do that in 2 bursts
1. Get Rifling and upgrade troops while attacking Korea (before France)
2. Get Cannons and upgrade Trebs while attacking France

3. Get Infantry and upgrade troops before attacking Russia/Babylon

Mmmmh, tough nut, that one.
My train of thaught: Replacable Parts would be nice to have, but giving Peter Constitution will make him able to run Representation on his own soon. Maybe you'd live to regret that deal 20 turns later. What about giving him just a bunch of money (+resource) without a tech ? (fingers crossed)

If he won't make the deal, I'd call it off, denying him Const (and myself Replaceable Parts, of course).

Which brings me to

Techs: Chemistry will be online in 2 turns. What about Military Science afterwards ? This one will get you Grens. And Grens would be just perfect to wage war against Wang Kon AND to cover your a** along your frontline --ehm -- borders to your beloved neighbors. Assuming they're building Riflemen.

Critical thing here: Peter will likely go for (resp. have) his Cossacks. Denying him the deal would mean to research RP>Rifling on my own to counter that threat.
Or cannons first for better siege ?

Maybe one could sell Constitution for that miserable DR and some gold to Charly ? Perhaps Peter and he will backstab each other, regardless of shared religion ?

Civics: Representation is the only one I'd take for sure.
Mercantlism looks fine atm.
Nationhood and Theocracy would also be a good thing to get some really well-trained Grenadiers ;)

I think you mean vassalage and thoecracy for well-trained grenadiers. Bear in mind that Peter truly loathes Washington and will DoW him as soon as he is able. That means war against you as well. Fighting Peter brings in Hammy. You'll need some fleets to protect your coastal cities.

Try gifting money to Washington to improve how he feels about you. You did sack quite a few of his cities.

Your campaign to change Peter's religion ought to be about to bear fruit.You haveto be able to bribe Wan Kon and De Gaulle into war against Peter and Hammy. I wouldn't give Peter the chance to switch to representation.

Diplomation is going to be easier than domination because you get all your vassals' votes but only half their land.

Looks like some challenge has reappeared in the ALC.

Peter will only DoW Washington if he doesn't like Sisiutil and thinks he can handle the power of him and his vassal. They never DoW on just a vassal I find.

I also decided to follow OTAKUjbski's advice to capture two more American cities.
OTAKUjbski made a stellar call on what Peter was going to do with Chicago. Look how close he came to taking the city himself!
As it was, I lost two units (the Cat and one Knight) to take the city. Given the low health levels of Peter's units, I don't think he could have done it on the next turn. So hats off to OTAKUjbski and his opportunistic streak! I've had the AI pull this stunt on me in a couple of games, so it's nice to get some of my own back.

Holy crap! I made it into an ALC! :cool:

And what's more, with good advice! :goodjob:

This is the crowning achievement of my Civ4 'career'. :king:

Party for me! [party]

(OK; I'm done ... back on track.)

--------

Round 8 is going to be tough.

I like everything Krikkitone said and second his ideas.

Specifically, to the one about taking the deal with Peter. Grenadiers are great and all, but their service length in this situation (specifically against Peter's soon-to-be-arriving Cossacks) doesn't merit prioritizing MS.

As far as your Civics choices, Rep+Bureau+CS+Merc+Theo sounds very appealing, but all those turns of Anarchy are going to hurt pretty bad. I guess now is the best time as ever what with the "lull" now before the upcoming Korean war.

If you have an ace up your sleeve somewhere to start a Golden Age, now would be an especially good time.

So far, so good. It's coming down to the wire, and I can't wait to see the conclusion of this nailbiter. :goodjob:

If Peter hates Washington who is now S's vassal then that will affect Peter's attitude to S generally. If Peter gets a decent power lead on S then a DoW is possible, particularly if S is involved in a war with someone else and has been taking casualties.
In this scenario picking up rifling asap is a good idea.

Mmmmh, tough nut, that one.
My train of thaught: Replacable Parts would be nice to have, but giving Peter Constitution will make him able to run Representation on his own soon. Maybe you'd live to regret that deal 20 turns later. What about giving him just a bunch of money (+resource) without a tech ? (fingers crossed)

Peter can Run Representation WITHOUT Constitution, he has the Pyramids (running US now)

Also Peter's power is a Key reason to stick with Bureaucracy (it also keeps Hammy happy)..

As it is right now You, Russia, and Babylon all have the same religion and the same favorite civic... French Nationalists are hurting their county's image abroad... make sure they have the option of denying the faith as well (getting Liberalism to Degaulle is good).

Washington's reputation with Moscow will improve, and Your Vassal will slowly but surely grow to like you (you did liberate a city to them, and they have a defensive alliance with you now (and soon shared military struggle))

Keep up good relations with Peter and Hammy and you might even get their help in taking on DeGaulle

Aaah civics change discussions :)

I think you're looking at a long anarchy without a golden age... do we have any great people sitting around? I like the idea of leveraging civics to remain on good terms with other civs, though. without looking into too much, I think it might be worth forgoing anarchy while we beat up on Wang, and try to save up the 1 or 2 GP we need for a golden age...

As for tech, I normally do beeline to grenadiers, and end up with a LONG era with them: they end up being my main offensive units (other than trebs then cannons). However, if we're paranoid about rampaging cossacks, I would tend towards rifling: we have enough to take out wang as it is, without grens, right?

Rifles are the best way to beat cossack (be happy you don't have to face the vanilla version), and cannons can get you stronger seige. If Wang dosen't have gunpowder yet, beeline them and then easily flatten him with rifles and cannons, or possibly just rifles.

Long term, I would suggest going towards assembly line soon, then grab communism (state property!) to reduce upkeep.

Well I'd stick with Bureaucracy because it keeps both Moscow and Babylon happy with you.

Otherwise, Representation+Mercantilism... because that will slow the tech rate for others, and you still get America's Trade routes (I would consider changing to Theocracy too if you can get a GA to do it in, you are Shaka, why are you building buildings instead of 2 promotion units)

I still think a Diplomatic victory by means of capitulated vassals only is perfectly in line with Shaka (you force them all to bow the knee). So essentially a 'Diplomation' Victory.

Basically I'd go Korea then France (once you have Rifles, don't wait for Cannons) in Representation, Bureaucracy, Caste, Mercantilism, Theocracy

I would definitely take the deal, Replacable Parts helps you towards Rifling and a faster attack on France. (PS Actually Deficit Research ie 100% science and Then go for the upgrade money at 100% gold) [do that in 2 bursts
1. Get Rifling and upgrade troops while attacking Korea (before France)
2. Get Cannons and upgrade Trebs while attacking France

3. Get Infantry and upgrade troops before attacking Russia/Babylon

+1
you'll probably need cannons for france. Also, a war with russia will be dependent on where he is in tech. you may have to hold off to let your large empire boost you to a tech and subsequent unit lead over petey boy. then again, i'm conservative when it comes to war. i like to know i'm going to win.

Peter can Run Representation WITHOUT Constitution, he has the Pyramids (running US now)

I've been reading all previous ALCs within the last week - sorry for missing a wonder in the game :D

Then it's a deal for RP, of course.
Concerning war targets: I like to have "plain" empires after a war. Conquering only a part of France would make the resulting borderlines - quite annoying, I'd say. But maybe that's just a matter of taste.

With a look on the map, I'd try a decent military buildup and then press on Peter as soon as possible, taking (or razing ;) ) every city south of the line from this isolated Korean city.
If Sis manages to start a crippling blow against No. 2 on the board, defeat for the AI will be inevitable :D

Aaah civics change discussions :)

One minor point. If we are going to play as Shaka, we should adopt nationalism and start drafting. If our neighbours dont´t like it, that´s their problem. (both are historically accurate)

Next is Saladin right? That means you must change civics at l;east once per turnset.

The original pieman must be the one who lives closest to Wigan, UK.

Top Bottom