Alfred's England: From the Anglo-Saxons to the Normans

Sir Sam Vimes

Duke of Ankh
I loved 'The Rood and the Dragon' and 'Camelot!' and I decided to make my own scenario based in early medieval Britain.

5 flavours, 14 tribes (all playable):
Spoiler :

Flavour 1: Irish
Kingdom of Uladh
Kingdom of Mumha
Kingdom of Dál Riata
Kingdom of Laighan

Flavour 2: Anglo-Saxon
Kingdom of Wessex
Earldom of Northumbria
Kingdom of Kent
Kingdom of Sussex

Flavour 3: British Celtic
Picts
Dumnonii
Cymri

Flavour 4: Viking
Kingdom of the Northway (Norway)
Danes

Flavour 5: Norman
Duchy of Normandy

As the Normans, Anglo-Saxons or Irish, win with 30% territory and a victory wonder
As the Vikings and British Celts, win with 50% territory

Each flavour will have its own individual tech tree just as soon as I work out how to do that rather than having one tree showing all flavours...

From the viewpoint of the British and Irish, the Vikings will arrive in era 3 and the Normans in era 4.

the eras are:
Spoiler :

Pre-Christian Kingdoms
The Coming of Christianity
The Coming of the Vikings
The Coming of the Normans

As I am quite new to modding, any help would be much appreciated so please get involved!

*Update*
Right, stuff I need to do... if anyone has these things already done for some reason, now would be a good time to mention it :)

Graphics:
1 - Anglo-Saxon Wonder Icons:
Sutton Hoo
Beowulf
Bede's Chronicle
Lindisfarne Bible
Pilgrimage to Rome
Westminister Abbey

2 - Anglo-Saxon Improvement Icons:
Coastal Fortress (Medieval)
Town Council
Medieval Library
Tavern
Dock (or some sort of Medieval deepwater harbour)
Weavers
Cock-fighting ring
Brewery

3 - Anglo-Saxon Units:
Marauder ( an era 1 bandit)
Raider (an era 1 pirate)
Staffman
Royal Guard

4 - Irish Units:
Pirate
Raiding craft
Kern

5 - Irish wonder icons:
Tara

that's it so far...

*Update*
Anglo-Saxon tech tree for 1st Era: Now attached (as a word file...)!

*Update*

Kyraikos is working on an amazingly cool monastery resource for the scenario, and he's letting me use his medieval city graphics, so a big thank you to him :)

Attachments

• Anglo tech tree era 1.doc
    26 KB · Views: 209
First post! First, be sure that Plotinus agrees to let you modify his scenario.

Then, I have to say it's a very good idea and starting with such a good basis will help you.

Adding units or replacing the existing ones is fairly easy, but you'll quickly want to add more units that will require new techs...

Try your own way and ask any question if you encounter problems.

As the Normans, Anglo-Saxons or Irish, win with 30% territory and a victory wonder
As the Vikings and British Celts, win with 50% territory

I'm not sure that the different domination requirements are possible (i.e. you can change the domination % from 66% to whatever you want, but I don't think you can have it be two different percentages for different factions unless you stick in an unreachable island that covers 20% of the territory and does nothing else)

Aside from that it looks good. You might want to look at King Arthur's "Going Viking" scenario as well to get ideas for how to ensure that the Vikings/Normans arrive when you want them to.

First post! First, be sure that Plotinus agrees to let you modify his scenario.

Then, I have to say it's a very good idea and starting with such a good basis will help you.

Adding units or replacing the existing ones is fairly easy, but you'll quickly want to add more units that will require new techs...

Try your own way and ask any question if you encounter problems.

I've already designed a whole new tech tree for the Anglo-Saxons, and half of the Irish one... I'll post 'em as I get 'em typed up in word... my main problem is editing the text files, as this is my first scenario, so I've never done it before...

I'm not sure that the different domination requirements are possible (i.e. you can change the domination % from 66% to whatever you want, but I don't think you can have it be two different percentages for different factions unless you stick in an unreachable island that covers 20% of the territory and does nothing else)

Aside from that it looks good. You might want to look at King Arthur's "Going Viking" scenario as well to get ideas for how to ensure that the Vikings/Normans arrive when you want them to.

ok, I oversimplified... in order to get the resources to build the victory wonder, you will need at least 30% of the territory (or a very fragmented kingdom :lol:), in the case of the vikings and celts, the wonder is cheaper but you'll need at least 50% of the territory to have all the resources...

If you're making a British mod, might I recommend one of my British interfaces? [shameless plug]
Check my library for '9 British Interfaces'.
Also, I'll be happy to do any additional pcx making you need doing.

If you're making a British mod, might I recommend one of my British interfaces? [shameless plug]
Check my library for '9 British Interfaces'.
Also, I'll be happy to do any additional pcx making you need doing.

shameless plug forgiven... I'd love help! I'll be posting lists of stuff that needs to be done and then everyone (myself included) is welcome to take a shot at doing some of it:)

Top Bottom