All leader portraits

I like diversity, and I think it's good to represent Africa.

I genuinely did forget Rome, though. Unbelievable. :D

Well yeah but there's Nzinga the female badass who could lead instead! I'm all for more African, American, and Asian Civs :) Hell just more Civs of any type! I dream of a 100+ Civ game :D

How do you make an effort to improve the Civs and leaders yet leave Afonso? :sad:

Because Nzinga never actually ruled Kongo, and didn't really have anything to do with them? She was the queen of Ndongo and Matamba - neighbouring kingdoms. Having her leading Kongo would be like having Napoleon leading Spain.

It's unfortunate, as she was a really interesting person (imo), but it would just be wrong to have her as anything other than the leader of a Ndongo/Angolese civ.

Here's my list, which incorporates many of those we know about so far, but makes changes and improvements where I feel there is room for some. In particular, I wanted better examples of female leaders.

Base game

01 Americans: Theodore Roosevelt
02 Arabs: Gamal Abdel Nasser
03 Berbers: Yusuf ibn Tashfin
04 Chinese: Qin Shi Huang
05 English: Oliver Cromwell
06 French: Georges Clemenceau
07 Germans: Frederick Barbarossa
08 Goths: Amalasuntha (female)
09 Greeks: Pericles
10 Inca: Pachacuti
11 Indians: Aurangzeb
12 Japanese: Hojo Tokimune
13 Persians: Shapur the Great
14 Romans: Constantine the Great
15 Russians: Elizabeth (female)
16 Spanish: Joanna the Mad (female)
17 Sumerians: Kug-Bau (female)
18 Turks: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Pre-order bonus

19 Aztecs: Axayacatl

DLC

20 Scythians: Tomyris (female)
21 Javanese: Raden Wijaya
22 Ethiopians: Makeda (female)
23 Phoenicians: Hiram

Thoughts?

5. England, which is practically THE European monarchy in popular culture, led by usurper who is not even a noble? No way in hell. I'd like to play him though
6. I am sold on Richelieu, so no
11. HELL YEAH
12. Hojo is interesting, i suppose, but IMHO Meiji is better
13. I dunno, i still like Cyrus
14. NO! Just... NO! I'd support Caligula just no Constantine
15. Elizabeth? Not Catherine? But... why? She is more boring than Vladimir the Great. Apart from seize of power in a rather bold way, she is not that exceptional
18. I dunno, Ataturk was great, no questions about it, but he only managed to save Turkey, not the Ottoman empire

I think Guana is to new to be it but who knows, maybe it is it.
About the native American alternative, I just found this list:

Gabrielino, Gae, Galibi, Galice, Garifuna, Gitxsan (Gitksan), Gosiute (Goshute), Grand Ronde, Grigra, Gros Ventre, Guarani, Guarijio, Gulf, Gwich'in (Gwichin, Gwitchin)
Source [http://www.native-languages.org/languages.htm#alpha]

But there are so few alphabetically options between Germany-Greece =/

-Edit
I just found out there was a sort of ancient Guana empire/kingdom. Now I believe this is the best bet so far.

Also if the leader is a women, this is a great source to search for her:
[http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/index.html]
[http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/womeninpower/Womeninpower000.htm]
[http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Ghana_Substates.htm]

I know I'm not the first person to suggest a guy on the horse, and I do in fact see the guy with a hat, but I just want to resubmit the horseback rider again. I drew the outline that I can see when I picture C5 this way. I know some people don't see it, but considering we didn't get another first look video today and no one can fit an accurate picture of the bearded guy with a hat/turban, I've got to scratch that CiVI itch somehow.

http://imgur.com/M0d9NXr

Any (more) ideas or comments?

Don't forget that the whole point of the poster (assuming it wasn't an intentional leak) is to let the artists study the character's face; so a far shot doesn't make any sense.

Don't forget that the whole point of the poster (assuming it wasn't an intentional leak) is to let the artists study the character's face; so a far shot doesn't make any sense.

And then there's Hojo...

But when you compare C5 to Hojo, you can see the horseshape so much more clearly for Japan. I feel like it just involves too much squinting when a body form is just the automatic spot for so many people.

I know I'm not the first person to suggest a guy on the horse, and I do in fact see the guy with a hat, but I just want to resubmit the horseback rider again. I drew the outline that I can see when I picture C5 this way. I know some people don't see it, but considering we didn't get another first look video today and no one can fit an accurate picture of the bearded guy with a hat/turban, I've got to scratch that CiVI itch somehow.

http://imgur.com/M0d9NXr

Any (more) ideas or comments?

Funny, I thought for sure it was a Persian leader on a horse but after looking at your outline, I noticed that he could be an African or N.American leader wearing clothing that includes one strap going down the middle, with exposed pecs and arms...his face could be in silhouette with a headdress (Mayan) or facing us (Mali???). This is agonizing.

01 Americans: Theodore Roosevelt
02 Arabs: Gamal Abdel Nasser
03 Berbers: Yusuf ibn Tashfin
04 Chinese: Qin Shi Huang
05 English: Oliver Cromwell
06 French: Georges Clemenceau
07 Germans: Frederick Barbarossa
08 Goths: Amalasuntha (female)
09 Greeks: Pericles
10 Inca: Pachacuti
11 Indians: Aurangzeb
12 Japanese: Hojo Tokimune
13 Persians: Shapur the Great
14 Romans: Constantine the Great
15 Russians: Elizabeth (female)
16 Spanish: Joanna the Mad (female)
17 Sumerians: Kug-Bau (female)
18 Turks: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

I have my problems with Firaxis' choices. But, I am sorry to say, if these were the chosen leaders, I would probably never play the game un-modded. You have reduced the number of female leaders (which is neither here nor there to me; it is the leader, not their gender, that I care about), but the female leaders you have chosen are, in my view, far worse than the ones that will be in the game. No Egypt, with a Morrocaon civ instead seems silly, and the goths as opposed to a civ from Europe is not a decision which I would think would make sense either.

1- No problem with this.:)
2- Why him as opposed to any caliphate leader? Those were far more powerful, and, in my view, far more interesting.:(
3- In my view, a good leader choice for Morroco in a later DLC. But not significant enough to make vanilla in my opinion, and quite similar to Arabs.:(
4- No problem with this either. Though I would like to see Kangxi in a civ game as some point.:)
5- Don't like this choice. Not a popular guy these days, even if he is unfairly vilified (no, he was not a 'genocidal maniac':rolleyes:). He was hardly the most powerful English ruler, does not represent much in the way of the nation's successes, and though Victoria is known for her trademark frown, you've gone and chosen the only guy who looked even grumpier.:(
6- I actually like this choice. :)
7-:)
8-Goths should not be in vanilla in my view. No where near significant enough, nor distinct enough from other European civs.:(
9-No problem with this choice, but I think Macedon needs to be added later as DLC so we can get Alexander back.:)
10- Why him again? We just had him in Civ 5. Why not have Huayna Capac from civ 4 back instead; he was also the most powerful Inca emperor.:(
11- I like this choice too, him or Ashoka for me.:)
12- :)
13- I would prefer another Achaemenid emperor, like Cyrus or Xerxes I.:(
14- Also a good choice, but Trajan is fine too.:)
15- Not that bad a choice, though in terms of female rulers, keeping Catherine would make just as much sense (it wouldn't really provide much variety replacing Catherine with another similarly dressed ruler from around the same time).:(
16- Why? What possible good reason could you provide for this choice? Isabella isn't my top choice, but her over this any day!:(
17- Having already removed most female leaders from the original line-up, why would you attempt to amend this by including a token female leader of which little is known?:(
18- Same as 2; why not an Ottoman leader? I prefer historical leaders where they make sense.:(

I had a dream last night that B5 is Dido of Carthage.

Why? Not only was she already in Civ 5 (so a poor choice for the sake of variety), but she is a legendary queen from a time long before Carthage was important. I would much rather Hannibal from Civ 4 appeared again.

17- Having already removed most female leaders from the original line-up, why would you attempt to amend this by including a token female leader of which little is known?:(
Actually, I think she could be a quite interesting choice. I mean, she was an alewife before she became queen, and the king list not only says she was a good ruler but calls her chosen by the gods...

Actually, I think she could be a quite interesting choice. I mean, she was an alewife before she became queen, and the king list not only says she was a good ruler but calls her chosen by the gods...

Fair enough. Still, Eannatum would be my choice.

Top Bottom