All Things Star Trek

I have not been enjoying the last couple episodes of Star Trek: Discovery. The time travel one was my fav episode this season by far.

It just feels like a season of MacGuffin chasing sprinkled in with occasional fan service. The time travel episode felt more standalone and was more interesting as a result. The rest of the episodes have them going around the galaxy collecting clues, and it just seems like a lazy approach for a season. The whole premise involving the Progenitors was interesting at first, but then the whole thing devolved to MacGuffin chasing. I like some of what we're seeing, in the latest episode there's an interesting culture they interact with, but the overall story just isn't moving me much. I enjoyed the previous season more.

I like 5th season of disco. It's good star trek.

Yeah the quest is a overused trope but like it's a better arc than 4th season. And that's not a total dig on the 4th season, i just felt it drag at times, there were some solid episodes for sure

Honestly, if all these episodes were standalones then I would have enjoyed them more. There is good Trek in there, I agree, but what ties the episodes together as a grand story arc feels lame to me, and not well thought out, and I've been focusing on that as a result. The time travel episode allowed me to mentally separate from the grander arc for whatever reason, and I ended up enjoying that one the most as a result.

The way I see it, if you're going to do a season-long story, make it compelling and interesting. This one just feels.. well.. you've heard my opinions on that already. This season would have been better served with a collection of standalone episodes, IMO. They had good ideas for most of the episodes. Did they really need to be a part of a larger arc? That's the thing to do these days I guess, but what Trek fan wouldn't appreciate a solid set of standalone episodes? The show's name implies the discovery of things, and that's what they've been doing in each episode, discovering new cultures and exploring planets, so maybe the focus should have been on that, and not on a larger arc that falls flat. Hey, maybe the conclusion to the grander story at the end of the season will tie it all together in a satisfying way that will justify this approach, but if we're going by past seasons then I'm not really that hopeful. It just seems like the writers for this show always try to come up with an epic and grand premise for each season, as a way to pull us in, but the way the grand story plays out is always lacking. Maybe the focus should have been on each individual episode instead, like in classic trek. The writers seem better equipped to handle these smaller non-epic non-grand in scale sort of stories.

This might be a tired line, but I feel like SNW really walks that line quite well. A lot of episodes are connected, but each episode has that standalone episode feel that feels so Trek. I wish Discovery and Picard had done more of that. Their grand ideas never really pan out or pay off in the end, but there's solid ideas in the episodes

That's a pretty good get. I haven't seen her in anything in a while.

Variety said:
Hunter previously starred in and executive produced the TNT crime series “Saving Grace,” which aired for three seasons. She won Emmy awards for the made-for-television movies “The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom” and “Roe vs. Wade.” Most recently, she starred opposite Ted Danson in the NBC comedy “Mr. Mayor.”
I thought Saving Grace was a good show. It was sorta your typical American crime procedural, but with a bit of Christian mythology over it - one of the characters was Hunter's guardian angel, played by Leon Rippy. It was kinda fun. It was also set in the Midwest - Oklahoma City - which you don't see on television much.

Top Bottom