1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by hobbsyoyo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo https://thespacecadetblog.com/

Breaking off of the Questions thread - Discuss all thing Star Trek here!

2. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Master of Nothing and Everything

May the thread live long and prosper.

3. hobbsyoyo

Until Abrams shows up and blows it up with space magic black hole bombs.

(loved ST 09 btw)

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yeah, if you didn't care for the characters, then it's hard to get into the series. I think that's the real draw for me to watch TOS--given that I grew up with much more modern sets and a style, the visual aspects and sound effects of TOS are much more grating to me than to a pre-TNG fan. But you watch it for Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

None of these statements are absolute for all the series, I think there were good character development episodes scattered throughout in all of them (although they tend to concentrate in the later seasons).

I just really hate Weasles.

Oh, I remember a mention of it here and there (and one scene where Picard and Riker are talking in the halls about 6-hour or 8-hour shifts for some reason), but there's not a lot of effort to develop and use that. Plus, at least Picard or Riker always seemed to be on the bridge if not both, so did they have 12-16 hour shifts?

:lol:

It's a character trait--he's too much a cowboy for his own good!

Dude, how many times did effing Geordi LaForge remodulate the frequency of the main deflector dish to solve Every Problem Known to Spacefaring Man? Seriously, if I were designing a Star Trek ship, it would have like 20 main deflectors pointing every which way and dozens of extra remodulators.

Just once, I wanted to see a TNG episode where the remodulators were hit or sabotaged and they couldn't escape with a main deflector dish trick.

In any case, I think TNG was a little worse with technobabble than Voyager, but I haven't watched the two series side-by-side in years so I'm not sure if its selective memory.

5. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

I actually really liked Wesley Crusher, especially in the books.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Somebody get this man to a mental institution.

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

As long as that mental institution has my beloved Brain Trust. <3

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

9. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

Voyager, for me, shined with the two parters: Scorpion (introducing 7 of 9); Year of Hell (with acquaintance and curmudgeon Curtwood Smith) and of course the series finale.

Otherwise, it was meh.

DS9 ruled until the finale...

TNG's best thing was Three of the four films. The last film was Awesome.

Never saw Enterprise.

Loved the original series. Absolutely loved the films, save for #1 (yawn) and #5 (Spock's brother? Please!)

Really liked Star Trek Into Darkness.

10. Terxpahseyton

Perhaps I should just pretend this thread also found its way into a black hole.

True that :) Though I personally also kind of dig the narration style of TOS. Something about it, very hard for me to put into good words. Wouldn't want all of ST to be in that style mind you :D, but some is nice.
    I initially wanted to answer "Who doesn't".
    Well in the episode "The Pegasus" it is said that the Enterprise got three shifts.

11. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I loved the Voyager multiparters, I remember all of those episodes you mentioned.

DS9 has never beat B5 in my book.

As far as the movies go, I really liked the TNG movies (shockingly, all of them, I didn't understand why people didn't like the odd-numbered TNG movies), although I feel the Abrams reboots are a bit too comical for me. I laughed at Spock yelling Khan and a bunch of other stuff that probably wasn't supposed to be funny.

12. hobbsyoyo

I said it was a problem in all the series, but you've definitely got some selective memory going on. I watched through all of the TNG seasons a couple of years ago (still an adult) and I noticed the technobabble, of course. The difference is that Voyager goes into epic details about their space magic and throw out fifteen different made up words in a string. In TNG it's usually much more toned down. It's there, it may even be there at comparable levels to Voyager (I don't think so but I'll go along for the sake of argument) but it's not so in-your-face. It is absolutely in your face in Voyager and it ends up getting in the way of the plot because if your even moderately scientifically literate you wind up focusing on it because they won't let it go.

One thing that grates me about all ST shows is that they never really show you what a Federation ship is capable of in combat very well. The ship is either horribly outmatched or can smoke anything that comes within a lightyear. Often, both cases are true, even within the same episode and with the same enemy! I think Enterprise (the show) in particular has this issue; especially during the Xindi arc or whenever the Suliban come up. They can either kick the crap out of their adversaries or they are completely trounced. It can be jarring though some episodes they play it off very well such as when they jerry-rigged the phase cannons to overload (which saved them but caused massive damage to the ship).

Probably DS9 was more consistent than the other series in this regard when it came to the war in the last 2 seasons, though of course they used mismatch between Coalition and Dominion ships as a major plot point (the Dominion with the Breen could handily disable almost all the Coalition ships save for a handful of obsolete Birds of Prey the Klignon's had). But other than that, they were overall more realistic I think in that they showed both sides winning and losing more on the circumstances than on who had the stronger space magic in that particular engagement.

One other thing that gets to me is the transporter. It's awesome but how many times was it made useless due to the unobtanium in the cave walls the away-team was exploring? Take away the unobtanium and the transporter would work and take the away-team out of danger; end of episode. I know it was done that way to create the conflict in the plot to begin with, but it was always heavy-handed. Enterprise (the show) suffers from this in particular because in the 1st and 2nd season there were numerous instances where the Captain gets involved in some civil war or shenanigans and is trapped because the shuttle can't land because reasons but they never even mention the frakking transporter. :lol:

Edit: Totally agree with you on your assessment of ToS. I can't really watch it for that reason even though I want to.

I thought the last couple of TNG movies kind of sucked, in particular the last one. First Contact was freaking awesome though!

13. hobbsyoyo

And what is similar about B5 and DS9 other than them being set on a spacestation? Serious question, I never got into B5.

14. Terxpahseyton

15. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

Apparently the transporter was devised in TOS as a cheap way of getting the characters on and off the planets.

The contrivances are rather annoying and I like to think of The Fly (1986).

16. hobbsyoyo

The one from First Contact wasn't really much of a technobabble excepting the Positronic matrix - the rest made sense.

Why did they include Data entering a computer command code as technobabble?

17. Terxpahseyton

I watched both and I never found them very similar other than the basic setting you mentioned.
    Well I suppose both stations played a key role in a grand political and military struggle (shadows / dominion) and the DS9 wormhole kinda mimicked the B5 space jumps (important so that all the action can come to you if being on a station you can not come to it).
    Hm... well perhaps Bajor is a bit like those B5 reptile people (Narn was the name I believe) and Cardassia a bit like the Centauri. But not much really. Just that the Centauri were kinda imperial and the Narn got sacked.
    First officer is a tough woman.
    Doctor in ST is brownish and in B5 black
    You see I am already going on a limp here.

18. Terxpahseyton

Even better, the shuttle you will later see in Galileo 7 simply wasn't delivered in time and they had to improvise.
    They supposedly figured having them vanish in a ray of light is the next best thing to just having them appear on the planet.

woa, sorry for double post

Yeah I thought that too :)
    Perhaps a metaphor. The actor may very well just have made the numbers up on the spot.

19. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

No better way to pad a 1 hour TV drama than to spend 1 minute giving a genuinely long passcode :lol:
    I'm always genuinely impressed when the technobabble mostly kind of makes sense. TNG did that really well.

Also, the console recorded one of the numbers/letters wrong.

20. hobbsyoyo

lolololol did you seriously play that back and pick out one of the numbers was entered wrong!

Haha I don't know why that's so funny considering I'm not much better - arguing about ST while watching ST on Netflix while ignoring the paper I'm suppose to write that's not about ST.