• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

All Things Star Trek

If this was a fan (interrupting their meal) to take the picture, they are probably just being polite rather than happy about taking the pic, which might explain the toothless smiles. Or maybe they are all just really self conscious about their teeth?
Obviously Jonathan Frakes is back behind the camera! :queen:

Seriously? :faint: Tsk Tsk Tsk... shame on you Valka :nono:
Why?

It's more than obvious that if they try to do TNG 2.0 it's not going to be anything like it was 30 years ago. I know people age, but this is the first time I've seen any photos of some of these people in literally decades.

I recognized Gates McFadden by her cheeks (if she had a facelift, she needs to sue), and it's not like I've ever seen a lot of pictures of Michael Dorn when he wasn't in Klingon makeup. WTF is up with Marina Sirtis' Avril Lavigne look? At her age, it's just creepy.

Brent Spinner is unmistakable, at any age... which I suspect is due in no small part to the number of times the show/movies depicted him as different ages (Noonien Soong/ "All Good things", etc). DS9 made a sans-makeup Michael Dorn also easy to spot, because they depict him as human in Sisko's dream substory. Burton and Stewart are also unmistakable. Plus, Patrick Stewart has been making other movies (X-Men), he was already old'ish during the show and he also gets depicted as ageing multiple times throughout TNG (In "The Inner Light" for example) so his aging look is still pretty easy recognize. Burton and Dorn seem like they are aging the best.

I do admit that I only recognized Marina Sirtis in context and had no idea that was Gates McFadden until @Arakhor mentioned it.

If this was a fan (interrupting their meal) to take the picture, they are probably just being polite rather than happy about taking the pic, which might explain the toothless smiles. Or maybe they are all just really self conscious about their teeth?
The only non-TNG thing I've seen LeVar Burton in is Roots. That's over 40 years ago. I saw only one of Patrick Stewart's post-TNG movies - and that was his cameo as King Richard in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Everything else I've seen him in was before TNG (I, Claudius, Dune, Lady Jane).

Plus, Patrick Stewart has been making other movies (X-Men), he was already old'ish during the show

I was surprised to learn that Stewart was 46/47 when TNG premiered. With the mostly bald head with a bit of grey hair stubble I thought he was an exceptionally trim 60 something-year-old. Now it looks like his age has finally caught up to his looks. Still, appearing to age maybe 10 years over a 30 year period is pretty darn good.

Obviously Jonathan Frakes is back behind the camera! :queen:

I was wondering were he was :lol:

Why?

It's more than obvious that if they try to do TNG 2.0 it's not going to be anything like it was 30 years ago. I know people age, but this is the first time I've seen any photos of some of these people in literally decades.

I recognized Gates McFadden by her cheeks (if she had a facelift, she needs to sue), and it's not like I've ever seen a lot of pictures of Michael Dorn when he wasn't in Klingon makeup. WTF is up with Marina Sirtis' Avril Lavigne look? At her age, it's just creepy.

The only non-TNG thing I've seen LeVar Burton in is Roots. That's over 40 years ago. I saw only one of Patrick Stewart's post-TNG movies - and that was his cameo as King Richard in Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Everything else I've seen him in was before TNG (I, Claudius, Dune, Lady Jane).
No Reading Rainbow huh? Like I said about Dorn... unless you were into DS9 you might not know what he looks like without makeup, but Brent Spinner? C'mon :). TNG gave you tons of scenes with an aged Data.

Anyway, no big deal... I'm basically "No True Scotsman"ing you ;)

No Reading Rainbow huh? Like I said about Dorn... unless you were into DS9 you might not know what he looks like without makeup, but Brent Spinner? C'mon :). TNG gave you tons of scenes with an aged Data.

Anyway, no big deal... I'm basically "No True Scotsman"ing you ;)
Why would I watch Reading Rainbow? :confused:

As for Brent Spiner, newsflash: I don't like Data. I have never liked Data. I might find him occasionally amusing when he misunderstands something, but that doesn't mean I find him a compelling character. For instance, I won't go out of my way to read a Data-centric fanfic or pro novel. About the most out of the way I did go was to start a filksong about him (never bothered to finish it).

As for Spiner himself, I've heard some horror stories about how rude he can be to some of the fans.

Of course, YKMV. I've heard people say David Gerrold (the inventor of Tribbles) can be a jerk to fans, but he was polite and friendly when I met him.

Why would I watch Reading Rainbow? :confused:

As for Brent Spiner, newsflash: I don't like Data. I have never liked Data. I might find him occasionally amusing when he misunderstands something, but that doesn't mean I find him a compelling character. For instance, I won't go out of my way to read a Data-centric fanfic or pro novel. About the most out of the way I did go was to start a filksong about him (never bothered to finish it).

As for Spiner himself, I've heard some horror stories about how rude he can be to some of the fans.

Of course, YKMV. I've heard people say David Gerrold (the inventor of Tribbles) can be a jerk to fans, but he was polite and friendly when I met him.
I don't watch it either... anymore... Its a kids show. It was a pretty popular educational kids show when I was a kid, and I rarely encounter folks who aren't familiar with it. Granted I don't ask everyone I meet "Say did you watch Reading Rainbow as a kid?", but all I was doing was asking you if you watched it as a kid, because I thought maybe you might say something like "Oh yeah I remember that show! Was that LeVar Burton? Cool I forgot about that/hadn't noticed that."

Anyway, yep I remember you don't like Data (or Chakotay), but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to recognize them... its not like you close your eyes in disgust everytime they come on the screen... or do you?:p

I was surprised to learn that Stewart was 46/47 when TNG premiered. With the mostly bald head with a bit of grey hair stubble I thought he was an exceptionally trim 60 something-year-old. Now it looks like his age has finally caught up to his looks. Still, appearing to age maybe 10 years over a 30 year period is pretty darn good.

I was wondering were he was :lol:

Oh yeah, totally. If you take a look at David Lynch's Dune from earlier in the 80s, Patrick Stewart looks pretty much the same. As far as I can tell, he looked like a pensioner when he was still fairly young. He also looked badass.

People who lose their hair early always seem to age differently, because all you can go by is the changes in their skin.

He's a jerk for inventing tribbles.

:mischief:
Why?

The studio got in a bit of legal trouble over that script, btw. Robert Heinlein sicced his lawyer on them for plagiarism (since tribbles are very close in concept to Martian flatcats, which appeared in Heinlein's novel The Rolling Stones... which David Gerrold read as a teenager and mostly forgot about by the time he started college and submitting scripts). So Heinlein was paid $$$$ and everything was basically settled. Heinlein wasn't terribly impressed. There are differing versions of this incident floating around fandom, depending on whether you believe David Gerrold's own account or the others in other "tell-all" books.

I don't watch it either... anymore... Its a kids show. It was a pretty popular educational kids show when I was a kid, and I rarely encounter folks who aren't familiar with it. Granted I don't ask everyone I meet "Say did you watch Reading Rainbow as a kid?", but all I was doing was asking you if you watched it as a kid, because I thought maybe you might say something like "Oh yeah I remember that show! Was that LeVar Burton? Cool I forgot about that/hadn't noticed that."
Sommerswerd, I was in high school when Roots was first shown. According to Wikipedia:
Reading Rainbow is an American half-hour educational children's television series that aired on PBS Kids from June 6, 1983 to November 10, 2006...
I'm pretty sure I knew how to read by 1983. Actually, my parents started teaching me how to read in 1967. The kids' shows I watched were The Friendly Giant, Chez Helene (a French-language kids' show), Mr. Dressup, and the Canadian version of Sesame Street. I did not watch Reading Rainbow, as I was not a kid when it started.

The only kids' show I did watch in the '90s was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? The reason for that was I had a crush on one of the guys in Rockapella (the a capella singing group that provided the show's theme music).

Anyway, yep I remember you don't like Data (or Chakotay), but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to recognize them... its not like you close your eyes in disgust everytime they come on the screen... or do you?:p
Consider this, please: It's been easily 20 years between viewings of a lot of Trek episodes. I had a several years' drought when I either couldn't afford cable or I had no working TV at all. I don't own any Star Trek DVDs. Sure, it's all on Netflix now, but I had to nuke my Netflix account after some jerk over in Europe hijacked it. So no more Netflix (very inconvenient, as I wasn't finished watching the Riverdale series and haven't seen all of the latest season of Outlander).

So it's been decades since I've seen these actors on a regular basis and in the meantime they've all gotten 20 years older. They're not on my personal radar anymore, so of course I'm not going to recognize them immediately. Especially Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis. They look atrocious.

Oh yeah, totally. If you take a look at David Lynch's Dune from earlier in the 80s, Patrick Stewart looks pretty much the same. As far as I can tell, he looked like a pensioner when he was still fairly young. He also looked badass.
Try I, Claudius. That was in 1976. There's not a lot of difference between Sejanus and Stewart's roles in the early '80s, when I saw him in Dune and Lady Jane.

I read his book. It is truly wondrous. :hug:
Which one? He's written three or four behind-the-scenes Star Trek books.

I just really disliked every episode that included tribbles. :lol: In general I view TOS poorly, and then having tribbles show up again in DS9, and Enterprise, and Discovery, and some of the movies... Noooooo.

So it's been decades since I've seen these actors on a regular basis and in the meantime they've all gotten 20 years older. They're not on my personal radar anymore, so of course I'm not going to recognize them immediately. Especially Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis. They look atrocious.
To be fair... I didn't recognize the two of them either.

Soooo no crush on LeVar Burton then? :mischief:

Which one? He's written three or four behind-the-scenes Star Trek books.

IIRC, it was entitled "The Trouble with Tribbles," and was about how he broke into writing with that script. It gave me delusion that I too could rise from the ranks of nobodiness to the exalted rank of professional writer.

I just really disliked every episode that included tribbles. :lol: In general I view TOS poorly, and then having tribbles show up again in DS9, and Enterprise, and Discovery, and some of the movies... Noooooo.
Tribbles appeared in only one TOS episode: "The Trouble With Tribbles" and one TAS episode: "More Tribbles, More Troubles". Both were written by David Gerrold. I mostly liked the "Trials and Tribble-ations" DS9 episode (David Gerrold finally got a cameo part; originally he'd written in the part of Ensign Freeman with the intention of playing it himself... that was the crewman who said "I don't know, sir" when Kirk asked who started the fight in the bar).

The part I didn't like was Jadzia vapidly reminiscing about loving all the 23rd century stuff, and how a former female Dax host had known Dr. McCoy - I'd be willing to bet McCoy probably forgot all about her. And I really didn't like the ending where Sisko went up to the bridge to meet Kirk. That scene was never in the "Tribbles" episode - that was taken from "Mirror, Mirror" when Marlena Moreau (the non-Mirror Marlena) turns up with a report for Kirk to sign and informs him that she just came aboard recently. When I was watching Sisko with Kirk, I kept thinking about Kirk's line when Spock asked, "Do you know the young lady?" and Kirk says, "No, not really. She just seems like a nice, likeable girl. We could be friends."

I never saw the Enterprise or DiscoTrek episodes to which you're referring. I did see the tribble that got cured with nuKhan's Magic BloodTM and thought it was stupid. But then everything about nuTrek is stupid (in my not even slightly humble opinion), other than a couple of nuSpock's lines.

To be fair... I didn't recognize the two of them either.

Soooo no crush on LeVar Burton then? :mischief:
No. I liked him as Kunta Kinte - he did a wonderful job with that part, and I was disappointed when Kunta was aged 20 years and played by an older actor. When TNG's cast was announced, I remember reading the list and figuring, "Patrick Stewart - oh, good... Sejanus, Gurney Halleck, Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk... and LeVar Burton - oh, right, Kunta Kinte. Sounds good, I don't recognize anyone else in the cast."

I just found a video of Rockapella "Carmen Sandiego" scenes I never saw... dang, I must have missed those episodes! (I started watching because I've always been into geography and maps and then found the bonus was a group of a capella singers who did the music and some of the clues - and didn't seem to mind how goofy it got sometimes). The quality of the video is lousy, but I'm happy to have found this. The cute blond guy (Scott Leonard) is the one who was my favorite. He's also the only original member who's still with the group:

IIRC, it was entitled "The Trouble with Tribbles," and was about how he broke into writing with that script. It gave me delusion that I too could rise from the ranks of nobodiness to the exalted rank of professional writer.
Ah, yes. :) I've lost count of how many times I read that book - it's a great primer in how to write scripts and some of the things you have to think about. It's also one of the things that influenced me to get into musical theatre and helped me to understand the scripts. Gerrold wrote about how he visited the set, talked to the actors about their characters so he could do a better job of writing for them (something they found amazingly considerate as most writers never did that), and paid attention to the sets and props.

When I worked on the properties crews, I'd insist on having a script so I could know not only what was needed, but who would use it and how. It did help to know which things could be more for show (and thus didn't need to be as sturdy), and other things had to stand up to months' worth of handling during rehearsals and performances.

In the theatre we had duplicates of some items, as there's no way they could have stood up to the rigors of that much handling. For example, the "poison cake" in Peter Pan: I'd get Royal Icing from my local bakery, mix it up at home with green food coloring, and spread it over a styrofoam cake form and glue green maraschino cherries on it... I had to be very stern with the child actors and tell them DON'T EAT THIS, DON'T EVEN TOUCH IT. At first they'd actually thought it was all real cake. We went through several cakes during the run of that show; I didn't bring out the iced version until final dress rehearsal - the one that was our last chance to screw anything up before opening night when the reviewer from the paper would be there.

I also recall how difficult it was to deal with the switchblade knives in "West Side Story". We couldn't have real ones, because they're illegal. So they had to be built, and the guy who did that finally put his foot down that they were to be touched only in the fight scenes, because they couldn't stand up to much use. It was critical that they work on the exact musical cues, so we had to be very careful of them.

David Gerrold got lucky that in those days it was entirely possible that someone not already on the writing staff could pitch a script and have a bare chance that it might be accepted. Persistence paid off as well. He was so determined to make that script happen, and when it did, he had his "in." Later he went on the convention circuit and showed how script writers could also build a rapport with the fans (if memory serves, Howard Weinstein also did this; he was the youngest TAS script writer).

I find the Original Series can be hard to watch sometimes, a lot of real cringe-worthy sexism, but it's fun once you get past that.

I felt having that tribble on Discovery was a very nice touch, I figured a certain someone had it on his desk to help him calm down from his natural violent nature ...

I find the Original Series can be hard to watch sometimes, a lot of real cringe-worthy sexism, but it's fun once you get past that.
For me TOS is just way too dated and corny *ducks* :cringe:... its unwatchable, mostly. The TOS movies on the other hand are classic, they still hold up and I still enjoy them.

Top Bottom