All Things Star Trek

I heard, and I don't care. Pike was the only good part about season 2, but I'm tired of rehashing.
I feel that man, I'm not really excited for it either. It will be nice if they have a more episodic structure and focus on exploration rather than tired galaxy-saving arcs. But Enterprise and the TOS timeline has been done to death at this point.

I didn't like PIC and I didn't like DIS and I didn't like NuTrek. I'm gonna do a easy pass. I bet they won't even mention the Sheliak or w/e.

Did you guys here they are making a new Star Trek show featuring Enterprise, Spock, Number One and Pike?
Read that today. Like Synsensa, I don't really care about it. I'm fine watching my Enterprise and Voyager re-runs.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, but if the current ST creators wanted to do something edgy and dark, I thought about a series centered around the Eugenics Wars could prove interesting. Not necessarily Star Trek, but just set in that universe. I'd rather the future stuff post-Enterprise be more uplifting and positive.

I just read an interesting tidbit...when Netflix was hosting the entire Star Trek lineup they tracked the number of times each episode was watched, obviously. Omitting first episodes of seasons, which were all watched more than anything else, care to guess which series had the most episodes in the "highest watched top ten"?

Spoiler Make sure you guess first :
Voyager had six of the top ten. TNG had the other four.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, but if the current ST creators wanted to do something edgy and dark, I thought about a series centered around the Eugenics Wars could prove interesting. Not necessarily Star Trek, but just set in that universe. I'd rather the future stuff post-Enterprise be more uplifting and positive.
I dunno, there isn't much Star-Treky about the Eugenics Wars. A darker/edgier/serious series could fit in well in the Enterprise B/C era. I believe the Federation was involved in a lot of conflicts in that period against the Cardassians and the Romulans, especially the Battle of Khitomer featuring the Enterprise-C. That period would also include the inevitable turbulence and tension of nurturing the Klingon-Federation alliance. With a little bit of retconning, a lot of mileage could be gotten out of the idea that during this period the Federation/Starfleet was becoming less Earth dominated and aliens were getting an increased presence in the Federation and Starfleet.

Is there a point to doing something set in the Star Trek universe without making it Star Trek? Just create your own universe then without the awkwardness of needing to shoehorn in Star Trek.

I just read an interesting tidbit...when Netflix was hosting the entire Star Trek lineup they tracked the number of times each episode was watched, obviously. Omitting first episodes of seasons, which were all watched more than anything else, care to guess which series had the most episodes in the "highest watched top ten"?

Spoiler Make sure you guess first :
Voyager had six of the top ten. TNG had the other four.
Here's the link to the article, since lazyass Tim didn't bother providing it. :p

https://mashable.com/2017/09/11/netflix-top-10-star-trek-episodes/

I guessed wrong BTW... and I would have guessed wrong even if you gave me three guesses.

Nice :lol:
Read that today. Like Synsensa, I don't really care about it. I'm fine watching my Enterprise and Voyager re-runs.

I feel like ENT tried that with the Xindi conflict debacle, and the slightly less debacle'ey "Temporal Cold War" debacle.

Enterprise and Deep Space Nine did "dark" really well. It's very possible in the ST universe. NuTrek just seems to have been robbed of the essence of Star Trek itself. It is shiny and gritty but lacks in substance and feel. You're watching an action hero's story rather than a moral conundrum with an enlightened lens.

Enterprise and Deep Space Nine did "dark" really well. It's very possible in the ST universe.
I agree with this. I think that as opposed to DS9, which rightfully gets recognized for this, one of the overlooked strengths of ENT was its ability to portray a darkness and moral ambiguity among the Captain and crew and Federation in general, that was not really present in TOS and TNG.

I love this Deepfake of Spock/Nimoy/Quinto in the NuTrek.

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
I don't remember where, but someone on the forums expressed disappointment in Voyager not realizing it's full potential. I then read this interesting article yesterday about the two-part special event episode "Year of Hell". Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with the direction that Voyager ultimately took (I'm actually more inclined recently to watch reruns of Voy & Ent instead of watching any current shows). However, I could see myself certainly digging a season, or half season long storyline with the Krenim & Kurtwood Smith.
Bryan Fuller Describes ‘Star Trek: Voyager’ Serialized “Year Of Hell” Season Rejected By Rick Berman

io9/Gizmodo - "Voyager's 'Year of Hell' episodes could have been a whole season, according to Bryan Fuller" - May 30, 2020

Gizmodo said:
“The ‘Year of Hell’ and the behind-the-scenes drama not only to craft episode, but that season, was fascinating because we wanted ‘Year of Hell’ to last the entire season,” Fuller said (as transcribed by Trek Movie). “We wanted to see Voyager get its [butt] kicked every episode and through that season was going to be marbled the story of Annorax and the time ship that was changing things. So, we would go back to it every once in a while to remind the audience that is the larger story. But [it was rejected] because Deep Space Nine made [Voyager co-creator and executive producer] Rick Berman allergic to serialized storytelling, violently so.”

:lol:

Well, it's a fun idea. It deserved to be posted twice.

Ageed! Let's make it happen cap'n! :D
I think we've had a mixed bag of shows making returns after many years. The X-Files. Twin Peaks. Veronica Mars. I think I'm forgetting some. To be honest, I haven't watched any of them, I've only read about them. A comics publisher, I forget which one (Dark Horse, maybe?), picked up where Buffy the Vampire Slayer left off with a "season 8" series. I bet someone could do a good Year of Hell "sidequel" comic that fleshes out the existing material.

As an aside, I wonder how much you can get away with in Star Trek Online, in crafting your bridge crew to look like characters from the shows? I'd guess that it wouldn't let you name them exactly, that you would have to come up with transparent homages instead. Back when the game launched, I had some fun running character "drafts" in the game's forums, but when I actually played the game I invented my own crew and ship. I don't think I ever tried recreating one of the shows' characters, just to see if I could do it.

I don't remember where, but someone on the forums expressed disappointment in Voyager not realizing it's full potential.
:wavey: I've definitely posted extensively about exactly this... @Valka D'Ur has as well IIRC.

FTR, I still loved VOY anyway.

Top Bottom