1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Altered Maps 4: Partitioning Eastern Europe Like In The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by holy king, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Shouldn't Taiwan keep her independence? While being a vassal of US, she is a sovereign country.

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

I'm sure Tailleskangaru has his explanation of why Taiwan was annexed, but I'll try to guess:

I imagine Taiwan was invaded and annexed by the PRC early in this timeline, with the United States and it's allies retaliating against the PRC accordingly. When the USA and it's allies finally beat China and broke it up, I guess the USA decided to just outright take over administration of Taiwan rather than make it independent again. (I imagine there was lots of "There is only one China" rhetoric... quite an about-face in American policy, yes? ;) )

3. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Well, there will be a pro-US puppet state of Republic of China in the Southern China (But in his map, Nanking and Shanghai are Japanese), guess the capital has to be Guangzhou then.

There'll be another Reformed State of China in Northern China, as a Japanese puppet, capital Beijing.

Manchuria will be directly annexed into Greater Korea.

4. Tani Coyote

Random question to all the people who frequent the Altered Maps thread:

Is there a map of the political subdivisions of the world? (All countries on one map if possible) I can't seem to find one, and the one on this thread is a bit too messy to work with... (no offense)

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

It's probably been posted in this thread, I know there's one somewhere on the tubes. If not, flyingchicken has one somewhere he might post if you fellate him ask nicely.

Also, here's something from an Alternate History Thread brainstorming session about ways to make Bavaria awesome, I just kinda plopped it all onto a map for fun. About 950, then:

Attached Files:

6. Cobalt Command

Cobalt Command Destroyer of Worlds

I'd rather see a map about the "No Charlemagne" discussion; sounded even better.

7. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Same thing, mang. :p

8. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Are you guys tired of my arbitrary indeces of development? WELL TOO BAD! :p

This one isn't finished (far from it) but it has the important countries I guess.

Blue- 90-100+
    Green- 80-90
    Yellow- 70-80
    Orange- 50-70
    Red- <50

9. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Interesting idea, I have taken it and run with it in this map:

Basically, all the occupied territories were annexed into Korea, Mongolia, India, or Tibet, except for the US and Japanese zones. They have both set up puppet states in those zones, the US one being de jure led by much of the former government of Taiwan but de facto a US puppet. Also, Burma revolted, got rid of the military junta and India, and changed the name of their country back to Burma. Screw you, military junta. :p

No second war has happened yet, but everything is set up for one.

10. Agarwaen

Agarwaen King

You just forgot to tell us what sort of index was used in this map ;)

11. Tani Coyote

:lol: As great as that first option sounds, I think I'll go for the asking nicely part. :p

I can fantasize about the bloodshed, that's for sure... :evil:

I take the factions would be the USA vs. Japan/Korea, with the Chinese factions staying neutral or picking sides depending on what would be in their interests? (As any power controlling the heart of China would likely seek to subjugate them all)

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

You don't mean the Holy American Empire and the European Caliphate, do you? :mischief:

Nice deduction, sir.

I can't see Korea and Japan allying on their own initiatives. The Most Serene Commonwealth of Korea would definitely side with their brothers and sisters in faith in the Holy American Empire.

Good map. :goodjob:

However, I think that Inner Mongolia would annex Outer Mongolia rather than the other way around, considering that Inner Mongolia is more developed, and there are more Mongols living there.

13. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

Spoiler :

i demand my fellation unless you're a dude or an unattractive gurl or something in between (except hot lesbian)

14. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

The map's wrong for the Czech Rep. and Slovakia (at minimum).

15. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

(1) there's more than one map, but there are only 2 data sets ("province" and "country" -- well, 3 if you want to count elevation) so which one? and (2) the data is old, like 1992-level old (both--or was it 2000? I can't remember; whatevs, it's either 1992 or 2000), and (3) I have no clue what "province" means, exactly, so it's either a data-maker's standard or a country standard.

16. Tani Coyote

I'm a dude, so I guess I luck out. :p

Thank you for the maps though! :)

They'll certainly help with my coming evil plans. :evil:

17. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Outcome of the Hadj Virus* semi-pandemic**:

* Name comes from the period of initial spread, when the virus was carried around the world by participants of the annual Hadj pilgrimage. It is speculated that a single infected pilgrim arriving from Egypt triggered the world's worst global outbreak of a highly infectious disease since the Spanish Flu.

** Although the virus hit many countries around the world, it failed to infect significant number of people in the Americas, Europe (with the exception of UK and Greece) and East Asia. The reasons for that vary from effective quarantine measures to natural resistance and gradual weakening of the virus.

Note: Despite the fact that even in its most dangerous form the Hadj Virus has never exceeded ~35% mortality, the collapse of many affected societies into chaos caused massive loss of life. In the southern Mediterranean region, this was aggravated by unusual drought. Resulting death toll was thus many time worse than predictions excluding non-medical factors had indicated at the beginning of the outbreak. Conversely, countries with functioning central governments and effective administration were able to mitigate the impact of the pandemic.

18. flyingchicken

flyingchicken Deity

Is that a cheap allegorical morality jab at Muslins and countries' "appeasement"?

19. Tani Coyote

That's actually an act of pure evil genius, Winner. Very original idea! The Black Death doesn't have anything on this.

I had never thought of the fact the Muslim world could be so easily destroyed if something nasty was to go to Mecca with the pilgrims... Of course, I hope no such thing occurs. But still, the possibility is actually quite scary.

I take it that it will fall to the EU - and possibly the US/China/Russia to "restore order" to the afflicted territories? :mischief:

*dons Victorian garb* ;)

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

People will inevitably look for all kinds of explanations and interpretations.

In reality, it's just a semi-realistic prelude to another idea of mine :)

Yes :) There will be as "scrable for the North Africa/Middle East" with all kinds of consequences :mischief:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.