Alternative Component Names for VP

Patch 0.7.1 on github for anyone who wants to test it out.

Well, my knowledge of geography and Brazilian history is not as accurate as yours in relation to the projects developed here, but I can help.
I just need to make it clear that the birth order of cities is not so classic. Many villages that later became village and cities were formed to form the states, through colonization by captaincies and exploration / extraction of raw materials. There is not an accurate chronological order but the set of diverse historical and geographical factors, as well as any place that was colonized.

Another thing; in relation to native/english names, there is no translation or adaptation, eg Warszawa/Warsaw # São Paulo/São Paulo (there is no Saint Paul, the same with other cities. Only the adaptation of the name of the country that is Brasil/Brazil)

I'll research and keep in touch :thumbsup:

@JNZS13 That's why I wrote where it is possible.
More important from birth order is importance/meaning order in that period.

What about Portugal?

Hey @adan_eslavo @JNZS13 The main problem with Brazilian cities is the presence of cities that were built or renamed during the Republican Era (1889-today). Belo Horizonte and Brasília didn't exist during Pedro II's reign, for instance, and João Pessoa was called Parahyba (Paraíba in modern writing standards, I'm not sure of which one of the you want to use), while Florianópolis was called Desterro. I have a personal list of Brazilian cities based on Imperial province capitals, but I admit I didn't put much effort into it.
By the way, how are you going to handle Civs encompassing multiple language areas, such as Spain, India and the Celts? Will only one language be used or will you use different languages based on the city locations?

Also, I have a list of Chinese cities with Tang dynasty names. I can share them if you want, there may be some innacuracies.
Here it is:
Chang'an
Luoyang
Taiyuan
Chengdu
Jiangling
Hezhong
Fengxiang
Bian
Anyang
Shengzhou
Yangzhou
Hangzhou
Panyu
Hedong
Pingyao
Suzhou
Zhengzhou
Pingcheng
Qufu
Xianyang
Dunhuang
Shangqiu
Yangcheng
Handan
Wuchang
Guizhou
Puyang
Huaiyuan
Jiyuan
Xiangfan
Xuchang
Xinzheng

Last edited:
@Phalanx BR i agree. There are numerous differential characteristics. If a listing of cities from the time of the Republic is established it would be different from an listage of the time of colonization. Maybe we can work on what @adan_eslavo said and try to create a list that includes "importance/meaning order" cities (colonization) and states (republic), ex Sao Vicente, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Bahia. Not ideal but at least do not lose the realism.

@Phalanx BR 2 more needed. Every civ has 34 names.

@Phalanx BR, @JNZS13 Thank you for you devotion.

As I said, you can create logical mix.

I did first 15 names come from Kazimierz' period, then few of them from later times (1400-1700; also few ukrainian, belarussian and lithuanian) and last ones from present shape of Poland. I picked only the most important ones (castles, battles, population, containing harbors and supporting river trade, old capitals etc).

For example:
  • Lódź was built very early (around 1300) but until 1820 it was small village with 200 citizens. Later it became important production center in XIX and XX century;
  • Gliwice was key point in 1939 campaign;
  • Szczecin is the biggest city in West Pomerania, was part of Mieszko I Poland and for a long time was outside polish borders;
  • Gdynia was built in 1922 as a strategic harbor (Gdańsk was a free city).
In polish list I used only polish names f.e. (Troki instead of Trakai, Kijów instead of Kyjiv). This will help when someone add f.e. Lithuania mod and there will be used only Lithuanian names, so they will not substitute each other (there can be Wilno and Vilnius on the map).

I prefer old names (from Imperial period; Pedro II times) instead of current names. If you want I can set special setting for Brazil, so they will have 3 lists (original, imperial based (old) and imperial based (new-after reform).

Is anybody so skilled to get rid of "Sweidnitz" from the polish map? It hurts my eyes. Thank you Firaxis. @Mosile?

Do you think we should slighlty increase city names pool to 40?

Last edited:
@Phalanx BR @adan_eslavo the main issue of choosing names during wu zetian era is the lack of confirmation history we have as China love to burn history... :c5razing::c5razing::c5razing:
As for the cities listed I'll check with my sister who is more knowledgable in china's history as technically Wu Zetian ruled 2 eras of china's history, tang and her own zhou

Current polish city list (40):
Code:
Krakow
Lwow
Leczyca
Poznan
Kalisz
Plock
Gniezno
Halicz
Sieradz
Zamosc
Przemysl
Bydgoszcz
Lublin
Sandomierz
Belz
Elblag
Kijow
Czestochowa
Torun
Troki
Warszawa
Gdansk
Kamieniec Podolski
Wilno
Chelmno
Minsk
Czernichow
Malbork
Drohiczyn
Brzesc Litewski
Witebsk
Poltawa
Nowy Sacz
Sejny
Lodz
Gdynia
Gliwice
Katowice
Wroclaw
Szczecin

Is there a way to add native signs for each language? F.e polish ś, ć, ź; spanish ó etc.

These are the main Villages/"Cities" of the Majapahit Empire
Majapahit (Capital and begining of the Majapahit empire)
Daha
Kahuripan
Tuban
Pajang
Lumajang
Hujung Galuh
Madura
Bedahulu
Jambi
Darmmacraya
Lamuri
Samudra
Barus
Panai
Palembang
Tumasik
Pahang
Kalanten
Keda
Banja
Sampit
Katingan
Berune
Tanjung Kutei
Sukadana

Cities/Village not direct rule
Galuh
Kalapa
Pakuan
Makassar
Luwu
Maloko
Hutan Kadali
Wandan
Ambwan
Barune

If you need more to hit 40 I have the others here which weren't really part of the empire
Batavia (current day Jakarta name pre dutch rule)
Hujung Galuh (Current day Surabaya and largest city during the Dutch East Indies)
Kampung Medan (current day Medan)
Bandoeng (Current day Bandung)

Batavia (current day Jakarta name pre dutch rule)
Hujung Galuh (Current day Surabaya and largest city during the Dutch East Indies)
Kampung Medan (current day Medan)
Bandoeng (Current day Bandung)
Jakarta was called Sunda Kelapa before the Dutch came.

But you have acces to Japnese sites right? Internet has tons of information. You can start doing some list. The more people contribute the better.
In order of precedence by population (modern list). Edo is listed to give respect to Tokugawa Shogunate. These are not the same 35 as in vanilla:
Code:
Edo
Yokohama
Osaka
Nagoya
Sapporo
Kobe
Kyoto
Fukuoka
Kawasaki
Hiroshima
Kitakyushu
Sendai
Chiba
Sakai
Kumamoto
Okayama
Sagamihara
Hamamatsu
Funabashi
Kagoshima
Hachioji
Niigata
Higashi-Osaka
Himeji
Matsuyama
Shizuoka
Matsudo
Kawaguchi
Amagasaki
Ichikawa
Utsunomiya
Kanazawa
Oita
Nishinomiya
Yokosuka

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-11-25 10-31-04.png
    Screenshot from 2018-11-25 10-31-04.png
    53 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
@ProCatGamer I will be very thankful if you double-check the list. Keep in mind that the cities in the list have the name they had during Tang (Chang'an refers to Xi'an, while Bian refers to Kaifeng, for example).

Is there a way to add native signs for each language? F.e polish ś, ć, ź; spanish ó etc.
The signs show up in-game if you put them in the city lists, but the font size gets messed up. I recommend using approximations without diacritics, such as Muenchen instead of München.

@adan_eslavo, does the game use Unicode fonts?
The signs show up in-game if you put them in the city lists, but the font size gets messed up. I recommend using approximations without diacritics, such as Muenchen instead of München.
Request use this spreadsheet for added tables from BaseCivs, ModCivs, and AltNames from (Improved City Names MOD for VI by @SeelingCat):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-pQcZS06ODSdAld757RH7b3XCPy1zRMaDk3oSnGoDrQ/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Attached is screenshot excerpt from Improved City Names MOD spreadsheet.

Attachments

• citynames.png
    citynames.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Maybe font change?

@ProCatGamer In Indonesian list there's two times Hujung Galuh and Galuh, and there are Barune and Berune. Same?
@ProCatGamer, @Phalanx BR: Can you fill Chinese list up to 45 cities? You can check this list too:
Spoiler Chinese cities from Civ 6 :

Code:
Shendu
Chang'an
Weizhou
Puzhou
Bianzhou
Yangzhou
Yizhou
Qianzhou
Hongzhou
Suzhou
Guangzhou
Shanzhou
Liangzhou
Xiangzhou
Suiye
Qiuci
Yunzhong
Tongcheng
Xiancheng
Tsetserleg
Pingrang
Liaodongcheng
Xincheng
Songping
Tingzhou
Hetian
Shule
Yanqi

I added special .odt file with all new city name lists described. For now I've added.
File can be found on github or main post of this thread.
If someone is able to revise those lists, pleasy do.

Ok, I looked through all list and files you sent me and I changed my mind. It will better, more accurate, easier and more interesting if we focus only on one period. So I again totally revised list for Poland focusing only on land Kazimierz had or conquered/unified under his crown. So no more lithuanian/belarussian/pomeranian/contemporary cities.

New:
Code:
Kraków
Kalisz
Łęczyca
Poznań
Lwów
Płock
Kamieniec Podolski
Włodzimierz
Sieradz
Krzemieniec
Dobrzyń nad Wisłą
Wieluń
Inowrocław
Sandomierz
Sochaczew
Czersk
Zakroczym
Włocławek
Wałcz
Bełz
Nowe Miasto Korczyn
Rawa
Piotrków
Halicz
Lublin
Gniezno
Radom
Chełm
Olkusz
Przemyśl
Wschowa
Bydgoszcz
Warszawa
Chęciny
Wieliczka
Tarnów
Inowłódz
Kruszwica
Nakieł
Rypin
Krosno
Sanok
Żnin
Konin
Bochnia
Moreover, I noticed while making those lists that 40-45 cities is optimal maximum we should aim.

Uploaded added and copied from supported file city names (total 16 lists):
  • Montezuma list is totally different from base one. @pineappledan, can you verify it?
  • America, Mongolia, Korea and Siam have very low city nymber <30. It would be good to add something. Zulus have 31.
  • India has 76! Cut? Assyria 57. Cut?

Last edited:
Brazilian list from 1872 (old names?):
Code:
Rio de Janeiro
Salvador
Recife
Campos
Cachoeira
Serro
Bethlem
Minas do Rio de Contas
Santo Amaro
Santa Barbara
Queluz
Sabará
Minas Novas
Caruarú
Grão Mogól
Feira da Sant'Anna
Rio Pardo
Fortaleza
Ponte Nova
Ouro Preto
Nictherohy
Maragogipe
São Francisco
Porto Alegre
São Fidelis
Itabira
Valença
Marianna (Mariana)
Leopoldina
Purificação
Nazareth da Mata
Santo Antonio da Barra
Itambé
Pitanguy
Montes Claros
Vassouras
Barbacena
Juiz de Fóra
Nazareth
Páo d'Alho
Geremoabo
Parahyba
Baependy
Macahubas
Santa Rita do Turvo
Rio das Eguas
São Joao d'El-Rei
Cuyabá
Bom Fim
Penedo
Sobral
Caetité
Muriahé
Paracatú
Assembléa
Pomba
Mar de Hespanha
Lavras
Goyanna
Tamanduá
São Luiz
Campinas
São Paulo
Can you verify/rework it? Cut (63)?

Last edited:
What is best name for Wu Zetian: she was also named Wu Zhao, Wu Hou, Wu Mei, Wu Meiniang? Just wow.

I added Spanish cities for Isabela I de Castilla by @JFD. List seems reasonable and contains standard 45 cities:
Code:
Toledo
Naples
Granada
Palermo
Sevilla
Málaga
Valencia
Córdoba
Almería
Valladolid
Messina
Murcia
Plasencia
Jaén
Medina del Campo
Alcázar de San Juan
Barcelona
Úbeda
Zaragoza
Écija
Nicosia
Medina de Rioseco
Lecce
Trapani
Catania
Baena
Baeza
Palencia
Segovia
Sassari
Cuenca
Madrid
Palma
Taranto
Arcos de la Frontera
Salamanca
Agrigento
L'Aquila
Gravina
Matera
Syracuse
Antequera
Ávila
Jerez de la Frontera
Mérida

I also added England again by @JFD. There were 42 city names. Can you suggest one 3 city names to fill the list up to 45 city names? Shouldn't be difficult.
Code:
London
Norwich
Bristol
York
Manchester
Newcastle upon Tyne
Exeter
Colchester
Great Yarmouth
King's Lynn
Plymouth