Alternative Component Names for VP

adan_eslavo

Archmage of all Pixels
Supporter
ALTERNATIVE COMPONENT NAMES FOR VP
This mod has one purpose: to add more flavour to the game. Firaxis texts are not accurate or do not correspond to times when king or other ruler lived, or to language he used. This mod fixes that using native names for units, building, leaders and civilizations. City list are reworked and written in language of the civilization (so you can use Persian list with Persian names). I hope you will enjoy this mod like I did. I would never start it without litle encourage of @pineappledan. Thank you for that!

As an addition you can enable "City Name Randomizer", which shuffles all cities before each game. It is available thanks to @whoward69 and @Nutty.

Remember, that any part of the mod can be disabled in "ACNSettings.sql" file if you don't like it.
Code:
- unit and building names (xenonyms and endonyms)
- leader names (endonyms)
- civilization short names (xenonyms and endonyms)
- civilization long names (xenonyms and endonyms)
- civilization addjectives (xenonyms; used also for endonyms)
- all city names (total new lists related to ruler times, not present times) written in its language; contains city list for Venice;
- all city-states names (endonyms);
- all Natural Wonders' endonyms;
- liquidated automatic prefixes and suffixes;
- civilization adjectives (endonyms) (29/43) (this part is abandoned; too many problems with sentences with adjectives).

Compatible with MUCfVP.

Download Alternative Component Names (v15)
Github repository (v15)

Last edited:
@Hinin May I ask you what do you think about very detailed renaming or changing civilization names into native ones? You can see few examples on Github files.

Last edited:
Israel:
Judge / Shophet
Temple of Solomon / Beit HaMikdash

Khmer:
Ballista Elephant / Domrey
Conscript / Teahean

Last edited:
heads up on Greece.
I'm slowly working on a Greece/Macedonia split in my spare time. Splitting Greece (under Pericles) from Macedon (under Alexander)

Ahah, we thought about same thing, nice. It is far from publishing, so I will cut this part if necessary.

Any thoughts about added names so far? It is going very slowly, but step by step.

@Hinin May I ask you what do you think about very detailed renaming or changing civilization names into native ones? You can see few examples on Github files.

Sorry for the late response (I was able to read through the comments, but I had not time for answering). I think that this modmod should go "full translation" so that each UC, civ names (maybe even leader names and city names) can be read in its native language.

This is quite a tedious task, and I won't be able to do much (not that it changes from usual :rolleyes:) but, if you want to delegate some research to me, don't hesitate. Thank you for your hard work. :)

I just started leader names. Almost finished short and long civ names. Finishing step by step component's names. I though about revisioning of all city lists too.

This mod was thought small, but can be grown as big translation mod. But without help, language checking, verifying it is difficult.

You can see oon Github current state.

I think this is turning into classic feature creep... I would have been happy with restricting it to just unique components.

You can set options as you want :] Maybe some people will like this mod. I don't know. I know you are not find of some things, but I want to try.

What is the state of your Greek split? Any deadline?

No deadline. I’m still waiting on permissions, but I’ve more or less planned it out

I just started leader names. Almost finished short and long civ names. Finishing step by step component's names. I though about revisioning of all city lists too.
This mod was thought small, but can be grown as big translation mod. But without help, language checking, verifying it is difficult.
You can see oon Github current state.
I would recommend Global - Random City Names to go alongside the use of alternate city names.

First victim of reworked city names. I did it of course for Poland because it is easier for me to test this feature. I noticed that capital was not as it was supposed to be (should be Kraków; Warsaw was chosen as capital much later), many cities was taken from present shape of country not one Kazimierz III lived in. Unfortunately that means Łódź (my current city I live in) was moved to very remote place. Now most of cities are taken from Korona, some from Prussia (after Battle of Grunwald), some from Lithuania, Silesia, present Poland. So to compare:

Old: Warsaw, Kraków, Łódź, Wroclaw, Poznań, Gdansk, Szczecin, Bydgoszcz, Lublin, Kaunas, Katowice, Białystok, Gdynia, Świdnica, Częstochowa, Radom, Toruń, Kielce, Gliwice, Klaipėda, Bytom, Olsztyn, Rzeszów, Bielsko-Biała, Ruda Śląska, Rybnik, Płock, Elbląg, Gorzów Wielkopolski, Opole, Šiauliai, Wałbrzych, Zielona Góra, Włocławek.

New: Kraków, Warszawa, Lwów, Poznań, Łęczyca, Płock, Gniezno, Halicz, Sieradz, Kalisz, Przemyśl, Bydgoszcz, Lublin, Sandomierz, Biecz, Gdańsk, Kijów, Częstochowa, Toruń, Sejny,
Zamość, Szczecin, Kamieniec Podolsk, Nowy Sącz, Kazimierz, Braniewo, Wilno, Troki, Wrocław, Łódź, Katowice, Elbląg, Gdynia, Gliwice.

@Infixo, @CppMaster, @wistak, @janboruta any suggestions?

With rest countries it will be diffcult to totally revise. Maybe you can help me:
@JFD, @psparky, @FoxOfWar, @Enrico Swagolo, @Legen, @Asterix Rage, @Mosile, @Blue Ghost?
If you know anyone from countries I did not mentioned please contact him.
If it is possible post two version: english and native.

Last edited:
He's also concerned with the order of cities in the list, from most to least important, as well as proper, period-appropriate names for cities. Since the leader of Japan is Oda Nobunaga, Tokyo would probably be more appropriately named Edo, for instance.

The city names are unchanged from base civ 5, so you can just refer to the vanilla civ 5 wiki

I'm looking forward to a much-improved Indonesian city list. The one in the game currently is very contemporary.

Last edited:
@ryanmusante of course in latin alphabet :p
@pineappledan Exactly!
In polish list few cities lacked (Lwów, Kazimierz, Gniezno (first polish capital), Wilno, Kijów), where written in horrible german version (Sweidnitz; ughh it is on the loading map too(!)) or english (Warsaw), were less important for that period (Lódź) or capital was wrong (now Kraków instead of Warszawa).

The goal is to revise all lists, but I will do as much as I will be able to depending on community help.

@pineappledan Do you know some people from rest of countries?

Last edited:
He's also concerned with the order of cities in the list, from most to least important, as well as proper, period-appropriate names for cities. Since the leader of Japan is Oda Nobunaga, Tokyo would probably be more appropriately named Edo, for instance.
The city names are unchanged from base civ 5, so you can just refer to the vanilla civ 5 wiki
I'm looking forward to a much-improved Indonesian city list. The one in the game currently is very contemporary.
I'm an American GI living in Japan so I hardly qualify. I do know that @Sub6 would be of great assistance in this regard.

But you have acces to Japnese sites right? Internet has tons of information. You can start doing some list. The more people contribute the better.

So.. Will we see Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit, instead of Bangkok?

Top Bottom