1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Component Names for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by adan_eslavo, Nov 18, 2018.

1. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

ALTERNATIVE COMPONENT NAMES FOR VP
    (in progress)
    Progress (base):
    • civilizations: 99%
    • leaders: 99%
    • adjectives: 1%
    • cities: 70%
    • components-xenonyms: 95%
    • components-endonyms: 30%
    Progress (civilizations):
    • Israel: 0%
    • Khmer: 0%
    Random City Name from @whoward69 and @Nutty: 50%

Github repository (v0.19)
    Download Alternative Component Names (v1)

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    ryanmusante and Hinin like this.
  2. adan_eslavo

@Hinin May I ask you what do you think about very detailed renaming or changing civilization names into native ones? You can see few examples on Github files.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

4. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

This adds a lot of depth in game even though it's only text. It's part of the realism aspect.

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

6. adan_eslavo

Ahah, we thought about same thing, nice. It is far from publishing, so I will cut this part if necessary.

Any thoughts about added names so far? It is going very slowly, but step by step.

7. Hinin

Hinin Chieftain

Sorry for the late response (I was able to read through the comments, but I had not time for answering). I think that this modmod should go "full translation" so that each UC, civ names (maybe even leader names and city names) can be read in its native language.

This is quite a tedious task, and I won't be able to do much (not that it changes from usual :rolleyes:) but, if you want to delegate some research to me, don't hesitate. Thank you for your hard work. :)

8. adan_eslavo

I just started leader names. Almost finished short and long civ names. Finishing step by step component's names. I though about revisioning of all city lists too.

This mod was thought small, but can be grown as big translation mod. But without help, language checking, verifying it is difficult.

You can see oon Github current state.

9. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

10. adan_eslavo

You can set options as you want :] Maybe some people will like this mod. I don't know. I know you are not find of some things, but I want to try.

What is the state of your Greek split? Any deadline?

11. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

12. ryanmusante

I would recommend Global - Random City Names to go alongside the use of alternate city names.

adan_eslavo likes this.
  13. adan_eslavo

First victim of reworked city names. I did it of course for Poland because it is easier for me to test this feature. I noticed that capital was not as it was supposed to be (should be Kraków; Warsaw was chosen as capital much later), many cities was taken from present shape of country not one Kazimierz III lived in. Unfortunately that means Łódź (my current city I live in) was moved to very remote place. Now most of cities are taken from Korona, some from Prussia (after Battle of Grunwald), some from Lithuania, Silesia, present Poland. So to compare:

Old: Warsaw, Kraków, Łódź, Wroclaw, Poznań, Gdansk, Szczecin, Bydgoszcz, Lublin, Kaunas, Katowice, Białystok, Gdynia, Świdnica, Częstochowa, Radom, Toruń, Kielce, Gliwice, Klaipėda, Bytom, Olsztyn, Rzeszów, Bielsko-Biała, Ruda Śląska, Rybnik, Płock, Elbląg, Gorzów Wielkopolski, Opole, Šiauliai, Wałbrzych, Zielona Góra, Włocławek.

New: Kraków, Warszawa, Lwów, Poznań, Łęczyca, Płock, Gniezno, Halicz, Sieradz, Kalisz, Przemyśl, Bydgoszcz, Lublin, Sandomierz, Biecz, Gdańsk, Kijów, Częstochowa, Toruń, Sejny,
    Zamość, Szczecin, Kamieniec Podolsk, Nowy Sącz, Kazimierz, Braniewo, Wilno, Troki, Wrocław, Łódź, Katowice, Elbląg, Gdynia, Gliwice.

@Infixo, @CppMaster, @wistak, @janboruta any suggestions?

With rest countries it will be diffcult to totally revise. Maybe you can help me:
    @JFD, @psparky, @FoxOfWar, @Enrico Swagolo, @Legen, @Asterix Rage, @Mosile, @Blue Ghost?
    If you know anyone from countries I did not mentioned please contact him.
    If it is possible post two version: english and native.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    JNZS13 and Hinin like this.
  14. ryanmusante

Hiragana would be unreadable for native. However the proper Roman letters can be revised.

Where are the lists for city names? I don't see in the subdirectory on github.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

He's also concerned with the order of cities in the list, from most to least important, as well as proper, period-appropriate names for cities. Since the leader of Japan is Oda Nobunaga, Tokyo would probably be more appropriately named Edo, for instance.

The city names are unchanged from base civ 5, so you can just refer to the vanilla civ 5 wiki

I'm looking forward to a much-improved Indonesian city list. The one in the game currently is very contemporary.

Hinin and adan_eslavo like this.
  16. adan_eslavo

@ryanmusante of course in latin alphabet :p
    @pineappledan Exactly!
    In polish list few cities lacked (Lwów, Kazimierz, Gniezno (first polish capital), Wilno, Kijów), where written in horrible german version (Sweidnitz; ughh it is on the loading map too(!)) or english (Warsaw), were less important for that period (Lódź) or capital was wrong (now Kraków instead of Warszawa).

The goal is to revise all lists, but I will do as much as I will be able to depending on community help.

@pineappledan Do you know some people from rest of countries?

17. ryanmusante

I'm an American GI living in Japan so I hardly qualify. I do know that @Sub6 would be of great assistance in this regard.

18. adan_eslavo

But you have acces to Japnese sites right? Internet has tons of information. You can start doing some list. The more people contribute the better.

19. adan_eslavo

ryanmusante likes this.
  20. climat

climat Chieftain

So.. Will we see Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit, instead of Bangkok?

Hinin and adan_eslavo like this.