Dongnae
Gimhae
Suncheon
Namwon
Incheon
Chuncheon
Ganggye
Kyongsong

Well, on top of that listing you passed (give me your source, please) i cut some less relevant ones (roughly, i'm not a history graduate), corrected some names and added some cities.
This week I can search more calmly and try to improve the list, but if you're in a hurry, i think it's okay to go with yours.

Code:
Porto Seguro
São Vicente
Salvador
Rio de Janeiro
Paraíba
Recife
Campos
Cachoeira
Belem
Minas do Rio de Contas
Santo Amaro
Santa Barbara
Sabará
Minas Novas
Caruarú
Grão Mogól
João Pessoa
Feira da Santana
Rio Pardo
Fortaleza
Ponte Nova
Ouro Preto
Niterói
Maragogipe
São Francisco
Porto Alegre
Itabira
Valença
Mariana
Leopoldina
Purificação
Nazareth da Mata
Santo Antonio da Barra
Itambé
Pitanguy
Montes Claros
Juiz de Fora
Nazaré
Macaubas
São Joao del Rey
Cuiabá
Paracatú
São Luiz
Campinas
São Paulo

@climat Thank you. I can see many differences between your list and list provided in link in post before yours. "Waegwan" is missing and order is significantly changed. In that file there was info that it is particulary for Sejong. I was really curious about it, checked it and seems like yours is more relevant. :)
Other list:
Code:
Hanseong
Gongju
Wonju
Daegu
Hamhung
Haeju
Jeonju
Pyongyang
Chungju
Cheongju
Gangneung
Gyeongju
Sangju
Kyongsong
Hwangju
Naju
Anju
Ganggye
Suwon
Kaesong
Waegwan
Changwon
Incheon
Are all of these old Korean names or present ones?

@JNZS13 No hurry I will port your current one into mod. If you have updated one just post it. I did already like 6 version of polish list :]

Last edited:
@climat Thank you. I can see many differences between your list and list provided in link in post before yours. "Waegwan" is missing and order is significantly changed. In that file there was info that it is particulary for Sejong.
I saw the list before I made my list. My list is based on the administrative divisions of the Joseon dynasty. It would be not perfect for Sejong but I think it is better than current one.
Waegwan was a general name of Japanese residential areas in Joseon for trade. (Wae means Japanese and Gwan means a house, so it means a house Japanese lived in). Dongnae was the name of Busan in that time, and there were other waegwan(s) in some ports.

Are all of these old Korean names or present ones?
Old ones. But other than Hanseong and Dongnae, the names haven't been changed since Joseon, anyway.

Since your 4UC mod introduces Chaebol for Korea, it may be good to add some modern cities. For people use this and that modmod together. :)

Last edited:
Are you trying to keep the city names restricted to cities that were prominent at the time of a given civ's leader?

@JNZS13 What about translating Brazilwood Camp? I did Campo do Pernambuco but i'm not sure about "do". Is this phrase correct at all?

@Guynemer Yeah, I hink this is just better. And easier. For now we have done 8 leaders that way and few are in the queue. What nation are you interested in?

Well, I am not a historian by any means, and I've barely spent any time out of the US, but if that is the goal, then even the American city list needs serious editing.

Mhm, that's right. Current one has only 26 names.

@JNZS13 What about translating Brazilwood Camp? I did Campo do Pernambuco but i'm not sure about "do". Is this phrase correct at all?

Its a Brazilian tree known as "Pau-Brasil". So, the translation would be "Campo de Pau-Brasil"

Do/De: It has a very similar grammatical expression in the Portuguese language BR, and in this specific case the translation does not have much difference.

eg in this specific case:
brazilwood camp (campo DE Pau-Brasil) is a field with several trees
jnzs13's camp (campo DO JNZS13) means it's my camp

I do not know if I was very clear but its hard to explain our grammatical tricks.

Last edited:
Its a Brazilian tree known as "Pau-Brasil". So, the translation would be "Campo de Pau-Brasil"

Do/De: It has a very similar grammatical expression in the Portuguese language BR, and in this specific case the translation does not have much difference.

eg in this specific case:
brazilwood camp (campo DE Pau-Brasil) is a field with several trees
jnzs13's camp (campo DO JNZS13) means it's my camp

I do not know if I was very clear but its hard to explain our grammatical tricks.
Let me explain this in an easier and more objective way: "do" is a contraction of "de o". "de" means "of", while o is the masculine form of "the".
Also, "campo" means, in most situations, field. A better word would be "Acampamento de Pau-Brasil"

Well, on top of that listing you passed (give me your source, please) i cut some less relevant ones (roughly, i'm not a history graduate), corrected some names and added some cities.
This week I can search more calmly and try to improve the list, but if you're in a hurry, i think it's okay to go with yours.

Code:
Porto Seguro
São Vicente
Salvador
Rio de Janeiro
Paraíba
Recife
Campos
Cachoeira
Belem
Minas do Rio de Contas
Santo Amaro
Santa Barbara
Sabará
Minas Novas
Caruarú
Grão Mogól
João Pessoa
Feira da Santana
Rio Pardo
Fortaleza
Ponte Nova
Ouro Preto
Niterói
Maragogipe
São Francisco
Porto Alegre
Itabira
Valença
Mariana
Leopoldina
Purificação
Nazareth da Mata
Santo Antonio da Barra
Itambé
Pitanguy
Montes Claros
Juiz de Fora
Nazaré
Macaubas
São Joao del Rey
Cuiabá
Paracatú
São Luiz
Campinas
São Paulo
With all due respect, this list is very innacurate for Pedro's timeframe. The two cities on the top were only relevant during early colonization, and there is a mix of old and new city names (Paraíba and João Pessoa are the same city). The list on the spreadsheet has correct (old-style) names, but the order seems kind of weird. Some important Cities like São Paulo and Ouro Preto (it was called Vila Rica at the time by the way) are waaaaay down the list.

Also, I took a look at your github repository, and there are some hilariously incorrect things, like calling Emperor Selassie's Ethiopia a republic (by the way, Brazil was spelt with a Z in Portuguese at the time).

Lastly, I consider that we should expand this project to outside the VP sphere, and gather contributions from outside this subforum. It would certainly make things much easier. If you guys have Discord, we could create a server there too, to provide easier means of fast communication.

With all due respect, this list is very innacurate for Pedro's timeframe. The two cities on the top were only relevant during early colonization, and there is a mix of old and new city names (Paraíba and João Pessoa are the same city). The list on the spreadsheet has correct (old-style) names, but the order seems kind of weird. Some important Cities like São Paulo and Ouro Preto (it was called Vila Rica at the time by the way) are waaaaay down the list.
I will update all changes for today in few minutes as v0.11. You can base on that version.
Also, I took a look at your github repository, and there are some hilariously incorrect things, like calling Emperor Selassie's Ethiopia a republic (by the way, Brazil was spelt with a Z in Portuguese at the time).
I'm so ashamed. I just didn't read about Selasje before and didn't know that he was emperor (last; I thought he was president or smth :p). Sorry for that. Corrected.
Lastly, I consider that we should expand this project to outside the VP sphere, and gather contributions from outside this subforum. It would certainly make things much easier. If you guys have Discord, we could create a server there too, to provide easier means of fast communication.
If you are eager to help with that, please do. I will probably not have discord. Github and forum site should be enough.

Last edited:
Ok for me.

Like i say before, it would be nice to join forces. Im not an expert in history or gramathic. And i try to explain the easy way, not using things like "contract" etc... just for the helping.

@adan_eslavo i could do any research for this project but its better u validate any info whit this guy.

Last edited:
@JNZS13 You can find anything I started inside Github link in sql and odt files. Feel free to suggest anything.
@pineappledan Do I remember correctly that your wife is Hindu/Indian? Could she help us with huuuuuge list of Indian cities?

I publish few files and current v0.11.1 build for anyone who wants to run the mod for testing.

Attachments

• Alternative Component Names (v 1).zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 206
  • NewCityNames.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 190
  • AlternativeNames.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
(...)by the way, Brazil was spelt with a Z in Portuguese at the time(...)
Then correct pt/en wikipedia please:
Império do Brasil
Origem: Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre.
O Império do Brasil[3] (denominado também pela historiografia como Brasil Império, Brasil Imperial ou Brasil Monárquico)(...)
You (as a nation) changed country and city name's letters z==>s==>z and so on so many times that I cannot figure out what is correct. Even Google has problems to find version with "z".

Last edited:
Império do Brazil (Empire of Brazil) - 1824 to 1891
Estados Unidos do Brazil (United States of Brazil) - 1891 to 1969
República Federativa do Brasil (Federative Republic of Brazil) - 1967 to present (Now using "s", but in English uses "z")

@adan_eslavo this source is very rich in details if u want/have time to read.

Top Bottom