Alternative Map for DOC

Quit the dramatics, I really don't care.

At this point, I could easily move the map edge or even enlarge/shrink the map. Although it would obsolete the work I did on some of the XML-files, it is far more feasible than after the City-Name-Manager and Stability-Maps are finished.

Noooo! I've done preliminary stab and war maps already. (Ooops.) :lol: But I'm always welcome to more changes for this! :D

EDIT: I know the map isn't final yet--I really just wanted so see a working map. But then again, I'm always ready to bend. :lol:

Noooo! I've done preliminary stab and war maps already. (Ooops.) :lol: But I'm always welcome to more changes for this! :D

EDIT: I know the map isn't final yet--I really just wanted so see a working map. But then again, I'm always ready to bend. :lol:

I did not say it should be done, only that it could be fone if there were some really good reasons to do it.
By the way, I delivery shrunk the Pacific by 2 tiles from an earlier draft in order to speed up the game a little.

Brunei was a Malay sultinate.
Indeed, that was true.

What a great suggestion to come back to after the weekend! A couple of questions:
- I think Kalimantan looks a bit wide, have you tried making it one tile less wide?
- What is your concern about the wraparound map edge and New Zealand? I don't think anything bad would happen if the edge runs through it.
- Well, removing 1 tile wide will make the Borneo looks a bit squeezed and lose 1 city.
Spoiler Comparison :
Maritime SEA - Small Borneo.jpg

Maritime SEA - Real Map.jpg

Maritime SEA - 2 - Focus View.jpg

- Seeing a part of New Zealand in other side of the minimap looks weird for me. But, if that is not a concern, I love to move Australia+Eastern Indonesia 1E and move Lesser Sunda Islands 1S.

The Philippines looks good to me too. Could be this one or the one I proposed months ago. I'm iffy about connecting the Visayan islands, though...
I'm concerned about the AI if Visayan is separated from the rest of Philippines.

Oh, yeah the minimap is a valid concern.

@AessaSH I really love you current proposal, but I'd be against giving Indonesia another row, it would really squeeze Polynesia. Furthermore, Java is large enough to comfortably fit two cities, which is the best we can realistically achieve, and the rest of Indonesia (except Sumatra) might just not be historically important enough to justify further enlargement. By the way, did you add a lake in Indochina? What is it supposed to represent. I can't see any major lake in the area on the map you posted.

- Well, removing 1 tile wide will make the Borneo looks a bit squeezed and lose 1 city.
Could you take the large-scale version of Borneo, and cut out two tiles from the bottom right of the island? That'd be the grassland + coal hills to the right of the river? Removing those two would shrink the island and preserve the look of the coastline without necessarily removing a city space.

It is a vast simplification of a very complex issue, that's true. Coastline encroachment, depletion of resources, and increased likelihood of natural disaster events should come before desertification, and the latter should be a gradual effect that spreads out from existing deserts.

Climate change would work much better like the apocalypse meter in FFH, a number that is easy to make go up and hard to make go down, and the higher it is, the worse the events that can happen. I completely agree that damage to coastal cities and improvements and effects that model famines would be much better representations of global warming than desertification.

Is it possible to make coastal flat/river tiles become coast tiles in the same way the desert is coded?

I don't know if that would be good for the AI, and I don't trust the randomness of doing something like that.

Maybe a new types of tile? Acidified Ocean, Bleached coasts, Stripped Hills, and flooding grassland.

I think modelling the climate changing from 3000 BC to say 1900 AD could also be quite interesting

Possible City Placement

Why is the the world's second-largest island after Greenland underappreciated by people so much? New Guinea ends up having less tile counts than Kalimantan!

Why is the the world's second-largest island after Greenland underappreciated by people so much? New Guinea ends up having less tile counts than Kalimantan!

Racism? Eurocentricism? Actually now that I think about it, it's probably because most of the areas that we are focusing on serve as cores to civilizations, and New Guinea, sadly, has a longer Wikipedia article written in its colonial and post colonial periods than in the millennia of human presence before European contact. I'd argue that the territory should be able to hold 3-4 cities realistically. Sadly 75% of those cities would be built by the English, Dutch, and Germany.

Racism? Eurocentricism? Actually now that I think about it, it's probably because most of the areas that we are focusing on serve as cores to civilizations, and New Guinea, sadly, has a longer Wikipedia article written in its colonial and post colonial periods than in the millennia of human presence before European contact. I'd argue that the territory should be able to hold 3-4 cities realistically. Sadly 75% of those cities would be built by the English, Dutch, and Germany.

Yes, very sad... According to famous book Guns, Germs, and Steel there been only 5-6 independently developed centers for food production (agriculture), everyone else borrowed the idea. There were profound cultural changes that came with domestication of plants and animals 10,000 years ago in the Middle East, New Guinea, China, Andes Mountains, and Mexico.

Events that decreased by one the food output of a tile (whether that's a resource, water, or land tile) would be best fitting to model climate change events. It's not as drastic (at least yet) as full on desertification for areas as large in real life as tiles represent in the game. When/if we get new terrain types, then things such as going from forests = savanna would be awesome, or from grassland = prairie, but that can be later on. If we get a coral reef tile then that can also disappear as one of the effects. At the same time, though, certain areas should become more habitable. Climate change is expected to make Canada, Scandinavia, and Siberia, more fertile. So those should instead get a +1 food (especially when/if a steppe terrain is applied).

The thing though, is that in real life most rich countries can make up for lost food with imports, while poor countries can't. So in the game, since we don't have food trade (although I hope we do one day), these climate change effects could be made to happen more likely for poorer civs.

According to famous book Guns, Germs, and Steel

Are you the author's wife or something? You don't see me plugging Marx' books all the damn time even though he was right about literally everything.

Top Bottom