Anno Domini Classic

Still gathering courage to download this mod (or should I say totally novel C3C experience)....Very tempting though. Hmmmm :mischief:
Oh, go on and download it. Courage is not required ;).

@timerover51: thanks for your comments. Whilst it's a shame you weren't around for the 2-3 years Anno Domini was in development, you need to know that all this was discussed. The mod is foremost meant to be fun and it's been acknowledged that it isn't entirely historically accurate. Originally, there were going to be different BIQs, so that more civs could be represented. Within the BIQs were going to be different leaders for the civs, so whilst overall Rome might not have been stable, perhaps under Trajan "industrious" and "stable" was acceptable. Anyhow, if the mod's not for you, that's fine.

Timerover51 says: Illyria and Dacia are Roman province names, with Illyria occupying about the location of the now badly fragmented former Yugoslavia, and Dacia being that portion of Romania north of the Danube, regularly occupied by the most recent barbarian group to move east from Asia during the Roman Period.

This is not accurate. Dacia was a Roman province name because it was the former kingdom of Dacia while Illyria was the former home of the Illyrian peoples. While Illyria was unsettled and a home for pirates its people had their own language and controlled an area roughly equal to that of the later Yugoslavia. Illyrians fought against Philip of Macedon and also against Alexander and some Illyrian troops campaigned with Alexander on his conquests. Rome fought two wars to subdue Illyria (229 and 219 BCE).

Dacia was one of Rome's most formidable enemies and one of the great what-if's of history is a Dacia unconquered by Rome. The Dacians were not barbarians either, but had sophisticated knowledge of architecture and metalwork. The Dacian kingdom of the Roman era was a powerful state. While it is true that the Roman province of Dacia was overrun by various barbarian peoples, the independent kingdom of Dacia was not. In fact, it was only with great difficulty that Trajan was able to exert Roman control over the area.

Both civilizations deserve their place in Anno Domini or in any ancient mod.

Oh, go on and download it. Courage is not required ;).

@timerover51: thanks for your comments. Whilst it's a shame you weren't around for the 2-3 years Anno Domini was in development, you need to know that all this was discussed. The mod is foremost meant to be fun and it's been acknowledged that it isn't entirely historically accurate. Originally, there were going to be different BIQs, so that more civs could be represented. Within the BIQs were going to be different leaders for the civs, so whilst overall Rome might not have been stable, perhaps under Trajan "industrious" and "stable" was acceptable. Anyhow, if the mod's not for you, that's fine.

Since I did not have anything except the basic version of Civilization 3 until Civ3Complete came out for the Mac, I guess I really could not make any comments much earlier. Nor could I even attempt to try to deal with the problems of running a mod/scenario designed for Windows on a Mac, until I broke down and bought a Windows box to use for game editing. So far, I have yet to get one of these giant mods to come remotely close to running on any of my Macs. After evaluating it, I have decided that I simply to not have the time to spend trying to get them to work. After being thoroughly slapped down by the guys at WW2-Global, which goes nowhere on my Mac, and stops by Windows box dead in it tracks, and you, I will make sure that I keep any historical comments completely to myself, and refrain from ever troubling your Dieties again.

After being thoroughly slapped down by the guys at WW2-Global, which goes nowhere on my Mac, and stops by Windows box dead in it tracks, and you, I will make sure that I keep any historical comments completely to myself, and refrain from ever troubling your Dieties again.

I certainly wasn't trying to "thoroughly slap you down," nor do I consider myself a diety; just making you aware of why I made the choices you questioned. I did state that it was a shame you weren't around when the mod was in development, as I took on board a lot of comments made by forum members at that time. Please accept that if you're going to make comments about the mod, that myself, Hrafnkell and others can reply. No-one here is aiming to put you down or upset you, it's simply a response...and an undeified one at that ;).

I probably will not download the mod, mainly because of the size of the mod verses the amount of room left on my Ibook's hard drive, but also my negative experience with massive mods. However, even if I had room, there are enough odd choices for civilizations in the mod to make me pass it by.

Three Greek City-states are covered, Athens and Sparta I can see, where did Corinth come from? Thebes would have been a better choice if you had to have another Greek City-state. But no Mycenaean or Minoan civilization?

You have the Hyksos, a group of uncertain origins, who dominated Egypt for about 200 years, 1700 to 1500 BC, and then vanished from history forever. Where is the Israelites/Hebrews, one of the best if not the best known of the ancient peoples? Or the Assyrians, not covered in Conquests, nor even in TETurkhan's Test of Time.

Florence, an Italian city-state, that comes into prominence around 1200 AD, but was never known as a military power, although a great city for artists. And Seafaring as well, although it is well inland and has no port. Where are Venice or Genoa if you are going to have a late Italian Seafaring city?
And Etruria is Seafaring? That is definitely news to the historians of the Ancient World. Rome is not Warlike, but Industrious, which I will grant, but Stable? The Year of the Four Emperors comes to mind, and the lack of an established means of succession, and the number of Civil Wars throughout the First Century BC, and then the chaos of the 3rd Century AD, along with regular spats inbetween.

Carthage, but not the cities of Phoenicia of which it was a colony. Since Carthage appears in Conquests and Play the World, one would think that Phoenicia might get some consideration.

Illyria and Dacia are Roman province names, with Illyria occupying about the location of the now badly fragmented former Yugoslavia, and Dacia being that portion of Romania north of the Danube, regularly occupied by the most recent barbarian group to move east from Asia during the Roman Period.

And finally, no Moslem groups, the Moors of Spain, the Berbers of North Africa, the Mamelukes of Egypt, any of the Arab Caliphates. Not that I regard that as bad, but they do make nice targets to Crusade against.

Clearly, the mod represents an enormous amount of work, and I suspect that a lot of players will enjoy it. But between the size of the mod and the odd choices, it does not interest me that much.

Bo BO BOO . I don't write to say I will not try a mod made by a respected volenteer whos massive effort has given us lazy bums much hours of free enjoymeny. I don't do these things cuz I think its rude and pointless to my objective

You give advice on how to make it better but have made nothing for the communty to compare. Then you say it does not interest you enough to try it. I suggest the proposal you made for improvments you see as fit were a bad lil bid of business.

The end.

NOw that said I leave you with a good suggestion: Try the Balancer Reloaded for a quality 3rd Xpak formula, or Rood of the Drgaon for a small mod that will download faster

Take care n happy civving to you good sir

Timerover51: Deities? Please. And don't be so thin-skinned. We're all fallible.

I don't think objecting to your claims regarding the viability of Illyria and Dacia should be taken as a "slap". It's part of open discourse. If I make claims, I am prepared to support them if there is an objection. Sometimes, even though I'm pretty sure I'm right, I turn out to be wrong. Life goes on. Sometimes the argument does too but that also is part of discourse. Simply disagreeing is not a slap-down.

I am so totally looking forward to playing this as I've always tended to lose interest in Civ III when I reached the Industrial and Modern Ages, now you've gone and made the whole game about the awesome early ages. Woohoo!

Expect a detailed review from me tomorrow, if I don't end up too tired to go work.

Rock on R8XFT!

I am so totally looking forward to playing this as I've always tended to lose interest in Civ III when I reached the Industrial and Modern Ages, now you've gone and made the whole game about the awesome early ages. Woohoo!

Expect a detailed review from me tomorrow, if I don't end up too tired to go work.

Rock on R8XFT!

Great stuff! I hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to your review ;).

There is a small update in post #58 that will correct a couple of things; I've put something about this in post one.

@R8XFT, This is directed at other people to convince them to play it, hence why I mention things you obviously already know, but you could show this review to people as a testimonial to encourage people to play your mod.

Last night I played Anno Domini for several hours and I was very impressed I got up to near the end of the second era. One of the main things I like about this mod is that it's taken my favourite part of CIV III, the ancient and medieval age and quadrippled those 2 eras by extending them over the 4 tech trees and then doubling the amount of technologies on each. So the entire game ends with the medieval age and nearly half way through the the technologies, I have only just gone past BC into AD and it's now slowed down to 2 years a turn. I have to say Cool. The Industrial and Modern time are much less interesting on CIV III in my opinion because I enjoy learning about history and especially simulating it and the further back I go the more fascinating I find it.

The amount of unique differences between the 31 civilizations is MASSIVE. On CIV III: Conquests each civilization just had a unique unit and paired combination of 7 different traits. In Anno Domini each civilization has unique units, governments, wonders, technologies and passive bonuses in addition to a pair of the 7 traits which have also been changed a bit. Seeing as as the normal CIV III and Conquest has given me over 200 hours of gameplay, this looks like it could beat that record with the amount of sheer options and very different civilizations to choose from.

The graphics of the terrain actually look better then CIV III, but although visual the differences of many of the tiles were big they were very self explanitory and I found that everything was easy to recognise. It's very impressive how the 31 civilizations each have a cool animation just as cool as the ones in the original game, only problem is that they don't change in each era to match their technology. In addition the entire game interface looks different to suit the older timescale and the new original advisors are a refreshing change from the all too familair ones from CIV III.

So far this game is incredible and is the best mod I've ever played including Rise & Rule. If their are better mods then this then WOW!

I havn't even tried out many of the games features yet, such as going to war and the trade victory, so when I do I'll come back and and review even more of the game. So far I haven't come across any glitches or problems.

Oh, I just realized I was having so much fun I forgot to install the patch before playing it.

I have tried to install this a coulple of times (Including downloading it again)
but i keep having the same message as the game starts up.

Load error
error reading file
missing entry in"text\Pediaicons.text":ICON_BLDG_Hunting_Lodge

I have installed every thing into the ...\Conquests\Conquests folder.

Any help would be appreciated as this mod looks great.

R8XFT, wow! Allot of good effort went into this mod! I finally downloaded it & was playing a really fun game as the Romans on a huge archipelago. Thanks for putting this thing together & making it available.

I just had a crash-to-desktop error due to a missing file in 20 A.D. It's BrigantianCavalry/KnightRun.Amb. Is there a fix for this or is the mod unplayable after the Brigantians build cavalry?

R8XFT, wow! Allot of good effort went into this mod! I finally downloaded it & was playing a really fun game as the Romans on a huge archipelago. Thanks for putting this thing together & making it available.

I just had a crash-to-desktop error due to a missing file in 20 A.D. It's BrigantianCavalry/KnightRun.Amb. Is there a fix for this or is the mod unplayable after the Brigantians build cavalry?

There shouldn't be an issue as the KnightRun.Amb is in the unit folder for the knight that was in the original game. I've checked my version and everything is set up correctly.

One quick fix would be to delete the line in the Brigantian Cavalry .ini file.

I found the problem; it's looking for "KnightRun.amb" in the "Brigantian Cavalry" folder! to fix this add in "..\Knight\" so that it looks like this:
RUN=..\Knight\KnightRun.amb

I restarted with a game as Macedon on a huge pangaea. This time, I picked my opponents rather than leaving them random. I'll just play without Brigantia until the patch. Even without Brigantia, this is a great mod.

Top Bottom