Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

I'll look into changing the graphics. The reason they're in the sea and on snow is that they replace oil when the lua program places resources, hence they go in those places. Dyes have been taken from the sea before, so I was okay about that, but forgot about snow!

Glad you're enjoying it. Hope you are too, Unedjis.

No need to change that thing about the snow. Maybe there are some dyes that grow in the snow. I'm sure there are. And it makes some snow cities worthwhile. But yes, graphics change would be awesome although I wouldn't have an idea how to change them.

As for playing, unfortunately I don't have the time right now to try v11 because once I start civ, I won't stop at 3am like Lehnardtsson; more like 6am. And I'd rather use that time to marathon my final thesis that I have to finish by April 1 (well, not really but I have to). But I'm sure I'll enjoy it. ;)

Oh, before I delete my old file again, here's the bit of feedback I accumulated in my brief v10 game:

- AI still get Pottery as starting tech on Deity, which leads to some of the civs entering the next era on turn 2 thanks to a goody hut that gives them an advanced tech. This isn't a problem, though, because it seems they are getting other techs as well (6 or so in total), so by turn 100 it's pretty much evened out with every AI civ having around 72-84 points gained from techs (4 per tech), meaning that just because some civs are one era ahead, they still have to research the same basic techs first.
- Slave workers have no option to hurry production (as stated in Leugi's mod thread). Is that intentional?
- The follower belief "Festival of Neptune" is extremely strong in comparison to some other beliefs: +1 Faith from Fishing Boats AND +1 Production from EVERY water tile. Must-have for any civ that isn't totally landlocked. But it's good because that way I don't always go for 2 Faith buildings (Pagoda and Mosque or Synagogue) and take a "passive" instead. If you want to nerf it, my suggestion would be to restrict the production bonus to sea resources, that's still strong enough (because other beliefs only grant one kind of yield in one kind of terrain/feature). Also, the new religious buildings seem a little on the weak side; the standard buildings (Pagodas, Mosques) yield a total of 6, the new ones only 5 or so. Also, I'd treat Faith like Science in that 2 Faith/Science are equal to 1 Food/Production/Culture/Happiness in terms of balance.
- Lastly, a suggestion: Let Iona's druid keep the Ritual promotion after upgrading. Chances are high that your scouts will upgrade to explorers pretty fast, and in the case of druids, that means a downgrade because that debuff and added mobility is awesome. Plus, I don't think it makes Iona too strong if you manage to save some of your earliest units through the entire game to get a lategame advantage. To balance it out, Iona's UA won't have any noticeable effect in mid- to lategame (but it's awesome in early game; I got to be the first to found a pantheon even without goody hut faith).

Rob:

First I would like to thank you and all modders for your hard work and dedication to making Civ V one of the best games out there. It is much appreciated!

I do have a rather significant problem though. I can load your mod just fine. Everything seems to be perfect. But when I pick a civ and actually start the game--where the map pops up with the first settler and your first other unit--I run into a problem. I can found a city and pick my first research tech ok. But when I go to pick something for the city to build I have no options. In fact, I can't even get into that scene by clicking on the hammer icon (or whatever that is). I have to click on the city name to even get to the city screen, but nothing is available to build. Therefore, since I can't pick something, I can't advance to the next turn. The only mod I have in the mod file is yours. I also cleared my cache and the moduserinfo file.

Sorry if this has been answered before. If so please direct me to the right place!

Thanks again for all your hard work. Looks amazing if I ever actually get to play it!

Craig

Thanks for the comments and ideas. One point I'll mention first off is that it WAS intentional that the slave workers didn't hurry production because they were completing newly started wonders!!

@Staaby30 the first thing to check is that you've got the mod set up correctly. It is a standalone mod, so if you have any other mods loaded up with it, it may cause issues. It does require all the DLC and expansions (except for the map packs) so if you've not got any of those it may again cause problems.

Rob:

The only thing I can think of that would be running with it it EUI. Could this cause it? But that's not a "mod" per se is it? Doesn't it go in a different folder?

@Staaby: I had a the same (and in that case not unusual) issue with Civilization NIGHTS (or was it the Unofficial Patch+mod before they updated to BNW?) once at some point later in that game. I got no solution per se but I got around it by saving and loading; you could try if that helps. No guarantee though.

@Rob: Yes, it sounded like that might happen. He said they were worth half of a Great Engineer; what if that percentage could be reduced to maybe 5% or maybe a fixed production value around what you get for chopping down a forest? That way you'd get more than just the 4 gold for disbanding it out of a slave that just barely makes it into your territory with a red health bar. Hardly seems worth the unhappiness unless you happen to get one close to where you need a worker.

Hello. I have a couple of noob-related modding questions for the next time I play Anno Domini, and I was hoping maybe someone could point me into the direction of what I have to do. I know basic XML coding (as in, I can change values and copy-paste stuff I want from one building/unit to the other, provided they follow the same basic principles) but that's about it. So here it goes:

1) If I want to give a unit a new promotion in AD that doesn't usually fit that unit type, how would I do that? I managed to do something similar with UUs of modded civs independent from any overarching mod by referring to Vanilla promotions. Concrete example from AD: I wanted to change the UU of Nubia (Medjai Archer) so that instead of getting one additional movement point flat, that would be realized in a promotion that can be kept after upgrade (because I hate when the upgrade unit feels or is weaker than the UU because it loses its special ability). I tried the Vanilla promotions of MOBILITY (like mounted units can pick), and that of EXTRA_MOVE (not sure which UU from Vanilla gets that one) but both didn't work. I assume that is because that promotion is not supposed to be available for that unit class. (I also checked the XML file from the -unfortunately incompatible- "Promotions - Expanded Pack" to see how that mod implements extra movement for archery units through high level promotions, but I couldn't find a reference.)

2) I assume it is not possible to give a leader/civ the trait (UA) that Oasis tiles yield more? The only way to achieve this that I found was by giving it a dummy building and implementing the changes from Mada'in Saleh, which is too complicated for me to do. (So a simple "no it doesn't work by simply copying 4 lines of code into the Traits.xml" is sufficient; if really really want that I can read tutorials on how to implement dummy buildings.) Concrete example: I wanted to change Nubia's UA from +Food on unimproved flood planes to +Food/Gold/Production on Oasis tiles because it's always bothered me that you can't improve Oases in any way. What I tried was create an analogy by copying the category Building_FeatureYieldChanges (which can affect Oasis) and just changing it to Trait_FeatureYieldChanges, which of course broke everything because apparently it's not that simple. (So instead I changed the UB to improve Oasis tiles instead of giving a production bonus. Doesn't make sense why burial crypts should affect oases in any way but I couldn't do any better.)

3) Is there a way for me to specifically change the interval between World Congress sessions on a Marathon game? Because 90/60/45 turns is really long; whole civilizations usually get eradicated between sessions, which makes proposing an embargo pretty much useless if you conquer that civ before the next session. Again, if that is not a simple matter of copy/paste or changing some lines, you don't need to try and explain that to me here; I don't want to hog too much space with questions that are only marginally related to this mod. [However, I ask here because I assume I'd have to implement these changes in the AD files.]

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to help a noob out! :)

This seems somewhat off the topic of Rob's mod, but briefly:

1) Generally, units can only get promotions that are assigned to their combat class in UnitPromotions_UnitCombats. Here's an example allowing Armor and Mounted units to receive a scouting promotion:
Code:
INSERT INTO UnitPromotions_UnitCombats (PromotionType,	UnitCombatType)
SELECT 'PROMOTION_SCOUTING_2', 'UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED' UNION ALL
SELECT 'PROMOTION_SCOUTING_2', 'UNITCOMBAT_ARMOR';

2) There is an existing table to add yields to unimproved features: Trait_UnimprovedFeatureYieldChanges. Use the Japanese trait (TRAIT_FIGHT_WELL_DAMAGED) as your model.

3) This can be altered in the Defines by changing LEAGUE_SESSION_INTERVAL_BASE_TURNS. The default value is 12, and I suppose this value is augmented by game speed and era.

I knooow it's mostly OT and I feel bad about it, so if you want to delete these three posts, go ahead (also, I got the info now). Thank you for replying anyway though!

1) Ok looks like this is beyond me, like I feared, unless I get answers to a bunch of follow-up questions, which I won't post here for obvious reasons.

2) I think I tried that because that was what I thought should do it (and because Nubia's UA is in that format). Maybe it didn't change anything because I edited the XML without starting a new game and loaded the existing save intsead (works for unit and building values). I'll try again, thanks.

3) Alright, I'll see if I can mess around with that.

Again, thank you for your answer and sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Rob, the Israel civ need a re-design. David doesn't fit the uniques. I have a unit suggestion:

Navi
replaces great prophet. Unlike the great prophet which it replaces, the Navi gives a 10% combat bonus to adjacent units, and has extra vision(as opposed to the vision penalty).

thanks for AD again. :D

Thanks for the suggestion, Natan, but I'm happy with Israel as it is.

Having played the mod this morning, I've noticed a couple of things: Abu Simbel's wonder picture wasn't quite the right size, so it won't display (this was easily fixed) and also the artifacts don't show, which is more of a puzzle, as they're meant to appear with Education, but don't. I'll need to investigate more with that one! I had noticed earlier that the health aspect of Elam's trait didn't work (though that has now been corrected). I have updated the mod (for version 12) with the updated version of Health and Plague, so it's nice to see a plague decision in full effect!

I'm toying with the idea of making Armenia's trait etc just as JFD intended and giving a militaristic UA to Brigantia...we'll have to see on that one. As well as updating the two civs, it "frees up" a Firaxis UA that I could use for a new civ in each case, so watch this space!

Also looking out for some new ancient civs coming out soon (including the Greek split from MoreCivs, potentially an Egypt split from JFD and an ancient British civ from Viregel), so this may give rise to more within Anno Domini.

Finally, I'm not sure whether I'm going to do this, but here goes....there's some columns in the tech tree that have 7 or 8 techs in, all with lots of items available per tech. I might add a couple of extra techs (Tribal council comes to mind) and stretch the tech tree a couple of columns, so there's a full Anno Domini era and at least the start of the dark ages. Any thoughts?

i think Anno domini has too many techs. I think that instead you could... remove some items, maybe(make axeman and short swordsman one unit, remove some wonders, etc.).
in my opinion, there are some early game wonders that you could remove(and perhaps add some late game wonders). but maybe stretching the tech tree could be a good idea.

its your mod, anyway. you could always try new things.

Remove stuff?!!? Never. I appreciate your opinion, but I'm not planning to reduce anything in the mod. However, what might happen once the mod is complete is that there are scenarios based on the mod, which only use part of the tech tree.

What you mean by "complete"?
(Well, stretching the tech tree is a good idea then.)
(With scenarios, you could as well replace the game itself. ;))

Top Bottom