Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

I have not played the new BNW version until last night. Downloaded and started a Greece Ancient world with scenario option turned on.

On first loading I got an error "unable to load texture [romanbritishalphaatlas.dds]" I clicked okay about 40 times (finally was just holding down the enter key) it cleared enough that it loaded.

Worked fine until I loaded a save game this morning and error was back on loading.

Then I met a new leader and the error returned.

Ever since the leader I get this error every time I click on anything like I try to move a nit, or oprn a city, next turn (which give it to me 40+ times) So far I have been hitting enter until it clears and continuing. Technically that is still working.

I closed Civ and reopened and the error storm is unchanged.

I assume I just have a file that isn't playing nice. Has anyone else played this same map/scenario without getting the error?

I should really have deleted the maps - they were from the previous version when there were other civilizations still in the mod (they will return). You need to play it as an "epic game" as it's a full conversion, with no other mods loaded other than Anno Domini and any Anno Domini civ packs you wish to enable.

ahh so the map is what did it. okay look forward to that coming back looks neat. wil play with out

Regarding the game length: perhaps my question wasn't clear enough, I meant the number of turns defined in the GameSpeed_Turns table - for Marathon it's 3240 turns total, so I assume that researching all techs should take an amount of turns close to that number (I usually play only with the "time" victory condition checked, as I don't like to "rush to victory"). From my experiences so far, it seems that the tech advancement is somewhat too fast to achieve that, and I already made it slower in my modmod.

Regarding the game length: perhaps my question wasn't clear enough, I meant the number of turns defined in the GameSpeed_Turns table - for Marathon it's 3240 turns total, so I assume that researching all techs should take an amount of turns close to that number (I usually play only with the "time" victory condition checked, as I don't like to "rush to victory"). From my experiences so far, it seems that the tech advancement is somewhat too fast to achieve that, and I already made it slower in my modmod.

... maybe I wasn't as clear either. ;) What I meant to say was that you'll never ever need those 3000 turns to finish the tech tree. Unless you have like only one city and keep that one below size 20 with no research buildings. And play on Chieftain so the AI takes forever to research things as well. I think restricting a Marathon game to about 1600-1800 turns would leave everyone enough time to research the full tech tree and then spend about 1/4 of the total number of turns with techs maxed out and (consequently) evenly matched civs, scientifically-speaking.

Curiously enough, I always un-tick the time victory because I usually get impatient after turn 900 anyway, mostly because (due to my IGE-intensive playstyle) the game is decided by that time anyway. With score, I always feel like the one who wins the wonder race is going to win the game. In AD, over 2000 points are allocated through wonders, and typically those are divided up among the 3-4 most advanced civs, leaving the rest of the AI unable to catch up score-wise (unless of course they manage to capture wonder cities, which isn't exactly common).

...Unless you have like only one city and keep that one below size 20 with no research buildings.

I hadn't made it through the "Anno Extentionis" era and already had a size 40 city, which I have never managed to achieve in the base game. My one city had a population of over 24 million -- bigger than contemporary Shanghai -- just as I finished researching Mathematics. I had no food routes into the city. Not sure if that's as intended or just a result of my focus on health yield.

Also, although the minor civs always build settlers very early on, they rarely send them out to settle until later in the game (if ever).

@Unedjis: I like to experience all the game content, including things from later eras, in a meaningful way. The game shouldn't be decided too early, and there should be many AI civs that play an important role in later stages of the game, not only 1-2 as it usually happens. That's why many of the changes in my modmod (especially the happiness system, where unhappiness from number of cities is equal to number of cities squared) are aimed at increasing the balance between civs during the game and preventing snowballing.

@FramedArchitect: I noticed the large amounts of food available in this mod too. Because of that, I changed the food consumption per population from 2 to 3 in my modmod. This should prevent too big cities early in the game, and also should slow down the scientific advancement somewhat.

@Rob: A minor bug I experienced lately: I got the "Lapis Lazuli imported" event, but didn't get the resource (similar events with other resources worked for me).

Edit: Also, is there a reason to build Advanced Irrigation on a Marsh? You get the same yields as from a Farm with Marsh cleared (including increase from tech, which comes quite early in the game), but -1 to health. Perhaps the yields from Advanced Irrigation should be increased with a tech as well.

Thanks again, PawelS. The lapis lazuli event was a doddle to fix - I'd forgotten to update the resource tag when I sorted out my resources last time, so it was giving you two of a resource that no longer existed, hence nothing.

In terms of the advanced irrigation, it's worth thinking about what it should do. Perhaps it should only be available to grassland and normal irrigation be unavailable to grassland? It was something plonked in the game at the beginning of its development that hasn't changed and should now be considered. Any thoughts?

...that version is likely not going to be the most recent one for very long...
You seem to be setting me up for uploading v17 ;) :D. To be honest, I've managed to fix a lot of the issues that PawelS advised; there's only the trade screen to go. There's now the Nri, Slavs, Sumer, Hittites and Hyksos in the game, plus maybe I could add a couple of others. Don't quote me, but v17 should be around by next weekend.

Edit: Also, is there a reason to build Advanced Irrigation on a Marsh? You get the same yields as from a Farm with Marsh cleared (including increase from tech, which comes quite early in the game), but -1 to health. Perhaps the yields from Advanced Irrigation should be increased with a tech as well.

I think they are increased (at least in v15)? Initially they're the same as farms but later I *think* they also get +Gold or something. EDIT: Scratch that, just tested it with IGE. If I did get +Gold from Advanced Irrigation last game, that must have been because of some local building/wonder/trait, or maybe my imagination. Probably my imagination. I suppose then that the only advantage of AdvIrr on Marsh is that you don't have to clear it first, at the cost of 1 Health. But on Flood Plains it always remains one better than Farms (5 vs. 4 without any buildings).

@Rob: Well, it's just that usually with these kinds of releases and the subsequent flood of bug reports (that is inevitable after major changes such as these), a kind of hotfix version is released soon after. :) In this respect, you're no different than official video game developers. :cool:

I've been grateful for the feedback so far....but is anyone actually enjoying the release ;)? Has the addition of JFD & Pouakai's mercenaries been a hit? Do the extra decisions per civ add a little flavour? What about the changes to some of the civs - and the introduction of the new ones (especially with us getting a swathe of Nile civilizations just before v16 was released)?

Hurray! Version 16 works like a charm for me! No 'hanging' loading screens or anything!

While I havent' had the chance to play Anno Domini for an extended period yet, I'm very much enjoying the ride so far. :)

I'm not having that problem with IGE (at least in v15; didn't get around to testing v16 yet). In fact, it's essential for me so I can test any changes I make to the mod in the middle of a game (like change certain values or yields, or fix the occasional oversight). Would be awful if it didn't play along nicely anymore.

v15? What the...

My version of IGE says that it's v39.

Well, even if IGE doesn't play nicely with Anno Domini anymore, it's not a big deal if you already know the rules: the only thing IGE seemed to mess up were some of the wikipedia entries.

I've been grateful for the feedback so far....but is anyone actually enjoying the release ? Has the addition of JFD & Pouakai's mercenaries been a hit? Do the extra decisions per civ add a little flavour? What about the changes to some of the civs - and the introduction of the new ones (especially with us getting a swathe of Nile civilizations just before v16 was released)?
I'm still getting used to (and learning) the BNW changes, so I can't really say if I like or dislike the mod overall.

However, there are two subcomponents I would like to mention:

1) Slave workers - These are a brilliant response to worker stealing. It leaves the tactic in the game, but does a great job of slightly nerfing the workers' utility by putting a time limit on how long they'll be alive. Pretty awesome.

2) Pantheon selection - The vast majority of pantheons seem oddly useless, since they rely on resources that usually aren't revealed, and won't be revealed for a while. To be fair, you've added a bunch of new pantheons, many of which *are* immediately useful. But it seems kinda pointless to have those late-appearing resource dependent pantheons.

Hmmm.... it looks like I have a bug to report. When playing my latest Anno Domini game, Civ 5 keeps crashing (runtime error) at the same point. (Turn 46) This is approximately the same place where my last game started to crash as well. Is there a known workaround to this issue?

Mine doesn't crash and no-one else has reported it. Are you running the mod as a standalone mod?

Well, I've been loading all the Anno-Domini mods together. (i.e. the base mod + all the additional civ mods that came packaged with Anno Domini) But I'm not loading any additional mods beyond those.

v15? What the...

My version of IGE says that it's v39.

I meant the Anno Domini version number. ;) I'm also running the most recent version of IGE, whichever that is. (But I believe it hasn't been updated for a long time anyway. Feels like since before BNW came out because it doesn't incorporate the new BNW features like trade routes.)

Plumfairy, it's difficult to know what's happening as it's only happening for you and isn't a recognised bug that the mod itself is causing. The mods within the game, e.g. mercenaries, health and plague, events and decisions, all have a version that's Anno Domini specific built into the mod, so if you have one of the regular versions of the mods active, it could cause the crash. Other things to consider is if you have all the DLC (other than maps)or if you're running one of the AD maps (as some civs have been removed).

Great mod Rob! I've been working on one with a similar plan so it's great to have something like this to play on while i work.
Also i love the Civs you added (especially the Parisi which are local to me!). Are they available to download seperately to play on vanilla/with other mods? I've seperated the Parisi out so it works as an individual mod for my own use and seems to be running fine.

Obviously there's a few bugs still with AD, can't remember 'em all this morning. But the one that sticks out in my mind is trade routes. Built a caravan, had available routes to a City State on the "available routes" screen (the CS was about 6 hexes away from my nearest). Nothing appeared on the bit to click on which route to choose though (yep i clicked the + and - a few times to be sure, and there weren't any routes to my own cities either, although that was probably down to the lack of tech/buildings in my cities). No idea why (but it wouldn't suprise me if i've missed something stupidly obvious).

Keep up the good work!

Version 17 has been completed and is currently uploading; I'll update the first post with the link as soon as it's available. Here's a look at what's coming:

New + returning civilizations
  • Aksum
  • Champa
  • Hittites
  • Hyksos
  • Massylii
  • Nok
  • Nri
  • Punt
  • Slavs
  • Sumer

New additions
  • FramedArchitect's buildings tooltips
  • New promotions taken from Salamandre's pack
  • 2 new generic events
  • 2 new generic decisions

Updates and corrections
  • Ambush promotions removed
  • Atenism - only one version of this now
  • Belgae kiln now requires clay
  • Diplomatic overview trade screen corrected
  • Hapshetsut's trade route lua corrected
  • Heqetai text added
  • Icon issues resolved
  • Lapis lazuli now given with the lapis lazuli event
  • Library removed from Building_YieldChangesPerPop
  • MakuriaCode.lua fixed
  • Plague text issues corrected
  • Promotions text issues corrected
  • Sparta trait changed to +15% against ranged attacks and culture when enemy killed
  • Stonemason now yields 2 stone as well as 2 limestone
  • Stoneworks now yields 3 stones and requires a hill, not stone
  • Thargelia belief corrected
  • Wheat - only one instance in the civilopedia (JFD_Wheat is hidden)

Top Bottom