Announcing Civilization Network for Facebook!

It won't be for me. Personally it sounds like some big city project, and that may just be something I do not care about anymore. If no computer games, then there are other things to do. And lately, there ain't much to some computer games anymore, and people stating the game for $60 should not be bought and playing for 4 hours, and that is a game everyone wanted lately, until they bought it and found out, the multi-player sucks, the game being playing singlely sucks, and then they shelled out $60 for it, and just state it sucks. By the way, it is MWII.

And with more people having to retire early and the state of China owning this USA, then let me tell you - they (Congress) all want us to do their bidding but can frack off.

We are Inmates on this Planet and dreaming may be great, but Get Real.
You are not going anywhere anytime soon, and Civilizations come and go replaced by something that is not dumbed-down crapola.
Let's all be dumb now, since it is too hard for humans to think anymore, and well your next leader may be the Demonic Plague taking over this Planet like it has been for many a year now.

There are others that agree with that assessment also.
Too many others, although the movie 2012 is for someone else to be amused with.

Civilization V please.
:crazyeye:

Define legitimate. There wasn't much difference between Vista and 7, so maybe there wasn't much need to create a new Civ. Sure, we may be in a limbo state because there isn't a new Civ5 yet, but what is the average gap between games?

In the past, there was an interval of 4 to 5 years between releases. Not that it must always be this way, but it's time to really think about some new direction where Civ can go as a single player game. Some phoney-balony facebook thing is a waste of resources that can only delay the process.

In the past, there was an interval of 4 to 5 years between releases. Not that it must always be this way, but it's time to really think about some new direction where Civ can go as a single player game. Some phoney-balony facebook thing is a waste of resources that can only delay the process.

"Phoney-balony" You mean, "phony-bologna" right? : mischief: Anyway, how is it so phony? That would imply someone on CFC setting it up or some random guy posing as Sid. Since it's a legitimate Firaxis project, it's not at all phony. If it's been about five years since the last Civ release, then maybe Firaxis is waiting for the period after Thanksgiving, the time of year known as the Holiday season, because of the high concentration of religious gift-giving holidays. (i.e. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa) Firaxis may be waiting for December for a surprise release. It would be a good marketing technique. They also could be waiting for Easter, because although it's more of a candy holiday, many people give gifts, too.

"Phoney-balony" You mean, "[I[phony-bologna" right? : mischief: Anyway, how is it so phony? That would imply someone on CFC setting it up or some random guy posing as Sid. Since it's a legitimate Firaxis project, it's not at all phony. If it's been about five years since the last Civ release, then maybe Firaxis is waiting for the period after Thanksgiving, the time of year known as the Holiday season, because of the high concentration of religious gift-giving holidays. (i.e. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa) Firaxis may be waiting for December for a surprise release. It would be a good marketing technique. They also could be waiting for Easter, because although it's more of a candy holiday, many people give gifts, too.

Hey, if we get an announcement, I'll be happy.

Screw this, and screw facebook go myspace.
lets all just stick to civ3 (the best civ game in the series yet) and play hotseat if you want to play multiplayer.
I mean seriously? a facebook based civ game wtf!
the ipod version of civ rev sucked bad enough and now he wants to ruin his rep even more by doing this. c'mon sid pick up the pace!

peace out
-kylecolosimo

MySpace has a bad rep in my opinion. I never liked it. CivIII was okay, and I still have my disk, but I uninstalled it in favor of CivIV and because I saw how mod-able CivIV is and how many more things there are here on CFC for it.

Yeah, I don't think that post regards the Facebook site. The Facebook site is still alive and growing, definitely not a failed project. They just released new fan pictures from Civ 3 and 4 today and still have been asking for advice on the next game (either Network or Civ5). I don't think it's dead, I think a different proposal got cancelled.

Sounds like an interesting take on the series and I will definitely try it - as long as they'll still be working on Civ 5.

I think this is a great idea. facebook is a wonderful testground for an internet-based multiplayer game. to all you negative nancys, stop getting off on beating the ai

and sid, dont be so formal. we all love your work :)
Sid Meier, creator of Civilization

I see many people think that if Civ goes social it will suck. A game sucks because of its gameplay not because it's on FB or MMO. Like it or not, online gaming is the future and even if I'm waiting for Civ 5 (like everybody here) I don't think we should dismiss Civ Network. In fact, I can't wait to compete against thousands of other players, it will be very hard to accuse the AI of cheating :)

I think lots of us would rather a Civ5 on the PC, but I know that many people were dismissive of CivRev, and now it's got its own podcast. We may see the same thing with CivNet. However, I think that people just say it sucks because they were hoping that Civ5 would come out.

I think that many here are mistaking what CivNet might become... has anyone even seen gameplay screenshots? I'm sort of expecting a social application facebook style, with a civilization theme, not an actual online game of civilization with AI's and moving units around.

I think that many here are mistaking what CivNet might become... has anyone even seen gameplay screenshots? I'm sort of expecting a social application facebook style, with a civilization theme, not an actual online game of civilization with AI's and moving units around.

That's a point, noone knows for sure what it will be. Right now I have no expectations, so anything will interest me, but I'm not going to have an opinon about it until it decides to come.

Just want to say that I support the idea.

Those of you who are whining for your "Civ5", you should probably put your hopes away. Look at it from a logical perspective: Exactly what new things have been brought to the computing world that could make Civ5 significantly different from Civ4? Other than the Internet, can you think of anything? Just about nothing right? So in what right mind, would Firaxis release a Civ5 now?

And it is this reason, that backs up WHY Sid has chosen a Facebook version of Civilization - the Internet is the only thing that has significantly changed, and changed in such a good way, that Civilization could reap huge benefits from.

For the next true Civilization game, please wait another 5 years.

Just want to say that I support the idea.

Those of you who are whining for your "Civ5", you should probably put your hopes away. Look at it from a logical perspective: Exactly what new things have been brought to the computing world that could make Civ5 significantly different from Civ4? Other than the Internet, can you think of anything? Just about nothing right? So in what right mind, would Firaxis release a Civ5 now?

And it is this reason, that backs up WHY Sid has chosen a Facebook version of Civilization - the Internet is the only thing that has significantly changed, and changed in such a good way, that Civilization could reap huge benefits from.

For the next true Civilization game, please wait another 5 years.

Posts like this are exactly why this facebook game will fail. No one is whining...well except maybe you are in your post. Put our hopes away? Nothing left to add to Civ? Lets talk about AI. Lets talk about realistic diplomatic engagements. An advanced espionage system. Civil wars, rebels, terrorism...the list goes on and on. With every Civ game that has come out (excluding revolution) there has been a major advancement in the way we play civilization. Heck even colonialism is something that has only been touched upon (even with the latest release.) But I thought this thread was about facebook Civ so seriously, focus on that.

I dislike facebook. I think it's a huge waste of time...something I've learned from twitter. If you like it, good for you. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I like Pizza, you like Fish fillet. I don't like onions, you don't like carrots. Whatever. Besides the fact that I don't plan on opening a facebook account even for this game, I can't help but point out the fact that there arent really any successful games on facebook. How will CivNet be different? Perhaps there isn't enough info to make any real decision on this, but I also can't see how it could be any kind of advancement seeing as it will be a web based game. And web based editions of games usually take the direction backwards more than forwards. That being said, why not just stick to Civ 4/Rev? Wait till another release? I honestly can't see anyone playing CivNet 4-5 hours a day like we do with Civ 1, 2, 3, and 4. And I don't believe that Firaxis (or whoever owns Civ) is going to make more money on ads (assuming thats the business model for the game) than they would selling actual copies of a real Civ game.

But I believe Sid is smarter than that. I'm sure he does have another sequel planned and these are just more experiments as he did with Rev, Col, and now Net. All the power and success to him.

Top Bottom