Announcing Civilization Network for Facebook!

Don't you think that such a long gap between titles of your main game is inadvisable though? It now looks as though at the very least, there will be a 6 year gap between CivIV and CivV, if its ever made. It's too long, people will move on.

Well, how long was the gap between Civ III and Civ IV? I think it's predictable that the gap will be at least that long.

Well, I think this facebook thing is creative. But its not for me. I will not be spending money on this version of Civ (which is sort of historic for me). There is no way that I could spend hours on end with lots of people (which any serious version of Civilization would require). Just planning this is near to impossible.

I'll just stay happy with Civ 4 for a while. And keep hoping that the theory about this being some sort of marketing gig prior to the release of 5, is anywhere near accurate. I think this is stupid and just a test of my patience. But what the hell, if Firaxis wants to waste money...

Well, how long was the gap between Civ III and Civ IV? I think it's predictable that the gap will be at least that long.

3 1/2 years, IIRC. It's funny, just imagine the reaction here if Sid had announced CivV for the PC. we would likely have had 30 pages of "Brilliant!" already. so why would you not do it?

True. How long has it been since Civ IV was released?

oh, not good. Well, maybe this is a crescendo to a game that's got even more stuff added since Civ IV!

5 years +

Actually it was published 4 years ago this coming Sunday, but you're close.

I have no use for Facebook and won't go there to play CIV. But I can't say that Sid won't come away from this looking like a genious once again. I only play CIVIV casually and feel like I will still enjoy it a couple years from now, but eventually, like every other good thing, CIV solo play will come to an end.

This is :):):):):):):):) and you know it. Much like the Maxis disasters of Spore and SimCity Societies, we're seeing the formula being dumbed down for broader, less intelligent, less discerning audiences. It's untenable to believe that one can create compelling and balanced strategic gameplay around a model that is equal parts persistent-world grinding and tell-your-friends pyramid scheme. You might as well ask for a Settlers of Catan MMORPG. It just doesn't bode well at all for the real fanbase when the devs are trying to court the casual dollars of your mother and the local Tri-Delta chapter.

Actually it was published 4 years ago this coming Sunday, but you're close.

This.

Every version of Civ has been near 5 years apart.

Civilization - 1991
Civilization II - 1996
Civilization III - 2001
Civilization IV - 2005 (October 25th)

CivIV, in my estimation, was kind of pushed out early because of the "meh" reaction to CivIII. Since CivIV was so well received, and continues to be such a huge hit, it may be a little longer for Civ5*. Maybe 6 years instead of the usual 5. Either way, it's early to be announcing a sequel. A release October/November 2010 would be perfectly normal, and even then I can imagine them pushing that out a bit.

I also applaud the developers for not pulling a Square-Enix and announcing a game years before it is released, with horrible countdown clocks to teaser trailers, and just stringing us along. If Civ5 comes out withing months of it being announced, I would be so much happier than if I've known for years and been frustrated the whole time.

*I personally switch Civ5 to Arabic numerals because CivV looks silly.

I'm not very excited about this to be honest. One thing I learned from World of Warcraft is that playing games with the general public can ruin even the best content. It's like hanging out at the mall with the junior high kids.

Facebook? Give me a break. That's pathetic. I'd love a *real* Civ V, but if this how they are going to do things (in addition to their recent habit of hiring callow wannabes from the fansites as game designers and quality testers), then this game is finished.

This is a scandale. I've lost my faith in Firaxis now. My hope is that companies like Stardock will take up the thread, like they have done with the old game Master of Magic, renewed with their game Elemental; War of Magic. I hope Stardock can make a classic Civilization game too one day, and they will make a very good one as well.

You do realize it's free, right?

Yes, I do realise that playing via Facebook is free (I can read you know - in three languages). But I doubt that the software of the game (dvd or download) will be free of charge.

Still money is not my problem. It is co-ordinating such a game which would last hours on end (unless is even more tuned-down than CivRev and Facebook Civ would be playable in say 30 mins).

I am not shocked that the majority of this community reacted with gripes, complaints and outright derision.

You act as if Sid/Firaxis 'owes' you Civ V. He and they have the right to pursue the business models and projects that interest them.

It's fine to be disappointed. A scandal? That's just silly.

Great idea, but, when I join facebook, you can officially call me crazy. (No offense Sid)

Civ...V...not...coming...out...soon...

NOOOOOOO

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Top Bottom