1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anonymous goes on a rampage in response to Megaupload being shutdown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gamemaster77, Jan 19, 2012.

1. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

I don't like anonymous, I've never liked anonymous, and that was a stupid move as well. All it says to them is that the bill should be more urgently passed.

2. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Is this your honest reaction to the government enforcing thought control for private interest?

How can anyone take you seriously when you say things like this?

3. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

What about all the other people using megaupload for legitimate purposes? What about the US government's censorship of Wikileaks?

Yeah, it's all violation of free speech. Totally ineffective, to boot.

Hardly. If you can destroy one form of data (digital data on the internet), why can't you destroy data printed on paper? There is no difference, even if you prefer to plug your ears.

4. wilycoyote

wilycoyote King

After thinking about it, I am very against them. How is acting like a child, hiding in the anonymity of the internet honorable? They are just trolls.

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Here's the "Gotcha!" response graphic:

(It needed the symbol of the FBI instead of the Republican elephant, but my photoshopping skills weren't up to it tonight.)

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

So by this logic Obama would be perfectly justified in shutting down Fox News if he didn't like something said on there. That wouldn't be protected by free speech. Because, hey, the newsreaders are still able to talk to the cameras, it just won't be transmitted. They're still welcome to speak their mind, but they aren't provided with a platform to do it. Similarly, it'd be totally cool to shut down an opposition newspaper, right? Because again, it's just dealing with the platform, not the actually ability of journalists to put pen to paper.

7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I would be fascinated to know, in light of the first quoted post, what you actually imagine an "abuse" to be. There doesn't seem to be any degree of censorship that you actually consider unacceptable.

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Actually, it serves to undermine the current legal narrative against Megaupload.

The current understanding that the RIAA et al. is pushing is that pirating exists through large, powerful websites like Megaupload, with the intent to profit from the practice, and therefor the power to shut down websites will be effective in combating piracy.

If they attention turns to shadowy, not-for-profit, decentralized networks of 20 something internet users, then the overreaching powers of the government no longer seem reasonable.

Of course, the point where we've reached where vandalism is necessary to indirectly raise attention to the way things exist in reality shows that the government is totally unqualified to deal with this issue.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

This has had no influence on SOPA/PIPA being put on hold and shows Anonymous is a bunch of narcissistic vandals. I hope they get arrested. I did more good writing to my congressman about SOPA than Anonymous did about the topic.

If the website broke the law while being sited on American soil, then good for them getting arrested. Anonymous vandalizing the USA in response shows they have no respect for national sovereignty, nor law, nor democracy. Again a bunch of narcissistic vandals.

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Yeah, they're a cool bunch.

11. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Democracy in the US is largely a farce on the national scale, anyway, so that's not really signifying anything.

12. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

The best I could do with only a few minutes while at work.

13. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Yes, freedom of speech is a negative right (meaning that no-one is obliged to provide a medium for you). What you, my friend, fail to understand is that very same negative right means that the government is not allowed to stop you from using that right (for example, by shutting down your medium such as a website). If the government was allowed to do that, it would be censorship (which is the opposite of free speech)

14. GoodGame

Ok thanks cardgame, that was helpful.

15. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I guess now we're going to have a pirate war. Instead of wooden frigates firing broadsides, we're going to have pirates and government fighting on the infinite Sea of Internet!

16. GoodGame

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I don't really think you're a real media pirate unless you crash into some big chain store with a real pirate ship and loot out all the DVDs and CDs and games.

18. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

I would pay good money to go and see something like that happening! :lol:

19. MjM

MjM Deity

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That's exactly what I was looking for! :goodjob: