1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aristos, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I typically play on Marathon/prince.

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I have only played one game since the antarctic patch. Quick speed, king. I felt I was being offered a very large amount of gold for niter and iron at various points in the game. I don't have specific numbers but it seemed pretty silly.

3. Infixo

Infixo Deity

There was a new field added in OpTeamRequirements, AiTypeDependence. As for now City Attack Force needs UNITTYPE_SIEGE.
    It’s hard to say how exactly this field works. They added this in a line with UnitType_Siege_Support.
    But this is cerainly responsible for sudden interest of the AI in catapults.

4. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

AI always spammed catapults for me. They just actually attack with them now...

5. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I saw some rather amusing behavior last night while playing. I had a number of disasters and I was finally able to propose an aid request for myself. It passed!

Well, the new AI that's more competitive on aid requests was very competitive this time. Every three turns, without fail, I'd get an offer for 10GPT + X Gold from every AI. Or, if they didn't have that much, then I'd get an offer for whatever they did have. By the end of the aid request, I was getting a stupid amount of gold every turn. Surely, that's not intended.

It seems like the economy and the value of gold generally isn't working right. I don't think it's dependent on speed or difficulty, though. I was playing Standard/Immortal this time.

6. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think the Professional Army nerf is too much. They not only made 1 card into 2, but cut the effectiveness by 50%

I was having trouble upgrading even with 2 ridiculous 60 GPT trade bug deals with the AI.

Edit: It's so ineffective you have to run the policies for multiple turns, perhaps many multiple turns, to the point where it's not even worth playing them.

+1 to the peacemongers. There, I feel better now having said my peace :).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  7. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

The cards are -50%, just like they were before. The only change is that one card became two until later in the game.

BarbarianHunter likes this.
  8. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

How funny. I was playing Shaka, had only played the -50% resource card, and apparently got confused. It just seemed like an outrageous sum because of all the early corps.
    Spoiler 640 Gold & 20 Iron Chariot Upgrade :
    Shaka.png

Thanks for the clarification!

9. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

But they made upgrading units more expensive, which is probably what he meant.

10. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

That's right! A heavy chariot corps should cost 360g to upgrade without a policy card. Now it's 640g. That's like a 78% increase. So I'm back to being dissatisfied with the peacemonger lobby.

11. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

It can only be judged comparing what they are willing to give with what they ask for. My experience is that they also ask a lot for strats or even luxes given certain situation (lack of them), so it is at least consistent. Hard to say it is silly when it is consistent; we just got used to a game where the strategic resources where selling at banana prices in the middle of Ecuador (no pun intended). :crazyeye:

Now we have more realistic pricing, and everyone whines. I fear we will go back to banana prices for "strategic" resources, because Firaxis is not known for having a "counter-customer" spine.

Same applies for the new, higher prices for upgrading units. They took a page (another one) from Vox Populi there, in which the design purpose of super high upgrade prices is specifically to encourage the player to only consider the upgrade of those highly promoted units, and not the building of an ancient army that you then only carry on upgrading until the end of times (game), which is plain silly.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  12. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

There's another thing that strikes me as silly. That's not being able to afford to upgrade units prior to declaring war. Ie. the only realistic way to upgrade a large army is to DOW, send the inferior units to war, pillage a few mines and then upgrade to super units.

Edit: This change is a "Monty Hall" from D&D.
    http://arcana.wikidot.com/monty-haul
    Spoiler Monty :
    Untitled.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  13. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Sorry, but no. Consistent doesn’t mean it's not silly. And it's an even bigger advantage to the human Player against the AI since humans tend to pass on stupid trade offers (at least in game life) whereas AI happily pays buckets of gold for 1 lux or open borders. It is a gamebreaker and a big one!

I'm fine with the higher upgrade prices though. If AI needs to get additional help here (hidden rebates for upgrades) in order to keep them "competitive" :rolleyes: remains to be seen...

acluewithout likes this.
  14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

I said it's harder to qualify as silly when it is consistent. The higher prices are not silly per se. What you are saying is that they become an exploit; ask yourself when they become so. Why does the human player reject a trade for a strat that he does not have and needs just because "it is silly high"? I bet it's because he knows he can go and get it easily from the AI. That has nothing to do with higher prices for the strat, but with a very poor military AI that can easily be abused.

So far, I have not seen absurd amounts of gold in exchange for luxes... higher, yes, but to me so far they seem very situational (as it should be.. silly in this case is to have each lux be worth 4 gpt period, whatever the circumstance, as it was before and is in vanilla civ 5). I wonder why some people are seeing absurd numbers and others are not...

With that said, I am not discarding the possibility of a huge bug (it's FXS after all), but I am not seeing the extremes that others report. that's all.

steveg700 and KrikkitTwo like this.
  15. naixiew

naixiew Chieftain

My civ's CO2 levels will drop to negative values once I've started spamming Carbon Recapture in all cities. That brings the global CO2 emissions to a negative value (my civ -> -2000, AI 1->200, AI 2-> 300, AI 3-> 300). Basically stopping polar ice cap from melting at all. Is that part of the new climate mechanics?

16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Yes, I've gotten global co2 emissions negative. I was at stage 2 when I did it.

17. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

Pity we need industrial zones for carbon capture...

18. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

This so much. More than 20 years have passed and the system is great. Well, a lot of things about AC are still great.

19. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Call it what you want. Introducing such an exploit via patch makes as much sense as having this thing get passed QA.

And it's not that strat. resources is the only example. How about the money-throwing for open borders or diplo favor? That's huge amounts of gpt for 30diplo in the ancient era. :crazyeye:

I can understand if AI is willing to pay high amounts for a strat.resource if they are at war and in desperate need of new units or upgrades to survive. But that's not how this bug/exploit seems to be working, right? They just throw their money around.

I can work around other exploits if I want to; like chop overflow, buying out GW, or use rams all the time and nothin' else. If I want to I can ignore these. Not with this one, since it's the bases of interacting with the AI. If I only see Sillyness on the tradescreen and this sillyness largely is in favor of me, the human player, it just doesn't work. And that's not whining as you stated in your first post, it's pointing to a glaring problem within the game.

Anyway, the "value" of a trade isn't calculated thoughtfully by the AI and that is a major flaw. It was never great in Civ VI but now it's just broken.

20. MonkeyPaw

MonkeyPaw Chieftain

We can straight up trade 10 gpt for 30 gpt (or any value around the 1:3 ratio), it's obviously a bug

679x, Chocolate Pi and KrikkitTwo like this.