1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Antarctic Late Summer Patch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aristos, Apr 2, 2019.

1. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I was thinking more along the lines of early game upgrading and specifically, having to send weak heavy chariots and horses into tight spots to raise gold for knight upgrades. The same can be said of upgrading to tanks as you mentioned.

It seems circular to me as well. I was, and still am, decrying the absurdity of having to war with upgradable units (and risk them being destroyed) in order to get the gold for upgrading. I played one test game with Shaka and was very short funding, and another with Pericles in which I had no trouble what-so-ever. Perhaps I was overreacting based on upgrading early Zulu heavy chariot corps to knight corps.

2. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

You certainly don't have to war for gold to get knights. You could build more of a commercial empire to raise funds, or an industrial empire and build your units, etc. Warring for fold is just one, often effective and valuable, strategy.

3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I'm late to the party, but this update sounds fantastic. Not just for the particular changes, but because it definitely shows the devs are paying attention.

They came up with some pretty nifty solutions to some well-known issues, like buffing Norway while doing away with the excess of pillaging bonuses. The latter shows a real willingness to course-correct.

Canada gets a production bonus from mines. That should curtail some whinging. Personally, I would like to see a production bonus of lumber mills. Lumberjacks are thematic, eh?

Lot of UI's got buffed in terms of direct yields. I wish they did something more interesting than just issue yields though. Really, really wish that Great Wall tiles were impassable terrain for barbarians. It would be a unique but hardly broken feature and would facilitate the design intent of them being early-game defense, not just late-game tourism/gold generation. Providing a fort's defensive bonus doesn't accomplish that, because in the early game defensive units are at a premium, and Qin is supposed to be cranking out builders and using their charges to quick-build wonders while his bonus is still relevant. Using builders to build forts and then having to build units to man them is bad synergy. Maybe also have walls culture bomb so players can more feasibly build consecutive walls in early eras.

Saw a bunch of stuff about aircraft in the notes. Hope they actually start showing up.

Anyway, dev's if you're reading this, :thumbsup: :grouphug: :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    footslogger and acluewithout like this.
  4. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

There were reddit threads (that got Firaxis response) about how the new great works system didn't work well for disabled gamers, so that's likely part of the hot fix.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Has anyone gotten to level 7 climate change post patch? Just wondering how the increased submerged tiles is working. I haven't had a game go that long yet.

6. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I easily hit climate change level 7 in my first post-patch game. I had three coal power plants and a few oil & coal units. Some other AIs were also burning coal. Once we hit level 1, we rather quickly hit level 7. I had a city with modest (but not bad!) production that was never able to finish the flood barrier that it started just before we hit level 1 because it all went so fast. About 7-10 turns between sea level increases, just about. I didn't really notice a change from before the patch.

7. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Strangely.. i experienced a much slower Climate-Change growth ratio.
    Not sure if it was the map conditions (TSL Europe) or how the actual events occured (reasonable Coal+Oil impacts as usual.. major Warmongering.. etc).. but at least, i could reach the pivotal "Computers" fast (beelined) enough to push out 6+ Flood-Barriers far before reaching level #1.
    Then, by about turn #310 (Quick).. i still was under Climate Orange step #3 only.

Weird -- sooooo, i'll just have to setup a new but "regular" random Archipelago or something to witness if this kind of flaw would occur again.

8. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

By the way, for everybody who has not yet noticed: the Statue of Liberty now gives 2 Diplomatic Victory Points instead of 1.

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

10. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

To me, it's OK. I wish I could finish Diplomatic Victory earlier.

11. skodkim

skodkim Deity

So does anyone have an updated status on the apparent hotfix?

IMHO the game is unplayable now (or at the very least I'm not able to enjoy it) and I was hoping for a hot fix before last weekend. I've read multiple posts about tests saves with bugs that we're squashed, read about people thinking it was just around the corner, etc. but nothing solid.

\Skodkim

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The Mac and Linux qa builds updated again. So whatever they put on the branch builds to send to 2K yesterday didn't meet approval.

WillowBrook likes this.
  13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

And the non-QA Mac and Linux branches were just updated. If these meet with approval, I predict a patch for the trade bugs to drop tomorrow. But we won't know if they're good until we either see the patch or another qa branch update.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  14. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Now they just need to patch in a way to slider-adjust climate nonsense, which they hamfisted took out because they hate people that like coastal starts, and maybe I'll start the game again.

Until then, crickets.

rlw33 likes this.
  15. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. They've got an agenda that's pro-science and anti-coast, or something!

16. Duuk

What on earth does science have to do with a game? Or did I miss the part in Earth's history where, on a TSL Earth map, where all of Florida disappeared underwater because the USA built machine guns during the Civil War?

People really, really need to separate the "omg climate change is real" argument from the "omg climate change is handled really, really stupid in Civ6" argument. They're two different things.

I believe in climate change. I don't believe that Cuba sank in 1918 because World War 1 happened.

17. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

And I don't believe that the Mapuche battled Russia in the jungles of Sweden, but that can happen in a Civ game. I don't see how that's any different.

Regardless, nobody at Firaxis has a vendetta against coastal starts, England, or whatever else. That's just nonsense.

18. Duuk

I didn't say they have a vendetta against them. You did. I said that coastal starts are just plain bad right now and have been for a long time. Plenty of people have pointed it out mathematically. About 1/3 of the civs in the game are water/coastal based civs and are basically self-nerfed to avoid their "preferred starts".

We're not saying that Firaxis has a vendetta, we're saying Firaxis needs to make a balance pass and find a way to buff coastal starts so it isn't stupid to pick a coastal civ. Right now you're literally better off starting on plains with some desert hills a few tiles away from a river. That's a near ideal start, which is essentially the opposite of what common sense would dictate.

acluewithout likes this.
  19. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I'll just quote you again. Emphases mine.

20. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Well, maybe not an intentional or conscious bias, but it was pretty clear that (for whatever reason) they got wacked with the Nerf hammer back to back to back, often bizarrely and for no apparent reason.

(Not that I truly think it's a bias rather than a weird happenstance and at one point an attempt to handle exploitation. And I actually enjoy the current rendition of England, even if it's a bit on the weaker side. It's fun thematically).