Any debate vets here..?

JudgeJudy2020

Chieftain
I've seen some back and forth arguments about poli topics here, and while I came here to solicit commentary on Civ, just have to ask if anyone here talking poli arguments can muster a decent 1AC, PMC, PMR or even a quality K.

Feel free to reach out.. Go Falls!

Yeah I did LD in high school. Never wanted to go anywhere near policy :p

Well that's a shame. LD actually has a policy format, though it's rare and I've only see it in collegiate debate. Single pairings, stock issues.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone peddling policy positions here can muster an actual case for the claim.

Debate?
Whoever talks the fastest and loudest wins, right?

There should be a debate where it is argued that the electoral college is vastly superior to the popular vote.
All evidence shall be Jordan Peterson quotes.
Large rats let little rats win 30% of the time so they will keep playing, thus nature proves electoral college > popular vote.

Last edited:
a decent 1AC, PMC, PMR or even a quality K.

I did competitive debating all through university, attended probably a dozen tournaments including a Worlds, and I have absolutely no idea what any of this means

I did competitive debating all through university, attended probably a dozen tournaments including a Worlds, and I have absolutely no idea what any of this means

A puzzle!

1AC seems to be 1st affirmative constructive speech.
https://thedebateguru.weebly.com/anatomy-of-the-1ac.html

PMC, PMR, K
??Constructive, ??Rebuttal, ?
https://thedebateguru.weebly.com/dictionary.html

Big respect for professional arguers. :thumbsup:

If anyone has a good youtube video of a debate, I wouldn't mind watching one.

Debate?
I'm not sure I could follow a thread in which everyone posts in size 7 run-on sentences.

I have no idea what the alphabet soup in the OP means, either. But I've been a judge a few times.

Debate?

There should be a debate where it is argued that the electoral college is vastly superior to the popular vote.
All evidence shall be Jordan Peterson quotes.
Large rats let little rats win 30% of the time so they will keep playing, thus nature proves electoral college > popular vote.

That's a loaded opinion, context could be a support.

NPDA is not just scattershot, but I get that about CEDA. Debating the same resolution all year engenders all cases. That's a good Krit for the format, but would be nigh impossible to win (if you ran that K).

I'm not sure I could follow a thread in which everyone posts in size 7 run-on sentences.

I have no idea what the alphabet soup in the OP means, either. But I've been a judge a few times.

The slack of the environment engenders run-on and cheap tricks, but also tighter links, even if you're using loose links.

The slack of the environment engenders run-on and cheap tricks, but also tighter links, even if you're using loose links.
Can we slow this down, please? Yes, OT is a place where people love to argue. But I've been here over 15 years and I've never seen any sort of debate like the kind I think you're trying (and failing) to describe so the rest of us are clear on what you want to accomplish here.

If you could explain what those abbreviations/acronyms actually mean, that would be a good start.

A puzzle!

PMC, PMR, K

Correct. PMC: Prime Minister Contructive, PMR: Prime Minister rebuttal. (its the nomenclature of parlimentary debate, which is typically an unprepared event, versus a prepared event like CEDA or even LD.

Here is a good, "actual debate" thought it is IPDA, and doesn't have sock issues.

Correct. PMC: Prime Minister Contructive, PMR: Prime Minister rebuttal. (its the nomenclature of parlimentary debate, which is typically an unprepared event, versus a prepared event like CEDA or even LD.

Here is a good, "actual debate" thought it is IPDA, and doesn't have sock issues.

To extend this example, this may not be the best example, since it does not have stock issues and is impromptu, as well as microcosm. Nevertheless, it is understandable language (no scattershot) and follows the fundamentals of "real" debate

Peter Schiff had some mild criticism about the 2014 Ceda National Championship it looks like.
Spoiler :
Language Warning, a bad word in the middle
Can't find the whole 4 hour video anywhere.

Peter Schiff had some mild criticism about the 2014 Ceda National Championship it looks like.
Spoiler :
In all fairness, I would try to judge a CEDA debate, but it has decayed into a horsehocky form of spreading that makes any judge with a rhetorical paradigm with everyone competing could lose.

Don't get me wrong, we can always judge the cards..

What I was driving at to begin wish, is the application of debate logic to topics hacks oft want to debate on the internet.

Also, Civ

A puzzle!

PMC, PMR, K

Oh is this that weird American style where shouting as fast as possible is the main goal and they spend months on a single prepared topic?

Oh is this that weird American style where shouting as fast as possible is the main goal and they spend months on a single prepared topic?

On the A point, that is exactly not what the second example was.
Extension: One could argue you dropped the second example, and all of the analysis. (hint: ask for links)

On the B point, the spitting/spreading ain't that bad. It is cogent and fast (ex 2). As such, who do you think won and why in the Ex 2.

To add: Typically it is CEDA that has the spit talk that leaves the round to be judged on evidence cards, much less the others. Time limits engender that, but also engender construction and focus.

In all fairness, I did invite a debate about debate. Nevertheless to carry/win such a debate one has to carry/win the significance portion of the topic. If I am being more of a hard-ass, you don't carry significance within any debate paradigm, even armchair. You just complain about the Affirmative. That's a lose.

Bad topic ID, let alone bad presentation of an otherwise good argument, is outweighed by even weak analysis that is topical, in terms of significance. God help you if you get a strong pairing.

Last edited:
Spoiler :

This is stock example of bad evidence. You admit in your rhetoric the example is selective and incomplete. Then, apparently because one gunshot to the foot does not hurt enough, you link it to the topic at hand, when your already concede said Ex was a crap example.

Thanks for playing, you lose.

Moderator Action: This is not an appropriate way to behave at CFC, as the forum rules take precedence over your debate rules. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure debate logic can win the hearts and minds of the OT forums.

I've been trying to impress the monsters lairing in here with my towering intellect and vast vocabulary for years and haven't succeeded a single time.

Top Bottom