Anyone else quit playing?

Are you suggesting that the release of this game in its current form is acceptable? I am stating that this game was not ready for release and that Firaxis more recent title releases have been getting worse and worse. Yes Civ V was bad, but not as bad as this or BE. Releases are going from bad to worse; Thats my point.
If you don't think Civilisation 5 was this bad on release then I think we have fundamentally differing perceptions of what constitutes a working video game. I'm not saying to agree to disagree; we disagree, and that's all there is to it. I can't argue objectively beyond that because a lot to do with video games are to do with perception, and thus, are subjective.

I think Civilisation 6 was a stronger release than either BE or CiV. I personally appreciate BE more than most for the sci-fi theme and the attempt to reconcile a separate IP that Firaxis can't touch with the main Civilisation series, and honestly of the three I prefer Civ the least. But also from a technical standpoint it didn't start strongly - it was one of the few games I didn't buy on release; I waited until G&K.

For right now yes, as there is nothing to do. Diplomacy is, once more, a joke. There is no map varieties (How is there no Earth map yet), not enough Civs to play or enjoy, bugs ranging from minor crashes to major ones. Then there is the constant news spam. Not enough techs to actually gameplay or war etc. Where are the rifleman did the art department run out of time. Ugh.

I didn't think I quit playing... but the last game I played was almost a month ago.

No.

I have not stopped playing. These threads are interesting. Clearly some folks have systems that cannot handle the game or are using incompatible mods.

I play on YAMPGC's map mod which takes it further with Enormous and Giant maps. No issues, no crashes nothing. 220+ hours so far and I am loving the game.

Posts where you state..we all agreed. ...such as>>.

"We were in uniform opinion that the game has mega-problems. We were all excited about limited-use workers, but by the time we were finished we all agreed it was an awful idea that annoyed the hell out of us. We all agreed production took way too long even on normal speed. We all hated the unit upgrade system."

Clearly this is not the case for the majority of players. You seem to be in the minority, about workers as many folks feel that is one of the best features in the game, (along with Districts).

In the End, its a game. Play it or don't. I have Civ IV on my shelf along with Warlords and BTS, but none of them are installed as i prefer the better game that is Civ VI.

Cheers.
You may see many complaints about these issues on the Steam forum reviews...I was shocked and was planning on purchasing VI, but now have reservation and will keep on with IV & V unless people start seeing improvements with these well voiced problems. I am glad to see you and others are doing well with this, gives me some encouragement to wait and see if things improve.

Once the crash on specific turn bug ruined a great game I was having, yes. I just can't play again with that looming over a game.

God knows when a fix is coming...

I have.

At first, I wanted to say this was like Beyond Earth but that's not quite right. I actually think that's a great game, but the bug with the animations (about which I've ranted enough already...) kills it for me. Unfortunately, mods can't fix that.

No, Civ VI boredom feels more like... Starships. It's not "broken," to me, it's just... uninteresting. It's a good looking game, it's got some real fascinating design ideas, but I'm not quite sure it's grabbing my emotional attention. Perhaps DLC will save it, just as DLC saved Civ V, but the older I get the less patience I have for that particular marketing strategy.

Of course this may also be 4X burnout. Endless Legend was very intriguing but didn't hold my attention, and I still haven't had the nerve to try Stellaris. Even, dare I say it, Alpha Centauri feels a bit stale.

Firaxis got my money and I'm not sure when I'll stop giving it to them. I have been remarkably more forgiving to them than I have been to Paradox or Blizzard. Of course, I haven't gone back to Civ V so much as moved laterally over to XCOM... come, brothers and sisters, to the dark side of turn-based tactics!

They just announced a new civ. I thought it could sparkle my interest again but not really. Poland doesn't feel really unique or interesting and no patch is coming with it.

No, Civ VI boredom feels more like... Starships. It's not "broken," to me, it's just... uninteresting. It's a good looking game, it's got some real fascinating design ideas, but I'm not quite sure it's grabbing my emotional attention.
This. Firaxis took the design approach of "making sure players would not stick to established build paths" by making players choose different build orders based on the map. It turns out that this approach makes a lot of players feel aimless and bored due to lack of clear goals. So it seems in this case that Firaxis is a victim of its own design success. The lack of national wonders combined with a linear culture tree (vs the non linear social policies of Civ V) didn't help either.

I feel like the map is completely irrelevant to whatever I build actually. Spamming cities is always good, so terrain doesn't matter much.
Now they nerfed IZ and lusury buildings, so spamming cities close together is less good, but there's still zero incentive not to set them close together, so terrain still does not matter, except that you should avoid sea at all costs as it's garbage.

I haven't even started, lol.

I gave up a month ago after ~200 hours, and deleted the game 2 weeks ago. The patch description is unappealing.

In Civ4 I had to play my best on Emperor. In Civ6, with Deity level, even with handicapping myself by:
-razing and rebuilding all captured cities
-never accepting peace from wars
-leaving prime city locations for AI to settle
-settling, building up cities, then gifting them to neighbors I will soon attack
-playing sloppy, not just not maximizing production/etc., but hampering it
-limiting city number
-etc.

Even with the above, deity is no challenge. There's no risk, no challenge, no excitement, no danger, no reason to put effort into the game.

I've sieged cities and while trying to surround them, seen the AI move units out of the hexes adjacent to their cities, leaving the hex wide open for me to occupy. I've seen AI target my ranged units in ship-mode instead of the city-adjacent melee units sieging their city. I've seen AI move healthy units off their front line, and move damaged units to their place.

There's a lot of legitimate criticisms of SoDs, but the AI is in no way competent with 1U/hex.

Civ6 is pretty, but soulless (IMO, of course others legitimately disagree). Not sure anything short of an AI brain transplant can save it.

There's a lot of legitimate criticisms of SoDs, but the AI is in no way competent with 1U/hex.
While the AI handles 1UPT better in Civ V than in Civ VI, it could still be easily outsmarted. As you say 1UPT was a huge blow in dealing with a challenging AI. In Civ IV I had difficulties even on monarch, if my army was not up to par. Also clashes between 2 SoD's could be epic. I remember nailbiting moments in the industrial era and beyond where my army and an AI's army would clash; they could be fighting it out for up to 10-15 minutes before the turn ended. It was epic. Another thing I miss from SoD's was unit management; assigning unit stacks to groups, setting city wide or empire wide rally points for my units when DoW'd upon. None of these are possible with 1UPT.

I've stopped playing, and am not going to resume unless they decide to actually write a combat AI for this game. I am going to play a game or two when the new DLC comes out for the Mac since I made the mistake of buying the Deluxe edition. But that's it then.

Top Bottom