Anyone Rename Cities?

Im_An_Eejit

Chieftain
Just curious, only do it when a city is of immense value and just want to stick a finger to the guy i took it off, I.E. in multiplayer, after trying to take Washington for a large amount of time, finally took it and named it New Beijing, just to rub salt into the wound.

I used to all the time in Civ IV (Bob Dole City forever!) but now I've renamed one in V, and just once. I just don't feel the need to for some reason now, I think mainly because you don't have a leader name anymore like you did in IV. And that one city that I did rename wasn't even for me; it was for Hiawatha, as I liberated him from the dead, only to have him denounce me 3 turns later, so I decided to make an exile city for him on an island in the middle of a lake and take my city back. Hiawatha's exile city was named something not appropriate for the forum. That's what he gets for badmouthing me (that, and a whole lot of bribes to get Kamahameha to kill him off).

I do, alot, quite alot, everysingle city I build gets renamed, every single city I take gets renamed.

The citie's just quite not mine until i name em xD

I leave capitals (mine and conquered) as it is, but the other cities I rename. The reason is I play with the mod CivWillard, which gives a nice overview of upcoming events in your cities (growth, builds, culture, GP), and renaming cities gives me a easier overview where which city is. For example, I rename cities to reflect their location/terrain, usually to highlight which resources there are. "Bananum" as a Roman city with 3 bananas around it, "Furgem" where there was Gems and a Fur. "Rio ..." where there is a river, "... Port/Harbor" for a coastal city, etc.

If I capture the city via warfare then I make sure to starve the existing population to Pop. 1 then I rename it and start anew. This way the purity of my people is safeguarded from the impurities of the wicked.

I used to, in previous Civ versions. I use to make up my own Civ and give it a name and then name every city. I don't bother any more. Can you even name your civ in Civ5? I have been temped to rename captured capitals that I've chosen to annex, to "New ___" where ___ = the existing city name, but I haven't bothered yet.

I used to play on TSL Earth maps as Rome, trying to name all the cities correctly according to where they are(Carthago, Londinium etc.) :old:

So, how do I rename cities again?

It's pretty obvious that you didn't try, you knucklehead! :) Click "edit" right below the city name, silly boy.

Only renamed once, when I popped a city late-game on a one-hex wide isthmus to get a "canal" between two barely land-bridged continents.

(Named it "Panama City".)

It's pretty obvious that you didn't try, you knucklehead! :) Click "edit" right below the city name, silly boy.
QUOTE]

holy friggen cow man I pre-ordered my civ 5 and never noticed the edit button, I just assumed you couldn't rename cities anymore /facepalm
I found this thread looking to see if there was a mod for renaming cities since I'm playing a TSL map and every time something happens to Boston it messes me up having to find it in Florida :)

I leave capitals (mine and conquered) as it is, but the other cities I rename. The reason is I play with the mod CivWillard, which gives a nice overview of upcoming events in your cities (growth, builds, culture, GP), and renaming cities gives me a easier overview where which city is. For example, I rename cities to reflect their location/terrain, usually to highlight which resources there are. "Bananum" as a Roman city with 3 bananas around it, "Furgem" where there was Gems and a Fur. "Rio ..." where there is a river, "... Port/Harbor" for a coastal city, etc.

My wife does more or less the same, with the following exceptions:
- She gives new and funny names each game.
- She renames capital as well, although capital names always start with the same word part, meaning "Main"
- Coastal city names start from "M ", so if sorted they appear nearby in the list.

I rename them to what they're for. For example a Science city will get renamed Sci1, Sci2 etc. However, this is only because I know I have a bad habit for getting distracted and suddenly producing military units from everywhere!

Obviously, in multiplayer, wouldn't even dream of doing this. A city named "Primary Production" is just asking for trouble!

(A city would be named this as one of the two or three wonder building cities I generally have)

But they're more markers than anything else and to be honest, and only ever on maps large enough that it actually makes a difference as to how focused that city is on it's primary intended task.

When I play Rome I try to rename captured cities what they were (Londinium, Lutetia)
And I always remand Istanbul -> Constantinople, dunno what gave the Turks the nerve to rename such an old city, and with such a weird name that don't even sound like it, bugs me. Then again might as well call it Byzantium.

Oh, and I will occasionally build a city in the middle of nowhere, gift it to the AI that I declare war on, and take everything else of his to avoid the 'warmonger' tag. I usually call the gifted city S**tsylvania.

Playing as Japan, I always rename my own cities and the ones I've taken in Japanese. Usually, I name taken cities something nice (Mecca usually becomes "Amaterasu"), but sometimes if I'm annoyed and the capital I took is crummy, I'll rename it as an insult (London, since Elizabeth is ALWAYS a witch to me, gets renamed "fishface" in Japanese).

I might let a few cities keep their name, but most of them get renamed when I have the chance. Toward the end of the game, though, if I'm on the warpath, I just can't be bothered.

It also makes me laugh that the cities I take suddenly become Asian-looking cities instead of what they used to be. It's like I've ordered that the ugly European buildings must be immediately destroyed in lieu of my asian ones. :crazyeye: Makes me miss the unhappy ethnic faces from Civ3.

Top Bottom