1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Rename Cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Im_An_Eejit, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Im_An_Eejit

Im_An_Eejit Chieftain

Just curious, only do it when a city is of immense value and just want to stick a finger to the guy i took it off, I.E. in multiplayer, after trying to take Washington for a large amount of time, finally took it and named it New Beijing, just to rub salt into the wound.

2. TopGearFanatic

TopGearFanatic Duke of St. Louis

If I just took the greatest city of an empire then I'll rename it.

3. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

I used to all the time in Civ IV (Bob Dole City forever!) but now I've renamed one in V, and just once. I just don't feel the need to for some reason now, I think mainly because you don't have a leader name anymore like you did in IV. And that one city that I did rename wasn't even for me; it was for Hiawatha, as I liberated him from the dead, only to have him denounce me 3 turns later, so I decided to make an exile city for him on an island in the middle of a lake and take my city back. Hiawatha's exile city was named something not appropriate for the forum. That's what he gets for badmouthing me (that, and a whole lot of bribes to get Kamahameha to kill him off).

4. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I do, alot, quite alot, everysingle city I build gets renamed, every single city I take gets renamed.

The citie's just quite not mine until i name em xD

5. HalveBlue

HalveBlue Chieftain

Yeah, do it all the time.

Too bad there's a character limit. :(

6. Montov

Montov King

I leave capitals (mine and conquered) as it is, but the other cities I rename. The reason is I play with the mod CivWillard, which gives a nice overview of upcoming events in your cities (growth, builds, culture, GP), and renaming cities gives me a easier overview where which city is. For example, I rename cities to reflect their location/terrain, usually to highlight which resources there are. "Bananum" as a Roman city with 3 bananas around it, "Furgem" where there was Gems and a Fur. "Rio ..." where there is a river, "... Port/Harbor" for a coastal city, etc.

7. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I don't even remember how you did that...
    Always did it in IV though.

8. Superluminal

Superluminal Warlord

If I capture the city via warfare then I make sure to starve the existing population to Pop. 1 then I rename it and start anew. This way the purity of my people is safeguarded from the impurities of the wicked.

9. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I used to, in previous Civ versions. I use to make up my own Civ and give it a name and then name every city. I don't bother any more. Can you even name your civ in Civ5? I have been temped to rename captured capitals that I've chosen to annex, to "New ___" where ___ = the existing city name, but I haven't bothered yet.

10. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

I've actually modded my game so Siam's city list starts with the capitals (i excluded Thonburi) so the city list is now Krung Thep (Bangkok), Ayutthaya then Sukhothai

11. Bungle

Bungle Chieftain

I used to play on TSL Earth maps as Rome, trying to name all the cities correctly according to where they are(Carthago, Londinium etc.) :old:

12. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

So, how do I rename cities again?

13. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

It's pretty obvious that you didn't try, you knucklehead! :) Click "edit" right below the city name, silly boy.

Only renamed once, when I popped a city late-game on a one-hex wide isthmus to get a "canal" between two barely land-bridged continents.

(Named it "Panama City".)

14. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

If I'm playing as America, I'll rename the cities so they're American (I once renamed Rome Albuquerque :p). If I'm playing on an Earth map, I'll rename the city to be geographically accurate. Other than that, no.

15. danshu15

danshu15 Chieftain

16. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

My wife does more or less the same, with the following exceptions:
    - She gives new and funny names each game.
    - She renames capital as well, although capital names always start with the same word part, meaning "Main"
    - Coastal city names start from "M ", so if sorted they appear nearby in the list.

17. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Occasionally I will rename cities to be similar to the language of the civ I am playing as. When playing as Inca, I renamed Athens Atenqi, and Argos Agota

18. Becomedeath

Becomedeath The Destroyer

I rename them to what they're for. For example a Science city will get renamed Sci1, Sci2 etc. However, this is only because I know I have a bad habit for getting distracted and suddenly producing military units from everywhere!

Obviously, in multiplayer, wouldn't even dream of doing this. A city named "Primary Production" is just asking for trouble!

(A city would be named this as one of the two or three wonder building cities I generally have)

But they're more markers than anything else and to be honest, and only ever on maps large enough that it actually makes a difference as to how focused that city is on it's primary intended task.

19. KaiserKevin

KaiserKevin Warlord

When I play Rome I try to rename captured cities what they were (Londinium, Lutetia)
    And I always remand Istanbul -> Constantinople, dunno what gave the Turks the nerve to rename such an old city, and with such a weird name that don't even sound like it, bugs me. Then again might as well call it Byzantium.

Oh, and I will occasionally build a city in the middle of nowhere, gift it to the AI that I declare war on, and take everything else of his to avoid the 'warmonger' tag. I usually call the gifted city S**tsylvania.

20. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Playing as Japan, I always rename my own cities and the ones I've taken in Japanese. Usually, I name taken cities something nice (Mecca usually becomes "Amaterasu"), but sometimes if I'm annoyed and the capital I took is crummy, I'll rename it as an insult (London, since Elizabeth is ALWAYS a witch to me, gets renamed "fishface" in Japanese).

I might let a few cities keep their name, but most of them get renamed when I have the chance. Toward the end of the game, though, if I'm on the warpath, I just can't be bothered.

It also makes me laugh that the cities I take suddenly become Asian-looking cities instead of what they used to be. It's like I've ordered that the ugly European buildings must be immediately destroyed in lieu of my asian ones. :crazyeye: Makes me miss the unhappy ethnic faces from Civ3.