[NFP] April Update Video

Very, very good changes. I feel like the teasing about the "final update" is certainly intentional at this point, and the team is clearly paying attention to how the fans are reacting. The good news is that this update is desperately what Civ VI needed and I'm glad to see the weaker civs get attention; after all, it's not that some civs were unplayable, it's just that selecting them was a literal handicap to yourself.

I especially like the addition of the Light Infantry, it blows my mind there isn't a Rifleman unit in the game already. Sure there's the Ranger, but let's not pretend those are equal in any way. Trebuchet is also fantastic and definitely ends the annoyance of some walls.

Canada's buff is fantastic and well-deserved. Canada can finally stay in the tundra without immediately looking to move elsewhere, and can really take advantage of huge parts of the map previously inaccessible even to them. I still think they're only suited for a diplomatic/cultural victory, but I think they can get considerable growth and production and develop much quicker.

Khmer's changes are good, but I'm thinking the relic thing was changed to maybe give it to Poland, which is also surely getting a buff. Poland's kit has a huge relic emphasis but they have 0 way of reliably getting one, save a unit promotion or Mont Saint-Michel. Relics are a weird thing to base an entire ability around, so I can understand why the devs thought it was silly to have two civs focus on the same thing.

Agreed that Canada didn't need a huge buff to improve them.

Preserves were also a low key buff to Canada. So much easier to get national parks now so the mountie change is very nice.

One annoyance that I can see though is that their improved tundra tiles are going to end up being super specialized into either production or food. The AI already has a bad habit of working the worst tiles possible... Canada is going to be very micromanagey... If that is a word.

Yeah, I might have preferred they give Canada a more "balanced" bonus like maybe +1 culture to all improved tundra tiles, or maybe even something like giving them a bonus to districts in tundra and snow. But at least now, with the changes, assuming those bonuses are on top of the default bonus to the improvements, then a tundra farm tile will be a 4f tile right away (1f tundra + 1f farm + 2f bonus), and an early tundra hill mine will already be 1f/4p, right? Even a flat, unforested tundra deer tile will start to be workable early on by Canada, even moreso if you have a lot of them and go Goddess of the Hunt (although obviously that still competes heavily with Dance of the Aurora).

With the Mapuche you might be able to flip cities now. If the governor loyalty hill stacks it could override the loyalty of a nearby enemy city even a bit then you kill units and flip it. This could allow you to play a more diplomatic warmonger since you can just flip the enemy city and then conquer it with your bonus reducing grievances a lot. Mid to late game prioritize neutralize governor missions. So warring into culture for mapuche with their new buffed foreign cities and culture could be a fun culture win. All those culture buffs will help propel you up the civics tree and the production will help you rebuild.

For Canada already liked them since tundra is great preserve territory. Also what maps is everybody playing I had to turn climate to cold to get any tundra reliably as Canada and people complain about being inundated with it.

For Khmer great river goddess tall religious culture civs.

For Georgia you can now reliably get an early pantheon which is really helpful. Also being friends with everyone can hurt since it locks you out of emergencies and makes it harder to protect city states from your friends. Pick a warmonger or 2 and beat up on him all game. You should be able to gain decent CBs. If you don't take his cities you can easily avoid grievance. Maybe even gain other yields by pillage since you don't want to take cities. Unlocks a unique peacekeeper style diplomacy strategy. It is synergistic in that it is a war bonus suited for defensive and liberation wars rather than just conquering.

One thing that will keep civfanatics busy is all the new elimination threads to incorporate all the NFP civs and these buffs.

I hope the patch notes indicate before and after. Just reading this thread has been hard bc I can’t see what has changed and what hasn’t.
I was going to recommend the fan wiki, but it's been updated now. :p

Nice to get three units, a huge earth TSL map and better naval AI :) Just hope to see load of bug fixes, too...

For the slice of balance changes we got a tease of...

Do you think Spain gets extra builder if you have an ancestrall hall, you still need to get luck as Spain to start near another continent but those bonuses are strong

That was my immediate question as well - and given that both Mapuche and Georgia get boni similar to existing general sources (one of Victors abilities, a Pantheon) as well, I wonder if that will be a continuing trend in the rest of the civ balances coming?
Stacking effects might become really nasty in some cases, but if they don't stack...then I fear we will have a new trap the AI can fall in :sad:

Yeah, I might have preferred they give Canada a more "balanced" bonus like maybe +1 culture to all improved tundra tiles, or maybe even something like giving them a bonus to districts in tundra and snow. But at least now, with the changes, assuming those bonuses are on top of the default bonus to the improvements, then a tundra farm tile will be a 4f tile right away (1f tundra + 1f farm + 2f bonus), and an early tundra hill mine will already be 1f/4p, right? Even a flat, unforested tundra deer tile will start to be workable early on by Canada, even moreso if you have a lot of them and go Goddess of the Hunt (although obviously that still competes heavily with Dance of the Aurora).

I'd have loved something which didn't require builders as Canada still will suffer from occasional extremely slow starts. But I do like the changes and I guess they didn't want an automatic buff in order to differentiate them from Russia?

Well, if the new unit is at Military Tactics since the unique units there are replacements of it, then Domination victory will just become worse because the new melee units are nice but not necessary.

I guess this depends on the map you play. If you are at a naval map this could be a nice bonus for domination. You can rush frigates and dont need to spend too much time in the lower techtree to get some good units to fight on islands/other continents.

Never said the Protectorate War ability was that good either. However, it at least has some synergy with their other abilities and you can still get bonus from simply declaring the war even if the CS you want to protect is on the other side of the world or something.
I don't really expect they change Georgia one more time, the civ is just strong the way it is right now. The Faith from victories, if anything, is a lot better than the clunky casus belli. They can get Pantheon a lot faster, and maybe open a new Domination path if you build Grand Master's Chapel. Defensive civs are generally boring, now they have an incentive to go to war.

I'm glad they took away the Martyr Missionaries, as they were annoyingly finicky since missionaries can't initiate combat, but I wish they had kept the extra relic slot on top of everything else. I love reliquaries but now the only civs with bonuses to relics are Poland and Kongo (and I guess Sweden with Apadana, Mont Saint Michel, St.Basil's, and Giovanni di Medici), and Kongo can't even reliably get reliquaries.
Would keeping the slots in addition to everything else be kinda OP? Yeah. Do I mind? Nope!
I think the tourism bonus for large cities is more unique, interesting, and more synergized with their abilities.
I can feel a Poland rework around relics in the air now.

True Start Huge Earth MAP!!!!!!

Finally. This is what I'm waiting for. I hope it's decent.

So... what do we all think about the buffs? Personally, I'm interested in the Khmer buffs.

Khmer wasn't all bad before. But I certainly like a civ orientated towards growth. I already previously played a game with them trying to get the biggest city possible. Now it looks like I'll be doing that again. I look forward to it.

it looks like each era now has a new iteration for each class of unit. took long enough.
I think only melee class does at least until modern era then there is a single era gap in the Atomic.
Warrior>Swordsman>Man At Arms>Musketman>Line Infantry>Infantry>Mechanized Infantry

Also I'm going to guess Line Infantry comes at Military Science, along with the Redcoat and Imperial Garde, who will be replacements.

The only thing that makes me sad about this patch is doing away with Khmer's suicide missionaries. They weren't terribly realist, but I thought the mechanic was unique and fun.
I would've been fine if they'd made the Bonus work more and a little more useful. Regardless, love the new changes to the Khmer.

I think only melee class does at least until modern era then there is a single era gap in the Atomic.
Warrior>Swordsman>Man At Arms>Musketman>Line Infantry>Infantry>Mechanized Infantry

Also I'm going to guess Line Infantry comes at Military Science, along with the Redcoat and Imperial Garde, who will be replacements.
I hope they don't replace all standalone unique units. Although I have to admit they are quite clunky to use effectively, but it is still a feature of Civ6 over Civ5. We know Mounties are still standalone, so that's good, but I hope they don't make changes to Samurai and Berserkers.

I hope they don't replace all standalone unique units. Although I have to admit they are quite clunky to use effectively, but it is still a feature of Civ6 over Civ5. We know Mounties are still standalone, so that's good, but I hope they don't make changes to Samurai and Berserkers.
There's also the Sabum Kibittum, Crouching Tiger, Keshig, Malon Raider, Varu, etc.

With the Mapuche you might be able to flip cities now

You can only flip cities if they have negative loyalty pressure no matter how much loyalty the lose on a specific turn. If a city has +0.1 loyalty pressure then it won't flip no matter how loyalty is loses to due abilities or stuff like the Cultist.

Unlocks a unique peacekeeper style diplomacy strategy. It is synergistic in that it is a war bonus suited for defensive and liberation wars rather than just conquering.

Eh, I just disagree. There is too much that has to go right for it work well when Georgia could have just something better and less situational than either of their two war related bonuses. One Georgia game I played I did up fighting Germany a lot the extra wouldn't have been that useful all things considered.

Top Bottom