1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] April Update Video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duke William of Normandy, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

It's been tried before, what yer thinkin' of...

Remember CTP2? They had a public works budget that drew from your commerce flow. Points built up, IIRC, on an empire-wide basis and could be applied anywhere. Like a lot of CTP's innovations, it sounded great on paper, but was a total nightmare in practice.

Not saying it couldn't be done with the right approach / interface, but right now builder charges seem the least worst option.

Zegangani, Banazir864 and DWilson like this.
  2. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

I disagree, charges seem like the worst posible approach to me.

Civilization has never tried that..., except it totally has. Building stuff with money works just fine.

Also I don't think one other strategy game using money to build stuff, and doing it not great, means anything.

aieeegrunt and Depravo like this.
  3. Pikachaoomega

Pikachaoomega Chieftain

I think the ability would be pretty fun on a wonder, maybe also giving more charges or the ability for missionaries to fight

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Maybe Mont St. Michel considering it already has a similar ability? Instead of granting all Apostles with a martyr promotion they can move it to missionaries instead?

DWilson likes this.
  5. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

How about both, plus gurus and maybe inquisitors?

6. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

It was a thing of beauty. Because every few turns you could take your budget and fully improve a city, wait for some resupply and move on to the next one. Instead of needing to pick a city to be your Builder City that cranks out a unit that you'll forget to send to repair on the other side of the map because by the time it gets there 15 turns later you forgot what you even wanted to build.

And the way you could control your budget (science / gold / public works) meant you could do a huge burst for a turn or two and go hog wild.

Edit:

And, as someone who plays for religious victory 90% of the time, can I just say that I *HATE* relics. You literally have to make sure your units die to get relics. When FXS calls me for the Final Frontier Pass, after I talk to them about the trade route rework, I'm totally going to suggest that relics be created after KILLING an enemy religion unit (two relic types, lesser and major, major for apostles, lesser for everything else). Make the martyr ability the equivalent of the samurai ability: Martyrs do not lose attack strength while damaged.

7. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

So, instead of dying and inspiring others with their death, their ability is to tank more damage? I mean, it's not a bad ability, but it's kind of the opposite of what a martyr does...

8. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

While I firmly believe there needs to be a better way to generate relics, relics are usually considered to be the remains of the saints...not heretics and infidels. :p

9. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I think a lower spawn rate for relics that are condemned as heretics is the most logical way to handle it. It may need to be quite low to prevent abuse (sending suicidal waves against an enemy military), but perhaps it can be balanced otherwise (e.g. less likely to generate a relic each time a new one is gained, an increase in faith cost for every condemned unit, etc.).

10. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

You are not supposed to build next to preserves, plus they take up a district. Additionally, 3 appeal is not a small number, especially if you start in rainforest, floodplains, marsh or Detroit.

11. bbbt

bbbt Deity

A number of which were martyrs but not necessarily even the majority afaik.

In keeping with the rest of Civ 6's 'achievement style' approach (i.e. eurekas, era points, etc.) they could have had specific stipulations for canonization and used those (e.g. first apostle to convert a city to your religion in a civ, first apostle to die in foreign lands, first apostle to convert a city on a new continent, etc., first inquisitor to return one of your cities to your religion, etc., etc.) and then you got a relic when they were defeated or used their last charge.

Zaarin likes this.
  12. Mtgkuvalda

Mtgkuvalda Chieftain

Not so long ago, I mastered the Development Tools editor and started creating my own rebalance of the game. These are the ideas that came to my mind:
    Scythia - An additional Light Cavalry unit is generated from the previous era. That is, by creating a horseman you will get barbarian cavalry, courcer will create a horseman, etc. Saka will be created as usual. With their bonuses, even backward units without upgrades can serve well in battle. Along with this nerf comes the Kurgan buff - for each era after construction or last repair, it gives +1 culture, while not being destroyed by cataclysms. Just like the Zoroastrian temple in the game. Also, tumulus cannot be created in the desert, tundra, and snow (the very idea of this is absurd, now such a limited location is compensated for by a really powerful potential in the late game). In the future, it can give cultural tourism. This ability is reflected in the properties of civilization, not improvement, that is, the invader of the cities of Scythia will not receive culture bonuses, but will be able to enrich himself well by plundering Scythian gold, since now the loot for looting is in gold instead of faith, and its amount is twice as large as usual.
    France - chateau opens in castles, gives +1 culture to each neighboring cell with the prestige of 3 with the opening of humanism (invited painters begin to live in noble houses). Also +1 gold for rare resources. But now, in addition to the location by the river, you can not build two chateaux next to each other. Now it turns out that the bonus from wonder rather allows you not to lose the main bonus of the chateau, and not its main role.
    Eleanor - +3 to all cavalry units, for a victory they bring 5 points of the great writer. The bonus reflects the reckless crusades and the troubadours who chant them.
    Genghis Khan - the +3 bonus is given to Eleanor, instead the Cavalry gets +50% combat experience. In addition, pastures and camps make a cultural bomb. In Australia, the bomb will be moved to the Outback Station.
    Norway - The ship production bonus is replaced with a +1 production from Stave Church, which is now stripped of it, but is in drama and poetry and costs half the price of the temple. Berserkers can be bought for faith and give 40% of their value in faith when they die.
    Korea-governors give +3% faith instead of science. You can hire warrior monks in the shrine, without the appropriate religion (the warrior monk belief will be improved, with it, cities with a temple will give +25% experience to all ground units before the industrial era, and recon units of any era). Seowon gives 3 sciences initially. With the opening of the writing, an additional governor's title is given.
    Even before the announcement of the patch, I managed to improve the Khmer so that farms gave +2 food for dams as well as for aqueducts, and, most importantly, when building a dam or aqueduct, a free builder was given. The holy places received bonuses from the proximity to fresh water, not just the river. And Spain just gave from me a +1 bonus to everything from the palace, as in the autocracy (a reference to the unique palace-monastery-library El Escorial in the name of Philip's ability. The final version of Firaxis really shocked me, so much of the cornucopia for Spain I did not expect) But these nations have suffered so long because of their unreliability that they really deserve to be an OP in their old age!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  13. Dantesedge

Dantesedge Chieftain

From someone who currently lives in Michigan, reading this made me laugh out loud. Kudos.

14. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt King

Preach it brother, testify

The difference between a farm and a library is 110% arbitrary; infractructure is infrastructure.

Give us the option to buy improvements with faith/gold/production

iammaxhailme and Duuk like this.
  15. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I was thinking more along the lines of "Inspiration of the Saints", like St. Patrick's conversion of Ireland. But they could also fix it by making the martyr ability generate a relic when the unit dies OR spends all of its charges and is removed (similar to Heroes).

8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  16. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Maybe they could take inspiration from rock bands and allow apostles use 3 charges to create relics on certain types of tile features like natural wonders or the like. Though that would be adding yet another way to turn faith into tourism.

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It would only be a little flavor most of the time, but it might be fun if you got a relic if someone inquisitors a city that had your religion.

Then of course there are sham relics made by a great merchant . . .

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

They should be generated by Great Prophets. but that would require the roles of Prophet's the change as well, ofc.

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Zegangani

Zegangani Prince

Late to the Party, but I don't think building Improvements with Gold only is a good Idea. It would be a good alternative if you don't want to spend build charges, but making the Builder work only with Gold isn't better than the current build charges systeme (but it's a good Idea, just need more thinking and maybe rework to some mechanisms to line up with it for Balance). You would be completely reliant on Gold all the Time (What if you run out of Gold and can't build Plantations that add some Gold or Farms that help grow your Pop?). Beside, Gold in the Civ Games is global and not local to Cities, so how could a City that you just have settled on a new continent on the other side of sea get to that Gold to use Builders? Bad enough that you can do that with Buildings and Units, at least those can still be produced with local production, so it's half as bad.

Having the option between using Gold or Build Charges when there is no Gold, would be a much better solution IMO. Because you would still have the decision making of Build charges that lead to Builders vanishing, and also the immortal Builder if you use Gold instead (because it would kinda represent buying a new Builder, but on the same plot).

Ticio likes this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't like using gold to make improvements, esp if the benefits of many of the improvements are that they earn you extra gold. To me it would have to be a really clever and novel system to want something other than builder/worker. Not gold, not city build queue like everything else

Ticio and Zaarin like this.