Are You a Mod for Any Other Forum/Subreddit? What's Your Story?

Ha. At last, my time has come!

I was a newb at Apolyton of 2.5 months' vintage when WPC happened in early 2009 and I followed the enthusiastic SMACer migration. At the shiny new place, there was naturally a great deal of talking and thinking and action about building a community and how forums work and such. That's remained an area of interest to me since; my SMACX modding didn't always draw the feedback it deserved, but socializing with people was very gratifying. I'm in it for the people.

-This account contains glaring omissions of drama and Nerdwarstm, BTW.

So, after several years as a very enthusiastic citizen-soldier of community building activity in the SMACX section (and straight-up partnering with the moderator in the private GotM team folder running SMACX 'cause we both hate PMs) there was an open call for moderators in late 2011, and I stepped up. I was asked to stay off managing people -fair; I had considerable history as a troublemaker and problem member I'm glaringly omitting- and focus on cleaning up the smilies and some graphical forum stuff of the kind. I made a major project of it, also pitching in majorly on janitor stuff like hammering bots, and cleaning out old bots from the member list - it was like stuff I'd been doing forever, just with more buttons. I do not mind the janitor stuff.

And when someone posted a Buffy nip-slip shot in Civ4, I was so sheepish in handling that no-brainer as first staffer on the scene that my popularity actually increased with that crowd, and the malefactor in particular. (Beta wasn't in trouble at WPC, and never did it again.) Related, I made a thread in SMACX, as a citizen, talking about what we needed to do as a community and as individuals about the ongoing Nerdwarstm problem I'm not getting into here. -Again, I was just making speeches as just another member -and I don't know if it ultimately did any good, either- but I definitely noticed that I was being listened to, unlike a few previous efforts to influence the community, definitely due to that shiny nerdbadge in my postbit. That there's the origin of my thoughts about the necessity of leadership as inherent to a forum staff job description, and it's also where my love of the 'Kirk-speeches' began.

[shrugs] Somewhere in this, I finally signed up at my moderating partner's side-project, Alpha Centauri 2, and a couple hours later got an email notification that I'd been made Administrator w/o any consultation. Well.

A glaring omission later, 2012, we were at AC2 putting in the work to make it live -WORK- and just naturally fell into I was doing the people management. My shock that I was good at it was as profound as anyone's... :eek: I was never in it for any interest in telling anyone what to do, though I had always been a very bossy citizen - difference being that I've got opinions about what people do, but I have my own authority issues and am still uncomfortable being The Man. At any rate, the next year I offered to kick in half the bills and became, ferchrissakes, an Owner.

But, you know, I'm in this community for the excellent people, and I've put my money and my life, pretty much, behind that, making a good place, attracting them and keeping them. There are many good days when it pays off. I love the people. :D:D:D

I've moderated/admined a few forums over the years. Mostly in support of my mod making. Essentially disappeared from all communities after Civ6 release, but recently as part of the Mohawk team been made admin of a number of Old World related discords/Facebook group.

Seriously, unless it's a job (as a community manager) don't pursue it. Only frustration and not much to look back on can come from doing it as a volunteer. It's thankless, and lots of people end up hating you for the dumbest of reasons. Oh, and lots and lots of regret.

Just sayen.

Dale. Admit there were some good times. Glaring omissions aside, we had some good times, you and me. :) You are not wrong, and I understand the burnout issues SO much better than I used to -the absolute nadir of the job is being a target for your hard, hard work- but we did/do it for good reason, and there are rewards.

Just sayin'.

I'm a mod of a video game forum, 3 twitch streams and 4 discord channels. I didn't do anything actively to pursue it; in all cases I was just asked if I would after having been an active participant for awhile. I try to be as hands off and conflict averse as possible which is very easy because they're all pretty small, laid back groups with relatively similar ideological underpinnings. The only two that took any "work" were the forum and one twitch stream; the former got reasonably big at one point, the latter had a general expectation of attendance, but in all honesty most moderation in my experience is banning bots. I can't recall a single time it required me to go above and beyond just using the site regularly nor do I recall ever like dwelling on something happening outside of using it. Think I've only literally had to permaban like 2 people in the last 5 years (in both cases for extreme racism, and only one of whom was a regular at the time). I can recall really only one conflict that got remotely messy, and in all honesty 100% of forum conflict becomes really dumb when you look back on it.

I also don't know why I went from present tense to past but I'm too lazy to fix it.

No, all moderators should be stripped of their entrails and dragged from here to damascus.

Moderator Action: This is clearly not an acceptable sentiment to express at CFC. ~ Arakhor

Last edited by a moderator:
Define terrible, and terrible for whom.

I can't give you an answer until you do that.
Incivility; posters out of control with attacks and meanness; reasonable discussions blasted by trolls and interruptions of no value. Dogpiling; name calling; Hate speech; an unpleasant place to be; no appeals for cruelty; all the nicest people leaving.

Terrible for people who value discussion and the civil exchange of ideas.

Dale. Admit there were some good times. Glaring omissions aside, we had some good times, you and me. :) You are not wrong, and I understand the burnout issues SO much better than I used to -the absolute nadir of the job is being a target for your hard, hard work- but we did/do it for good reason, and there are rewards.

Just sayin'.

You are talking about the times when we were just playing at forum regulars, not mods/admins.

Oh, we had some supervillain teamups in the GotM folder - that's at least a gray area... You abused your powers wantonly changing the title of my Warlord thread when a good jab occurred to you, I was good sport about it, and a good time was had by all. [shrugs]

I'm happier, emphasizing the positive, and because the job really does have bitter challenges, I need that all the more. There ARE rewards.

Moderator Action: This is just a friendly reminder to everyone, but PDMA still won't fly in this thread. Please also leave off-site drama off-site. Thank you.

Never been a mod anywhere else ... but for few years I was member of a board that issued (and occasionally revoked) IRL activity licenses and ruled on disciplinary matters and such.

Here... well, I was asked and after having been freeriding for 15 years, I couldn't really refuse. Even though after accepting I realized... that I had actually never even reported a post, few spambots aside.

IIRC the janitor-work has mostly been little, but indeed, the spam-defense must have improved with Xenforo.
What took up most time is either derailed flame-war threads, or tracking down weird stuff, with the former happening more often. But that's a few years ago already.

Clarification: I've been a CFC member for almost 12 years -half of which doesn't count between SMACX folder hermit and a few years here and there I didn't check, but still- but I ain't never seen spam -linky-botty-spam- at CFC, not in vBulletin either. Y'all a crack team.

-The good kind of crack. Wait; the competent and diligent kind of crack. Yes...

I do not know how they select mods now.

Are you not still an active Mod? I always assumed it was discussed and voted on by Mods in their private part of the forum?

Are you not still an active Mod? I always assumed it was discussed and voted on by Mods in their private part of the forum?
Yes, I am. My recent recruitment though seemed as out of the ordinary as my first installment. :)

Top Bottom