Are you falling asleep correctly?

As far as I can tell from experience with both my parents' e-readers, e-readers are exactly the same for books as phones, except as you note it is an extra device that is mostly not as small as a phone. The entire point of having my books in digital form is to carry them on my phone, in my pocket. Carrying another device would entirely defeat the purpose...might as well just carry around whatever physical book I'm reading.

Reading on my phone means I am one click away from being distracted. I get pop up notifications, texts, calls. Reading is a time to escape and put the phone down. Plus the difference between reading on an e-ink screen vs LED screen is night and day in terms of eye fatigue and just overall experience. Sure, a physical book is best, but e-readers are a close to the same experience with a number of advantages in terms of size, cost, and portability. Reading on your phone is just... gross.

I think I would likely have an easier type to fall asleep were it not for the memories that enter my head the moment I close my eyes and stop thinking for a moment, and that often make me scream loudly when I'm lying in my bad alone, or in the annoyingly tight, hugging arms of my boyfriend when he stays here for a night or two. It's hard to fall asleep if you can't breath, or rather, if you can breath just enough so it keeps you from fainting. At least it prevents me from screaming, physically.

I have not tried these military techniques that are reported upon.

Last edited:
Try blue light blockers, flux on comp, twilight on phone.

Yes, blue light murders sleep!

I had a computer in my room with blue LED fans that I left on, and I always had bad sleep when I did that. :undecide:
Now I know why it was so bad.
https://www.fastcodesign.com/90177573/how-blue-became-techs-favorite-color-and-why-it-shouldnt-be
The bright blue light of flat, rectangular touch screens, fans, and displays may be appealing from an aesthetic perspective (more on that below), but from a health standpoint, it is fraught with problems. Blue light inhibits the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates our sleep cycles. Blue light before bedtime can wreak havoc on our ability to fall asleep. Harvard researchers and their colleagues conducted an experiment comparing the effects of 6.5 hours of exposure to blue light, versus exposure to green light of comparable brightness. They found that blue light suppressed melatonin for about twice as long as the green light and shifted circadian rhythms by twice as much (3 hours compared with 1.5 hours). And worse, it’s been linked in recent studies to an increased risk of obesity and some cancers.

My S7 has a blue light filter in its options, and I read on it all the time, including at night. It's perfectly fine for that purpose. My brightness is adaptive, but by default 10-15% so very little eye strain at night.

Falling asleep easily is the closest thing I have to a super power.

In context of the quote I was replying to the statement was that people who claim to function best on 6 hours of sleep are liars.

Hmm, no. The statement was that some people claim to live on 6 hours sleep and you said they are liars.

I had a computer in my room with blue LED fans that I left on, and I always had bad sleep when I did that

You can just snip the wires to the LEDs on fans that light up. For random electronic LEDs in general, I suggest electrical tape.

Hmm, no. The statement was that some people claim to live on 6 hours sleep and you said they are liars.

"I need almost 8 to function best, but I hear some people live on 6."

"They're liars. Possibly to themselves."

Sorry it wasn't clear. Now it's clarified. No reason to try for unhelpful "gotchas".

"I need almost 8 to function best, but I hear some people live on 6."

"They're liars. Possibly to themselves."

Sorry it wasn't clear. Now it's clarified. No reason to try for unhelpful "gotchas".

Thanks for quoting the thing I already read and correctly summarised. :dunno:

Reading on my phone means I am one click away from being distracted. I get pop up notifications, texts, calls.

Hmm, I guess because I'm antisocial I have no problem simply ignoring this stuff.

Hmm, I guess because I'm antisocial I have no problem simply ignoring this stuff.

Well I'm antisocial too, but I don't always ignore it, even if I usually do. Plus I still get an annoying pop-up that I have to swipe away. I mean, it's first world problems for sure, but there is just something more clean feeling about holding an e-book. I have too many other/negative associations with my phone.

Well I'm antisocial too, but I don't always ignore it, even if I usually do. Plus I still get an annoying pop-up that I have to swipe away. I mean, it's first world problems for sure, but there is just something more clean feeling about holding an e-book. I have too many other/negative associations with my phone.

*shrug* I will say that when I'm reading a book I've never read before, I like to do it with an actual, physical book. Most of what I read on my phone is just light reading I do to pass the time when e.g. on a train or waiting for stuff or what have you. I also use my phone to read when I'm out on the hiking trails in Rock Creek Park, where it's rather impractical to bring an actual book or even another device like an e-reader. I already have my phone and my iPod which is already too many devices imo.

Top Bottom