1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Artist Guilds in Classical, Museums Not Until Renaissance

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jul 18, 2013.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

There can be quite a gap between having Great Artists and having the primary building for storing paintings, the museums. Sure, the palace grants a free sloot, but if you've got Aesthetics and a garden, you can wind up with quite a few more artists that have nothing to paint.

What do you guys think the intended design is here? Do you stockpile artists for an era or two, or use them right away for GA's?

2. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

I think the idea is to make the Classical and Medieval art possible but rarer (for future theming bonuses which sometimes call for different eras). Cathedrals are a great way to store this extra art, by the way.

I havent played Assyria yet so don't know if their libraries have extra slot for literature or art, but possibly it's also art.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I recommend stockpiling Artists then using them together in the Sistine Chapel (2) and Uffizi (3) during the Renaissance.

4. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

The intended design is increasing the value of art slot wonders like Sistine Chapel and Uffizi, I guess.

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This. In my current game (still only my first - not getting more than 20 minutes a day to play at the moment) I went for the Sistine Chapel and the Uffizi and haven't yet run out of space. It's Music I'm worried about - only got a handful of Opera Houses up so far and Broadway feels like an awfully long way away.

6. wigwam

wigwam Prince

The Assyrian Royal Library holds Writing.

You do have some pre-Museum options to hold Art, though: the Sistine Chapel, the Uffizi, and the Hermitage. That's eight slots if you can snag both of the World Wonders.

7. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

This. I've had culture-focused games where I can't get enough Artists to fill all the slots and other games where I had nowhere to put them. To me, they're the most interesting of all GWAMs because of this.

8. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

And Cathedral.

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Also, the Museum is Industrial, is it not? Even later!

10. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

Persians wouldn't be happy if AG was Industrial, now would they? :D

11. wigwam

wigwam Prince

Although the Artists' Guild is Medieval, not Classical, so it's still actually two eras.

12. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yeah, you're right. That's quite painful.

Surprised that the Hermitage switched to Opera Houses instead of museums (as it is a giant museum). Guess game balance gets the trump card here.

Even the Uffizi and Sistine Chapel don't come until renaissance. Maybe the palace should have two slots, or at least nix the maintenance costs for GP's.

13. wigwam

wigwam Prince

Guilds is a pretty low-priority tech, though, even if you're focusing on culture. You'll probably go to Education first, and then the Sistine Chapel is just one tech away. You might actually get to Acoustics before you get to Guilds.

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The Palace (which is in your current capital) holds one slot for art/artifact.

15. Blueboots

Blueboots Chieftain

Cathedral or golden age spam.

16. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

What happens if you create a great work but don't have a slot for it? I'm sure the answer is around, but I haven't seen it.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You can't make a work if there is no slot for it.

18. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Artifacts share the art slots, which is where all the ancient (& most of the classical) art comes from.

The Museum also behaves differently, it wants two items (either artifacts or art) from the same era.

19. DarkSim

DarkSim Chieftain

The musicians aren't too much of a problem because their other ability is extremely powerful for achieving a cultural victory. The "Perform Concert Tour" tourism-bomb can be used against the 1 or 2 civs that generally pull ahead of the other AIs, and I think it's arguably a better use for the musicians, certainly towards the endgame.

I think the amount of tourism you're producing when the musician is born is multiplied by 10, so in effect it gives you 10 turns of tourism to one civ, plus 20% to all other civs. I may be wrong on these exact multipliers, but that's what it seemed like in a couple of games I played going for a CV.

20. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Those numbers are correct.

Also I have never had the issue of not having a use for my great works of art, maybe its the order I go though. If I am going for a cultural victory, I always beeline for the Sistine Chapel, which has more than enough slots.