Artist Guilds in Classical, Museums Not Until Renaissance

steveg700

Deity
There can be quite a gap between having Great Artists and having the primary building for storing paintings, the museums. Sure, the palace grants a free sloot, but if you've got Aesthetics and a garden, you can wind up with quite a few more artists that have nothing to paint.

What do you guys think the intended design is here? Do you stockpile artists for an era or two, or use them right away for GA's?

I think the idea is to make the Classical and Medieval art possible but rarer (for future theming bonuses which sometimes call for different eras). Cathedrals are a great way to store this extra art, by the way.

I havent played Assyria yet so don't know if their libraries have extra slot for literature or art, but possibly it's also art.

I recommend stockpiling Artists then using them together in the Sistine Chapel (2) and Uffizi (3) during the Renaissance.

The intended design is increasing the value of art slot wonders like Sistine Chapel and Uffizi, I guess.

I recommend stockpiling Artists then using them together in the Sistine Chapel (2) and Uffizi (3) during the Renaissance.

This. In my current game (still only my first - not getting more than 20 minutes a day to play at the moment) I went for the Sistine Chapel and the Uffizi and haven't yet run out of space. It's Music I'm worried about - only got a handful of Opera Houses up so far and Broadway feels like an awfully long way away.

The Assyrian Royal Library holds Writing.

You do have some pre-Museum options to hold Art, though: the Sistine Chapel, the Uffizi, and the Hermitage. That's eight slots if you can snag both of the World Wonders.

The intended design is increasing the value of art slot wonders like Sistine Chapel and Uffizi, I guess.

This. I've had culture-focused games where I can't get enough Artists to fill all the slots and other games where I had nowhere to put them. To me, they're the most interesting of all GWAMs because of this.

Also, the Museum is Industrial, is it not? Even later!

Also, the Museum is Industrial, is it not? Even later!
Yeah, you're right. That's quite painful.

Surprised that the Hermitage switched to Opera Houses instead of museums (as it is a giant museum). Guess game balance gets the trump card here.

Even the Uffizi and Sistine Chapel don't come until renaissance. Maybe the palace should have two slots, or at least nix the maintenance costs for GP's.

Guilds is a pretty low-priority tech, though, even if you're focusing on culture. You'll probably go to Education first, and then the Sistine Chapel is just one tech away. You might actually get to Acoustics before you get to Guilds.

What happens if you create a great work but don't have a slot for it? I'm sure the answer is around, but I haven't seen it.

Artifacts share the art slots, which is where all the ancient (& most of the classical) art comes from.

The Museum also behaves differently, it wants two items (either artifacts or art) from the same era.

This. In my current game (still only my first - not getting more than 20 minutes a day to play at the moment) I went for the Sistine Chapel and the Uffizi and haven't yet run out of space. It's Music I'm worried about - only got a handful of Opera Houses up so far and Broadway feels like an awfully long way away.

The musicians aren't too much of a problem because their other ability is extremely powerful for achieving a cultural victory. The "Perform Concert Tour" tourism-bomb can be used against the 1 or 2 civs that generally pull ahead of the other AIs, and I think it's arguably a better use for the musicians, certainly towards the endgame.

I think the amount of tourism you're producing when the musician is born is multiplied by 10, so in effect it gives you 10 turns of tourism to one civ, plus 20% to all other civs. I may be wrong on these exact multipliers, but that's what it seemed like in a couple of games I played going for a CV.

Those numbers are correct.

Also I have never had the issue of not having a use for my great works of art, maybe its the order I go though. If I am going for a cultural victory, I always beeline for the Sistine Chapel, which has more than enough slots.

Top Bottom