Ask a Biologist

My mom's chiropractor's office had a ton of crap about how flu vaccines are dangerous. Got anything about those in particular?

Flu vaccines are often just killed flu virus, so they are dangerous in the sense that your body will react to those perceived threats entering your body.
They are also far less dangerous than the active flu itself, because again, "what is more dangerous, a dead virus or a live one?"*
If you don't get infected by flu, then there is no reason for a flu vaccine. If you do get infected by a fly virus, then there is a reason for a flu vaccine.
A flu vaccine is not lethal, an active flu virus can be.
If a flu vaccine is harmful (and there have been a rare few that have been harmful), they are done by companies that ship their product too soon, and they are still less dangerous than the flu virus itself.
The big flu scare a few years back, was with a flu that wasn't particularly more deadly than the average flu virus.

*Yes, I know a virus is not a live organism, hence the term active/inactive, but it is easier to explain this way.

What would you say the biggest misconceptions about your particular field of study are?

That there's soooo much known about it.
During my master thesis (was about the production of toxins, antibiotics, etc) I was totally surprised that there's only a tiny bit in this area yet discovered.
Saying that everything is already discovered would be totally false.

Yeah, this. At the molecular biology level at least, the closer you look the more uncertain things become; and the more the order that you got taught about in your undergrad with its neat pathways and proteins with a well-defined purpose turns into just a crazy jury-rigged Rube Goldberg machine with mess all over the place and there's no way in hell it should work but it does - and each bit of the mechanism turns out to play a hundred different roles depending on which one of a hundred different wires you pull. I think people don't realise what a crazy and beautifully chaotic system it all is, and they don't realise that because of that, we're only barely scratching the surface in our knowledge of it.

If Jurassic Parking is out of the question, what are some biology-based science fiction premises you'd consider feasible?

Well, I was always sucker for GATTACA. Very good film with rather feasible premise. I don't see any drastic improvements of the human condition in near future, but we could eliminate many defects, that's way easier than improvement. And I fear that humans are di**s enough to make the genome apartheid possible.

But there is little sci-fi with ecological premise, Tuf Voyaging, by G. R. R. Martin was excellent, but we are far away from ecological engineering on planetary scale and the presented examples were highly simplistic. And unfortunately, I haven't read the Mars trilogy by Kim Robinson, so that's for ecology.

In the biology-based premises, I can imagine that we could have artificial wombs in few decades. There are no principal obstacles known to us and all is left are "just" technical problems.

What would you say the biggest misconceptions about your particular field of study are?
There are two in the field of ecology. The first is that we are some treehugging hippies. While we are all friendly to the environmental cause, we are on the other hand somehow detached from the problem, becuse as the saying goes: "The death of one is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic. The extinction of thousands of species is a macroecology"

The second one is, as The_J and others already said, is that most is already researched and all is left is fill some gasp and maybe by some leap of genius move whole boundaries of biology. We know nearly nothing. We don't know what drives speciation or extiction without restoring to circular arguments, what makes ecosystems stable or not and so on. We have only some educated guesses that are probably true, but they haven't been proven yet.

Do you carry a squid and a dissection kit around everywhere, just in case?
Tha's probably some reference that I don't get, but no, I don't. I'm not zoologist to pick up every dead animal that I find and fill refrigerator with dead moles. But squids are cool.

As a biologist what do you think of Richard Dawkins. He's a biologist isn't he? Would you recommend his books?

He is a superb popularizer of science and I would highly recommend you his first books. Then the quality gone done, but he still is one of the best. As a biologist, I sometimes refer to his concept of selfish gene and gene-centric approach as just compilation of other's thoughts. But that is probably only envy on my part, he just created new paradigm in evolutionary biology that we (nearly) all subscribe to. And his concept of extended phenotype is genial. But his anti-religion stabs are....sad, pathetic and kinda embarrassing, his knowledge of philosophy and religion is only slightly better than high school level.

How many biologists do you meet that don't understand evolution? Because I meet many neurobiologists that do not. These are practicing, well known, professors who do not understand the concept of spandrels. Essentially if they see something change in their experiment they assume it is functionally important for what they are studying. When questioned about it being only a correlation they say “well why would it be there, evolution would not waste so much energy on this if it wasn’t important”.

Well, no one. All that I met understood the concept very well. But I've met some students of medicine (And, in fact, majority of them planned to continue with neurological research) and few others (mainly economists) that were this kind of ultra-adaptionist. All of them have some libertarian leanings, AFAIK.

I have never heard of the term "pop-science" before and I'm honestly not sure what it means. Science in popular culture perhaps? In the same way that watching the Moon landings would be pop science?

Presentation of science to the public. Like when instead of reading number of slightly boring papers, you would read some book on science instead, where the author would interpret the results for you into a readable narrative, without boring you to death with methodological questions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_science

Not a geneticist, but I'm sure they'd blanch at how the public defines heritability. "Trait X is 50% heritable" doesn't mean "50% of X in an individual is determined by genes", but rather that "50% of the population variation in X is determined by genes".

He's talking about traits, not genes.

Not all traits are dominant-recessive or determined by single genes, though.

I think the 50% has confused you. As far as I've understood ICBM (correct me if I'm wrong, genetics is really not a field I'm comfortable with), it could've been 32.2% as well.

He's talking about traits and how much they're influenced by genes and other factors. Like we say cancer is both influenced by genetic predisposition and outside influences (like nutrition, radiation exposure etc.).

Well, no one. All that I met understood the concept very well. But I've met some students of medicine (And, in fact, majority of them planned to continue with neurological research) and few others (mainly economists) that were this kind of ultra-adaptionist. All of them have some libertarian leanings, AFAIK.

Well these aren't medical students or physicians but practicing experimental scientists at leading institutions. And while it is more common among those with a medical or physics background I have met molecular biologists who fall into the same trap. And I wouldn’t call it ultra adaptationist but a fundamental misunderstanding of underlying principles. Sure some phenotypic effect we see might be relevant to the function we think based on the correlation data but I have met many who were shocked and didn’t seem to understand the basic concept that natural selection does not produce optimized behavior of every underlying molecular fluctuation in an animal. The biggest finding in the past 30 yrs with the advent of genetic manipulation of the mouse is that genes that people built entire careers on postulating function from correlative biochemistry are apparently dispensable in genetic tests of function.

I think the 50% has confused you. As far as I've understood ICBM (correct me if I'm wrong, genetics is really not a field I'm comfortable with), it could've been 32.2% as well.

Yeah, just threw that percentage out there. Should have probably chosen a different one.

Well these aren't medical students or physicians but practicing experimental scientists at leading institutions. And while it is more common among those with a medical or physics background I have met molecular biologists who fall into the same trap. And I wouldn’t call it ultra adaptationist but a fundamental misunderstanding of underlying principles. Sure some phenotypic effect we see might be relevant to the function we think based on the correlation data but I have met many who were shocked and didn’t seem to understand the basic concept that natural selection does not produce optimized behavior of every underlying molecular fluctuation in an animal. The biggest finding in the past 30 yrs with the advent of genetic manipulation of the mouse is that genes that people built entire careers on postulating function from correlative biochemistry are apparently dispensable in genetic tests of function.

Well, that to me sounds like someone who hasn't kept abreast of research after they got tenure -- something I think should invalidate tenure btw. By that standard, I've never had a professor who didn't *get* evolution.

Question for the other biologists here: have any of you actually read Origin of Species?

:nope:
I actually haven't read any science books, neither any pop science nor real science books (besides some chapters in 3 or 4 books during my master thesis).

The question is: Why should you? It's not anymore revolutionary, it's outdated, probably not good to read, and the basics we learn in school. I can use my time more efficient (...like for posting here :mischief:...).

Well, it's one of the most important papers ever written relating to our field. If for no other reason than that...

... of course, I can't get into Victorian writing. Coupled with the fact that I've already learned everything still relevant keeps me from finishing it.

Question for the other biologists here: have any of you actually read Origin of Species?

No-one expects you to read Newtons original paper "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica", well partly because it's in friggin latin, but mostly because there is no need.
I also didn't read Einstein's original, German (yeah, not going to happen), papers when I studied the Theory of Relativity.

They have been expanded on, improved, partly debunked and so on.
Other than the historical value, why should you?

Nope. I bought a translation last summer, but I don't have time to read it. It's outdated.

Can you build a 24 hour clock inside my head by using DNA computing? Like in the future with jetpacks and everything.

Top Bottom