Ask a Musician

I got it. I thought the "seventh minor" thing was clever.

I liked a lot of it. I thought D saying "I'll just be a second" was not as funny as the other lines, but pretty clever.

got most of it.
I think I liked the first line the most. Got an instant smile on my face and set the mood for the rest :)

:lol: That's brilliant. I have to say I liked the 'major development' line a lot. :D

I thought this would be noteworthy for this thread.

C, E-flat, and G go into a bar. The bartender says, "Sorry, but we don't serve minors." So E-flat leaves, and C and G have an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished, and G is out flat. F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough. D comes in and heads for the bathroom, saying, "Excuse me; I'll just be a second." Then A comes in, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor. Then the bartender notices B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and says, "Get out! You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight." E-flat comes back the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender says, "You're looking sharp tonight. Come on in, this could be a major development." Sure enough, E-flat soon takes off his suit and everything else, and is au natural. Eventually C sobers up and realizes in horror that he's under a rest. C is brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to 10 years of D.S. without Coda at an upscale correctional facility

To make it a question, does everyone here understand this? What's your favorite line?

The first line. No, the line before that. Noteworthy. Hah hah hah. Punz.

More seriously, and to answer you, I actually recognize all of the terms, but as its in English, I don't think I'd be good at explaining them, nor recognize everything as the correct thing. I'm happy to say I know all the terms in Danish though...

... And seriously, musical translation is an issue at times, down to the most basic level: We don't use B in Denmark. We use H. B is what you call Bb.

The first line. No, the line before that. Noteworthy. Hah hah hah. Punz.

More seriously, and to answer you, I actually recognize all of the terms, but as its in English, I don't think I'd be good at explaining them, nor recognize everything as the correct thing. I'm happy to say I know all the terms in Danish though...

... And seriously, musical translation is an issue at times, down to the most basic level: We don't use B in Denmark. We use H. B is what you call Bb.

Huh? So you go from G to A to B to H to C?

You wouldn't happen to know why that is? I'd love to know how that happened.

You wouldn't happen to know why that is? I'd love to know how that happened.

No idea, but here's a list of the musical names in different areas (Scroll a little down):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note

I was a little off though, naming Gis as G#, but it's technically correct: When written, we write G#, when pronounced, we say Gis. It's shorter too!

While the English music notes seem to be the standard today, I think the do re mi system was most probably the first. Someone here should know this though.

Top Bottom