Ask a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Groff: no worries.

@Mechanicalsalvation: what is your question? ;)

Is this urh normal in Russia ?
I mean the found shoe boxes filled with nearly 700k in cash and this should have been rather damning evidence I would think. I guess this is just how Russian government works.

Kremlin Sees 'No Problem' In Disgraced Customs Head Continuing Service

The Kremlin sees “no problem” in disgraced former customs chief Andrei Belyaninov continuing his career in government service, the RBC news website reported Friday.

Belyaninov resigned Thursday after police raided his home in connection with a smuggling case. The Federal Security Service (FSB) found shoe boxes piled with cash, expensive paintings, luxurious rooms filled with antiques and even an indoor swimming pool.

President Vladimir Putin's spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters Friday that he doesn’t know if Belyaninov will take up another government post, but that “nothing prevents him from doing so.” After submitting his resignation, Belyaninov had expressed a desire to keep working in government.

The raid was part of a criminal investigation into St. Petersburg businessman Dmitry Mikhalchenko, who was arrested on smuggling charges in March. Belyaninov has not been charged in the case and has been classified as a witness.

The raid and resignation came amid a wave of sackings. Putin dismissed four regional governors, four presidential envoys and an ambassador, replacing several of them with officials with a law enforcement background.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/kre...n-disgraced-official-continuing-service-54795

Is a flat cap associated to homosexuals in Russia?

A friend of mine suspected he was thought to be gay when he was in Moscow, and thought it was because of his hat.

Now that oil is below $40 a barrel again and with sanctions cutting off access to international capital markets... Will Russia actually try to start reforming its corrupt state dominated economy? Maybe allow some real competition instead of the virtually monopolies Putin cronies have set up for themselves?

If they don't then how do they plan on getting the economy growing again? Just pray for oil prices to magically go up again?

More importantly, what does the government tell its citizens about it?

What is going on? Putin invaded. Why? Because he was really upset and butt hurt about the people rising up against his corrupt puppet who was stealong everything not nailed down. Naturally, Putin had to tell lots of lies to try to justify his misdeeds but, fortunately, their were useful idiots whp were willing to swallow his lies.

What is going on? Putin invaded. Why? Because he was really upset and butt hurt about the people rising up against his corrupt puppet who was stealong everything not nailed down. Naturally, Putin had to tell lots of lies to try to justify his misdeeds but, fortunately, their were useful idiots whp were willing to swallow his lies.

You dont seem to be neither Russian nor person with a real insight. Please keep your silly opinions for "Ask a naive person" thread.

More importantly, what does the government tell its citizens about it?
It says that the model which allowed our economy to grow fast and nearly doubled our GDP in 2000s, is not effective anymore and can maintain only about 1-2% growth a year. We need reforms which would diversify and modernize economy, make management on different levels more effective. There are two development programs being prepared, one of them (which I personally have higher expectations for) is prepared by former finance minister, liberal economist L. Kudrin and his team. There are rumors that he may become a next prime minister, which in my opinion would be a good decision.

From your perspective what is going on in Ukraine and what caused it?
A civil war, limited in scale so far. The specific event which triggered the conflict, was probably a Russian decision to take over Crimea - a separatist region, populated mostly by people with pro-Russian stance. It happened after the democratically elected Ukrainian president was forcefully deposed in violation of constitution and Ukraine entered a state of turmoil. The Crimea events inspired pro-Russian population of South-Eastern parts of Ukraine to take action, demanding the people who seized power in Kiev, federalization of the country and giving their region wider autonomy. The central government tried to use force to suppress uprising, which led to a military conflict with already thousands of victims.

The main underlying reason why it could happen, in my opinion, is a failure of Ukrainian government to properly integrate national minorities. Desire to build a nation state basing solely on Ukrainian culture and nationalism and failing to account for a multitude of ethnic and culture groups of Ukrainian citizens. Another reason is that Ukraine had become a battleground in geopolitical rivalry between great powers, where each one of them propped up different fractions and tried to bring them to power.

Yeah, I am the niave person where as you probably believe there was some secret American coup but are not niave, right?

I believe things are complicated and many sided and has to be judged as such. Simplistic answers may bring us false sense of satisfaction and security and can perpetuate our present illusions of knowledge but cant offer us any real solutions to our problems.

A civil war, limited in scale so far. The specific event which triggered the conflict, was probably a Russian decision to take over Crimea - a separatist region, populated mostly by people with pro-Russian stance. It happened after the democratically elected Ukrainian president was forcefully deposed in violation of constitution and Ukraine entered a state of turmoil. The Crimea events inspired pro-Russian population of South-Eastern parts of Ukraine to take action, demanding the people who seized power in Kiev, federalization of the country and giving their region wider autonomy. The central government tried to use force to suppress uprising, which led to a military conflict with already thousands of victims.

The main underlying reason why it could happen, in my opinion, is a failure of Ukrainian government to properly integrate national minorities. Desire to build a nation state basing solely on Ukrainian culture and nationalism and failing to account for a multitude of ethnic and culture groups of Ukrainian citizens.

That's a very unbiased viewpoint.

Interestingly, this kind of mentality of ethnic nationalism is also sweeping all of Europe right now, exacerbated by the huge influx of people from the Middle East and North Africa, combined with terrorist attacks, a stuttering economy, and in my opinion left wing zealotry.

Another reason is that Ukraine had become a battleground in geopolitical rivalry between great powers, where each one of them propped up different fractions and tried to bring them to power.

Who do you believe put the current Ukrainian Government in power? To what extend was the Russian government involved with the pro-Russian rebels?

Who do you believe put the current Ukrainian Government in power?
I can't name the concrete person or organization. All what I know is that they came to power after a wave of mass protests in Kiev, which started as a grassroot movement, but later became much more consolidated organization, properly coordinated and financed, able to successfully resist police forces. Financing of Maidan movement (my guess) most likely came from Ukrainian oligarchs who leaned to pro-nationalist camp and were competing for power against Yanukovich and other Donetsk oligarchs. As anti-Russian movement, they also got significant political, media and probably, also financial support from the US.

In general, the current government managed to "ride the wave" of people's protests against corruption and poverty, and successfully organize these protests into a force which was able to depose the Yanukovich government. Since then, corruption and poverty only became much worse and people occasionally protest, but without proper coordination and financing, it doesn't develop into significant uprising.

To what extend was the Russian government involved with the pro-Russian rebels?
In Crimea, Russia sent special forces which initially seized a few strategic objects (such as Simpheropol airport). Pro-Russian local activists did the rest of the job, having Russian troops as a coverage. Ukraine had about 20000 troops in the area, but most of them were local people who simply switched sides and joined Russian army and navy. Literally joined, many of them signed new contracts and remain to serve in the same place, but in Russian army. The soldiers who remained loyal to Ukraine were let go.

In Crimea, Russia sent special forces which initially seized a few strategic objects (such as Simpheropol airport). Pro-Russian local activists did the rest of the job, having Russian troops as a coverage. Ukraine had about 20000 troops in the area, but most of them were local people who simply switched sides and joined Russian army and navy. Literally joined, many of them signed new contracts and remain to serve in the same place, but in Russian army. The soldiers who remained loyal to Ukraine were let go.

That would certainly make sense, since Crimea was always a part of Russia and only ended up as a part of Ukraine after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Early on I saw Russia putting out reports that the Ukrainian Nationalists who overthrew the government were Nazis. Undeniably ethnic tensions are playing a role here and considering the history of the region during WWII a military coup sympathetic, or adhering to that kind of an ideology could be a real possibility especially after people are divided along ethnic and nationalistic lines. Is there any truth, or evidence to support the Russian government's claims, or was this an exaggeration on their part of some elements within the groups of protesters?

Early on I saw Russia putting out reports that the Ukrainian Nationalists who overthrew the government were Nazis. Undeniably ethnic tensions are playing a role here and considering the history of the region during WWII a military coup sympathetic, or adhering to that kind of an ideology could be a real possibility especially after people are divided along ethnic and nationalistic lines. Is there any truth, or evidence to support the Russian government's claims, or was this an exaggeration on their part of some elements within the groups of protesters?
Nationalists played significant role in overthrowing previous government in Ukraine. They might be not the most numerous group, but certainly one of the most active ones. The problem which has been reported, is that some of their groups are outright Neo-Nazis and they have been incorporated into new government power structures, such as the National Guard. Initially it was reported by Russian media only, and it took about a year for such reports to appear also in Western Media:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/milita...financed-by-us-nonlethal-military-aid/5472801

Thing is, as it mentioned in the article, the US and other Western countries financial aid was also supporting such Neo-Nazi groups at least in 2015 and I'm not sure if this support is ceased now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom