• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

At Least 120 Dead in Paris Attacks

the essential thing about all this stuff is the double ISIL took on the chin , Russian airpower apparently hurts as much as the American airpower when there are AK-47 toting people around to bomb . With the defeat around that airbase in Halep and the loss of Sinjar . In Turkey we have been already subjected to "realisation" that Germans had issued a general warning about an attack on a concert 8 days before the attacks . The French had similar generalized warnings for at least a month . So ISIL compansates with bloodshed , gets 20 bombs in return in places it won't hurt . The first thing to do is a general disengagement from proxy use "creatures" like ISIL , and naturally ı really don't think the West will ever agree on that . So , the second is the prevention of smarties from messing in the internal affairs of neighbours , no supportive tone for invasions of Syria by Turkey . Snowball in Hell ? Oh , then you start hoping for WW III where some bunch of Commies defeats the West , that will be a quick end for ISIL .

False flag claims also appear:

Link to video.

TBH Isis is the new Al-Qaeda. Once the old Goldstein gets too old it is time for the new Goldstein.

However, this being Europe and not the US, it is going to be a very hard sell, particularly in the aftermath of Blairism.

This morning BBC had a nice interview with Lebanese blogger about West's selective solidarity and many people tinting their social media picture in the colors of the French flag. Just a day before Paris attacks there were Beirut attacks with 40 innocent people killed. And then there was bombing in Baghdad just before it. And in Yemen. And then the Russian plane. As horrible as Paris attacks were we should all remember pain feels the same in any part of the world. At least Egypt did the right thing:

I don't understand how this is an argument against me.
It wasn't. It was an indication that I was getting tired of talking to you as you weren't telling me anything new. Yes, I am quite aware of the difficulties in catching them. That doesn't tell me how we can catch them. It gets quite boring talking about problems without talking about solutions.

This morning BBC had a nice interview with Lebanese blogger about West's selective solidarity and many people tinting their social media picture in the colors of the French flag. Just a day before Paris attacks there were Beirut attacks with 40 innocent people killed. And then there was bombing in Baghdad just before it. And in Yemen. And then the Russian plane. As horrible as Paris attacks were we should all remember pain feels the same in any part of the world. At least Egypt did the right thing:

Don't forget the attack in Kenya that killed 147.

To be fair(ish), people only know what they are told, and the media that most Westerners consumed only told them Paris happened.

I only knew about Beirut after someone posted about it on CFC. I don't see it in my usual news sources or social media at all unless I explicitly search for "Beirut".

To be fair(ish), people only know what they are told, and the media that most Westerners consumed only told them Paris happened.

I only knew about Beirut after someone posted about it on CFC. I don't see it in my usual news sources or social media at all unless I explicitly search for "Beirut".

I was thinking about this the other day, after the attacks (or maybe it was before and I just don't remember).

We like to think we live in a globalized world where a ton of people are either ignorant or don't care about a significant part of the globe. For example, Paris will get a ton of press and provoke massive reactions from people in western countries. While a similar and deadlier attack in Kenya, Nigeria, or Beirut will all but be ignored.

However, I'm thinking we don't live in a globalized world. Western people only care about the western region of the world, and the western press will dedicate itself towards that region. "World news" from the BBC or CNN is really just western news with some world stuff thrown in for good measure.

Rest of the globe is probably like this too. Kenyan press will probably report on Paris, but I bet the university attack is where the real focus is.

People are still more concerned with their immediate region/neighbors than the rest of the globe, probably because it either affects them more or they can relate more to the people involved. I don't think this comes out of ignorance, but rather, our species/culture just isn't a globalized one yet. We don't take the whole world into consideration. Maybe (or hopefully) this will change in the future.

/showerthought

Comedy Central might be taking some heat in the coming days, they reran South Park ripping on the French, the Somali pirate episode.

I was listening to some guy on TV describing the situation with IS, he said its an alliance between Saddam's military establishment and religious fanatics - they're effective because it combines an authoritarian bureaucracy with plenty of zealous cannon fodder.

However, I'm thinking we don't live in a globalized world. Western people only care about the western region of the world, and the western press will dedicate itself towards that region. "World news" from the BBC or CNN is really just western news with some world stuff thrown in for good measure.

Rest of the globe is probably like this too. Kenyan press will probably report on Paris, but I bet the university attack is where the real focus is.

Except Western culture and media is loud and has ubiquitous global reach, and Rest-of-the-World's not so much.

So when the West reacts to one tragedy and not the other, our hypocrisy is on display for the whole world to say.

We don't live in a globalised or non-globalised world; I'd say we live in an unequally globalised one, which is sustained by forces beyond the control of individuals. That has consequences, because humans, like other primates, detest inequality, more so when it seems to be arbitrary, so the divides between the haves, the have-mosts, the have-somes, and the have-nots are bound to produce some seismic disruptions now and then.

The Kenya university and Russian airplane incidents got a lot of attention here, the Beirut incident got some attention.

Except Western culture and media is loud and has ubiquitous global reach, and Rest-of-the-World's not so much.

So when the West reacts to one tragedy and not the other, our hypocrisy is on display for the whole world to say.

We don't live in a globalised or non-globalised world; I'd say we live in an unequally globalised one, which is sustained by forces beyond the control of individuals. That has consequences, because humans, like other primates, detest inequality, more so when it seems to be arbitrary, so the divides between the haves, the have-mosts, the have-somes, and the have-nots are bound to produce some seismic disruptions now and then.

Does the rest of the world digest Western media in the same way the west does? I feel like its a very western/Eurocentric thing to claim that our world news is the world news. The rest of the world uses our world news because we are the world, and then when it focuses only on the west, we do a disservice to the rest of the world by ignoring it.

I think they use their own sources of media and news, which then focuses in on their region with the side stories being that of western or other regional news pieces.

That's what I would think though. I haven't lived outside the U.S. or the west so I have no idea how ubiquitous western media is as a presence.

I was listening to some guy on TV describing the situation with IS, he said its an alliance between Saddam's military establishment and religious fanatics - they're effective because it combines an authoritarian bureaucracy with plenty of zealous cannon fodder.

There's some propaganda (being spread internationally, I noticed) to that effect. It comes without any supporting evidence and I very much suspect it is a lie. Some individuals may be part of it now but Saddam's regime was secular and its military spent decades killing those religious fanatics whenever they showed up. There's any number of banners they could fight under if they wanted, but they'd be nationalist, not religious.

No, but events in Paris seem to get disproportionately more attention even outside of Western world.

If that's the case then my shower thought kind of fails.

Why a nuke? Many innocent people live in the same area controlled by Isis, why doom them with further pain and suffering?

Putin sending in 150,000 soldiers to wipe out ISIS
:dubious:
Putin had to buy additional transport ships to supply even current base with a few thousands of personnel in total. Unless he intends to invade also Georgia and Turkey, Russia simply has no logistical capability to supply such expeditionary force overseas.

Top Bottom