Atom Bomb Drop

Ok it needs to give damage to units
It should return from mission or not? :)

Lol ppl in Los Alamos have more time than a week ;)

all that matters with this unit is that it does the "bombing run" animation and then has the effect of a nuke. probly shouldn't survive, no

run the above unit in a test as a jetfighter and you can see what it looks like

- The unit needs to die on delivery.
- The unit cannot change existing nuke/bombing missions as they're required for other units.

So basically, it needs to be setup as a nuke, but with the bomber run, and not mess with the existing nuke/bomber missions.

That was the tricky bit, hence why I say, if someone can do this for me 'n Garret, you WILL be famous for it. ;)

Ok it needs to give damage to units
It should return from mission or not? :)

Lol ppl in Los Alamos have more time than a week ;)

Its not successfully if it does not return :D

Then one other thing would be fun to have different types of bombs that i can carrie like H- and A - bombs :nuke:

Why wouldn't you want it to return? That makes no sense. It shouldn't be a suicide mission. If that's the case, why even bother? Just use an ICBM. :)

It should be able to return from a mission. The Bomb the plane drops should still have the same diplo effects as an ICBM. That'll keep all but most insane from nuking a city every turn.

Somebody who knows how to make Missions should be able to figure this out.

Why wouldn't you want it to return? That makes no sense. It shouldn't be a suicide mission. If that's the case, why even bother? Just use an ICBM. :)

It should be able to return from a mission. The Bomb the plane drops should still have the same diplo effects as an ICBM. That'll keep all but most insane from nuking a city every turn.

Somebody who knows how to make Missions should be able to figure this out.

Sooo...... basically you want a Build Once - Use Many nuke? :crazyeye:

Sooo...... basically you want a Build Once - Use Many nuke? :crazyeye:

Yeah... basically. :nuke: The Enola Gay made it back to base without doing a voluntary nosedive into the Pacific! :lol: Nuclear bombers played a vital role in the 20th century... too vital to be ignored, IMHO.

GeoModder said:
Since it's basically a plane, it does have a chance of being shot down by a mere SAM

It just seems like the "use-once-and-destroy" method seems a little unimaginative. Bombers do have limited range, so it's not like the global-reach of an ICBM, plus GeoModder's right... it does have a chance to be shot down by a SAM unit, afterall.

Perhaps once BTS comes out, the Atom Bomb could use the scaled down damage characteristics of the Tactical Nuke?

Yeah... basically. :nuke: The Enola Gay made it back to base without doing a voluntary nosedive into the Pacific! :lol: Nuclear bombers played a vital role in the 20th century... too vital to be ignored, IMHO.

It just seems like the "use-once-and-destroy" method seems a little unimaginative. Bombers do have limited range, so it's not like the global-reach of an ICBM, plus GeoModder's right... it does have a chance to be shot down by a SAM unit, afterall.

Perhaps once BTS comes out, the Atom Bomb could use the scaled down damage characteristics of the Tactical Nuke?

basically, the unit is to represent the only times nuclear weapons have been used. what we need is a single shot (the bomber came back, but the bomb didn't, and i dont care about the bomber; its just not in the scope)

what this will translate for what Dale and I need is this:

1. you build this unit that looks like a bomber, but costs the amount of a nuke.

2. this unit has only one mission, like an icbm.

3. when you activate the mission, it will be the same, technically, as an ICBM. this also means that it will not return. we are not making a bomber that is reusable with nukes or anything.

4. but the novel graphics and animation should be the silver colored bomber that flys over the city, and the "little boy" bomb comes out and then when it hits starts the nuke, as the plane flys away. (this part has been already been created, and can be freely downloaded above)

Since it's basically a plane, it does have a chance of being shot down by a mere SAM. ;)

What I want it for is something specific. To have it return would not work in the whole concept of what I want.

I will look at it, Dale, but I doubt that I'll be able to figure it out in the time provided.

One question: why can't you just use your kamikaze schema from your Combat Mod? Doesn't that kill the unit automatically? (I think I see why--it still doesn't fix the nuke part of it. But it sounds like a good jumping off point.)

At any rate, I have put this in my sig temporarily to gather attention. :D Hopefully someone can help.

Ah, I see. This is for a specific Scenario. That's cool. :)

In that case... while I'm no SDK expert, it seems that if you changed the animation for a Nuke to a bomber run... that would probably do it.

Maybe Python could do it... I dunno.

I wonder if there's a way to "stockpile" things like Atom Bombs? Like, you build them in the city and can somehow equip them to a unit. They use the item... then it goes away.

That sounds like the quantitative resource thread I started, Grave. ;)

At any rate, I think the problem with simply using the bomber anim instead of the ICBM one is that the game still drops it from the sky.

As well as upsetting that animation for other standard units, like bombers.

Here is a modified version of your bomber with the jet fighter bomb effect and sound replaced with the explosion effect you supplied and the sound from an icbm explosion.

Bomber.zip

The only file I modified in your actual bomber files was the jetfighter_md_bomb.kf file. Everything else is just to make it work (added the unit to the unit infos, art file, and added a reference in the effects file and the audio file).

Since I hard coded audio and effect names in the kf file you have to use those exact names (or change them in the file).

I didnt do anything to have the unit killed on completion. I would just have a check in the bomb SDK function and kill the unit if it matches this unit type. Or use an existing or new boolean that decides if a unit gets killed when it bombs.

I also didnt change the effect of the bombing (so even though it looks like a nuclear explosion its actually just effecting like a normal bomber). I just changed the art stuff.

Lastly, the scale you have that explosion is so large it doesn't look to be happening in the right tile. You may want to scale it down a bit.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

ps: the included file is a warlords mod with a "Nuclear Bomber" as an additional unit.

It seems like maybe we're going about this the wrong way. Is it possible to change the ICBM animation, instead of messing around with the bomber missions, so that you see "Little Boy" fall from the sky as the bomber passes overhead (high up)? If so you could just copy and modify the ICBM animations without messing up the original stuff.

Top Bottom